Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 12:51 PM

50 posts, read 146,176 times

Advertisements

I just drove through a neighborhood here in Lexington I haven't driven through in 15 years. (Not sure what it is called, some streets were Pimlico Parkway and Gainesway)

It seemed largely well-maintained, but it seemed like every couple of blocks there was one or two houses with lots of clunker cars, a boat, etc. not just in the driveway but on the yard. I felt sorry for the folks who were keeping up their properties that others were bringing down the look and value of the area.

We moved to Lexington recently from a city where this was not allowed. No parking on grass, and no non-running cars left sitting. I am sure that in the really economically opressed areas of that city, the rules were not enforced as tightly as they were in our middle-class neighborhood, but the fact that so many of the houses in the area I drove through today were so neatly kept and nice in general made me wonder whether there is a zoning problem or something in Lexington that keeps neighbors who don't want a bunch of junked-up properties on their street from getting anything done about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Kentucky is a conservative state where people believe in capitalism and the Free Market. That means that how you use your property is your own business.

The Free Market, conservative solution for you is to buy the offending properties and then do what YOU want with them.

I lived in a subdivision in Lexington that had a covenant that controlled such things, when some people in the neighborhood parked boats and such in the driveway I complained to the association and the association got the people in line. People knew about the restrictions and were free to buy or not. But government wasn't involved, nor should it be.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:52 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,568,238 times
Most neighborhoods in Lexington are not like this. Many have HOA's. Ohio has it's fair share of bad neighborhoods too. I'm assuming that's where you're from....

Old 04-18-2009, 07:01 PM

50 posts, read 146,176 times
I didn't move here from Ohio, but from a large city on the east coast with plenty of "bad neighborhoods" and obviously in those neighborhoods things are more run down than in neighborhoods where people have the money to make repairs, etc.

I was just surprised since most of Lexington seems so much nicer and cleaner than that city, that there aren't similar ordinances about things like cars parked on grass and non-running cars. It doesn't cost money to park on the street instead of on the grass, so it isn't limited to people with more means and isn't really imposing a burden on homeowners to have a rule like that.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:04 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,052,562 times
That neighborhood over there kinda has that culture. It suits some, and bothers others.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Ohio has it's fair share of bad neighborhoods too. I'm assuming that's where you're from....
You're very defensive.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
You're very defensive.
I have to be to some Northerners, sorry just how I am.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,732,836 times
Cars in yards is just....redneck. There is no nice way to put it. I have seen it all over KY, but mostly in rural areas. Only place in Lex I have seen it are a few areas north and nw of DT. Where are we talking about?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
Cars in yards is just....redneck. There is no nice way to put it. I have seen it all over KY, but mostly in rural areas. Only place in Lex I have seen it are a few areas north and nw of DT. Where are we talking about?
You mean in every state right? Because this goes on everywhere people. Even in Northern states....

Old 04-22-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
You mean in every state right? Because this goes on everywhere people. Even in Northern states....

You're very defensive. Are you a person or a program that reacts to certain prompts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area