Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 08:13 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're very defensive. Are you a person or a program that reacts to certain prompts?
Oh well, maybe I am because I love my state and get annoyed when people talk a lot of nonsense about it. You're quite defensive yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 PM

914 posts, read 1,983,646 times
I don't know if there are ordinances against it or not, but even if there are ordinances in place then there has to be a will to enforce those ordinances. I would like to think that enforcing where cars and boats are parked is fairly low on the priority list when it comes to spending tax payer money.

Fortunately I believe that in the vast majority of areas in Lexington this does not happen.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:18 AM

50 posts, read 146,260 times
In my own defense as the OP, I wasn't being critical of Kentucky/Lexington as a southern state, or as being "redneck". So far as I know, the world doesn't get much more redneck than the part of Ohio where I grew up, and my college roommate told me her hometown in Michigan's Upper Peninsula was in fact the redneck capital of the world, and it's even further north! People are people, everywhere you go.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:49 AM

83 posts, read 219,965 times
I really feel sad for people who concern themselves with such trivial crap. The common excuse is: "well it brings down property values," which I hate anyway because it is a blatantly selfish statement, but in reality, there is more to it than money. To these people I say: Take a step back and re-evaluate. I once worked for a guy who couldn't stand how the company on the property adjacent to us only mowed their lawn every two weeks. Guess where this a-hole lived? Firebrook. Now in his defense, he did have a real mental illness... at least I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I would never want to be in the same category as people like this, so I welcome cars in yards and don't move into over-priced homes near any sick (and sometimes racist) people. I also avoid favored school districts. One of these days when I get enough money, just for kicks I'm going to buy a piece of property in one of these pretentious neighborhoods, let the weeds on the lawn grow to shoulder-height, park some cars/boats/motorcyles/campers/ATVs/dune buggies/airplanes/living room furniture in the front yard, and hang up some clothes on a clothesline in the back yard. They would throw a fit.
And btw, parking cars in the street looks almost just as bad as parking them in yards, in my opinion. It may not be "redneck" but it sure looks just as "ghetto". Park it in the driveway so I don't have to take your mirrors off when I have the misfortune of finding myself driving down your street, or better yet, that lawn looks like a good parking spot to me. If you park two or three on there, you might even be able to get out of having to mow your grass and you'll become a more environmentally-friendly person, which is definitely "in" right now.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:43 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
I really feel sad for people who concern themselves with such trivial crap. The common excuse is: "well it brings down property values," which I hate anyway because it is a blatantly selfish statement, but in reality, there is more to it than money. To these people I say: Take a step back and re-evaluate. I once worked for a guy who couldn't stand how the company on the property adjacent to us only mowed their lawn every two weeks. Guess where this a-hole lived? Firebrook. Now in his defense, he did have a real mental illness... at least I always gave him the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I would never want to be in the same category as people like this, so I welcome cars in yards and don't move into over-priced homes near any sick (and sometimes racist) people. I also avoid favored school districts. One of these days when I get enough money, just for kicks I'm going to buy a piece of property in one of these pretentious neighborhoods, let the weeds on the lawn grow to shoulder-height, park some cars/boats/motorcyles/campers/ATVs/dune buggies/airplanes/living room furniture in the front yard, and hang up some clothes on a clothesline in the back yard. They would throw a fit.
And btw, parking cars in the street looks almost just as bad as parking them in yards, in my opinion. It may not be "redneck" but it sure looks just as "ghetto". Park it in the driveway so I don't have to take your mirrors off when I have the misfortune of finding myself driving down your street, or better yet, that lawn looks like a good parking spot to me. If you park two or three on there, you might even be able to get out of having to mow your grass and you'll become a more environmentally-friendly person, which is definitely "in" right now.
This is kind of a disturbing post. Nothing is wrong with having a perfectly neat yard. An unkept yard tells me the person that lives there is lazy. Or at least that's what I assume.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM

50 posts, read 146,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrc5391 View Post
I really feel sad for people who concern themselves with such trivial crap. The common excuse is: "well it brings down property values," which I hate anyway because it is a blatantly selfish statement
It is not a selfish statement unless the only property values you are trying to maintain are your own. I don't want to do anything that would negatively effect the amount of money my neighbors could get for their homes, either.

Many of my immediate neighbors are retired seniors. A difference of five or ten thousand dollars is a big deal when you have to pay for a retirement or nursing home. Perhaps you haven't gone through that stage of life with your parents yet, or perhaps they have enough money that it doesn't matter to them whether they get a fair price for their home. A friend of mine had to sell her house as the result of a divorce--a decline in property values had a real impact for her and her children, too. I am probably not going to sell my house for twenty years, but for lots of people, it does matter.

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

83 posts, read 219,965 times
What's "disturbing" is the lack of a sense of humor exhibited by some people on this forum, but I admit most of what I said, I am dead serious about. And just fyi, my parents live on agriculture zoned property, as do their neighbors, so they can do anything they damn well please. They keep their garbage cans at the end of the driveway for as long as they want, they used to have a clothesline, and they aren't obligated to mow. Some neighbors fence their property and own horses, others choose to neatly manicure their lawns what seems like twice a week, and one, who runs a landscaping business, is busy putting in greenhouses and parks tractors all over his property. They all do their own thing, and nobody bothers the others, and yet, there is at least one house on the street worth a million dollars, and a string of houses right across the road on another street all worth at least a million each (they are all new McMansions). I guess growing up in this kind of environment, I just can't find it in my heart to give a damn what other people are doing with their own property. If I felt otherwise, I would move to a golf-course or a gated community. If I couldn't afford that and had to settle for a modest middle class living, regardless of what my neighbors were doing, I would keep my mouth shut. Take a ride through eastern KY sometime... it will really put things into perspective. This is a free-market and homeowners are entitled to NOTHING other than the use and protection of their own property. Everything else, including what the resale value will be in 10 years, is speculation, and deserves no protection under law other than that provided in zoning requirements existing at the time of your purchase (and neighborhood associations functioning as the free market solution).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area