Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:35 AM

13 posts, read 73,902 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My name is Kelly I have lived all of my life in Maine.
My family has made the decision of moving to either Kentucky, Or Virginia.

The cost of living in Maine is almost unbearable..

I was wondering if anyone could tell me about Lexington, and Cynthiana Harrison County? I think..

Im not looking for a big city, maybe a smaller type. It would be nice to find a small community for my children to have other kids to play with.

I also would like to know about the Summer's how bad is the heat and how bad is the Winter's.
How often do you get tornado's?
We get hurricanes from time to time but no tornado's...Sounds very scary...

Close enough on the outskirt of city to go shopping, movies, or whatnot.

The winter's here are getting pretty rough as i get older.

I am so sick of snow and more snow!

The temp here gets down below zero in winter's,and the summer's get above 90 with 80-90% humidity.

Thanks for any information you can give me,
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:11 PM

891 posts, read 3,041,370 times
Cynthiana is a VERY small town. It is about 45 minutes outside of Lexington. It's quaint but very rural. Personally I couldn't live in a town that tiny. There's just not much going on. I have a friend that moved back from Cynthiana after a few years because she couldn't deal with the school system. Lexington is much larger but you have many neighborhoods that give you a community feel. The school system here is going to be much better than Cynthiana's too.
The weather here is not too extreme. There are certainly some hot, humid summer days but it isn't that way the entire summer. Winter is about the same, some really cold days but they don't tend to stay that way too long.
If Lexington is too large for you you might consider Versailles. It's only about 15 minutes from Lexington.
As for tornadoes I've lived here my entire life and have not experienced one. We joke that Lexington has a protective cover over it as it seems like the tornadoe's always hit all around us but not directly here. But I still have always lived in a house with a basement just to be on the safe side.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:23 PM

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it.
I also meant to ask about Job positions there, My husband is a supervisor for commercial and residential building. Is there much work there in this dept?
I imagin that Cynthiana wont have much if any, But have been looking into Lexington as well to live, Or Falmouth. I found a nice looking home there. Just want to be more where the jobs are in need.
Thanks again, You have been so helpful..
Kelly

Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 PM

891 posts, read 3,041,370 times
I would think your husband would find a job pretty quickly. Lexington has a LOT of building going on. Some of the larger companies are; Haymaker/Bean, NUTI Builders, Back Construction.
Falmouth probably has very affordable housing; there's nothing there! It is even more remote than Cynthiana.
Look at visitlex.org for more general info.
Good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM

51 posts, read 283,589 times
Paris, KY is in between Cynthiana and Lexington....still close enough to commute to Lexington (which I do daily)...Nothing against Cynthiana at all--My neighbor was born and raised there but it is a little far from Lexington and you are much more limited in terms of jobs, dining, shopping without going to Lexington. Living in Bourbon (Paris) or Clark (Winchester) counties you are close enough to come to the Hamburg Pavilion area in SE Lexington where there are more shopping & dining options than one ever really needs with a very nice cinema to catch a movie. Versailles is not bad either as lexingtongal mentioned, just some parts of the area out there get more plane noise from the airport.
I've only been to Maine once in my life back in 1983 when I was 10..I remember it being a beautiful place but sounds like the cost of living in New England has really risen over the years...
Best of luck to you--let me know if I can answer any other questions for you

Old 04-05-2007, 10:39 AM

528 posts, read 2,472,474 times
Dreamdust.....we moved to KY from Maine, too....for many of the same reasons you mentioned - tired of long winters, high cost of living and taxes, and BUGS (mosquitos and black flies used to eat us alive there). We love it here, and would not return to Maine if you paid us. That said, there are some lovely things about Maine, but after fifteen years there it was the right time for us to move. (Didn't you get a foot of snow last night, or something like that - ouch!)

Our property taxes are one-third of what they were in Maine, and we have a bigger house, twice as much land, three barns, etc. No bugs to speak of, and we can eat outside in the summer and not be attacked. There are some very humid days, but the entire summer is not like that, and frankly I thought the humidity was worse in mid-coast Maine where we lived....of course, central air here helps, too

Winters are tolerable - I think we had about five inches of snow total where we live, though there will be some very cold days...there was a three week stretch this year of unusually cold weather, though the entire south and southeast got it, not just KY. However, we also had gorgeous weather in March and we've been in shorts and t-shirts for the past week, up until yesterday. Trees and flowers are blooming here already, daffodils up, etc. So even if there are some cold winter days, spring comes much earlier....and fall lasts much longer.

The area around Lexington is not especially prone to tornadoes....yes, it can happen but we've even seen them in Maine! We had a severe storm watch across KY the other night (there were actually a few funnel clouds spotted in the southern part of the state, I believe) but it was mostly just very bad winds and thunder, lightening, etc. The good news is that the news stations are right on top of it, and break into programming regularly to warn people of bad weather coming (sometimes they are a little TOO enthusiastic about it), even to the point of saying "at 7:08 this town will see the brunt of it, at 7:14 this town will see it", etc.....actually pinpointing the track of the storm....so that you have a few minutes at least, to prepare, especially if it WAS a tornado. As someone else mentioned, the greater Lexington area seems to almost have a cover on it, as bad weather often moves either north or south of the area....don't know why that is, but I have noticed it, too.

The people here are very warm and welcoming....the scenary is spectacular as you drive around the area with the beautiful horse farms everywhere. I don't have children so can't comment much on the schools, but there are others here who can. I've only been in Cynthiana a few times, but it seemed kind of run down. You might want to look at Georgetown rather than Cynthiana, which has a lot of building going on due to Toyota...it's only about 15 minutes from Lexington. Paris, as another poster mentioned, is also great....very rural feel with lovely horse farms all over the place but only about 15 miles from Lexington. I'm just past Paris, in a rural area but still within a 30 minute drive into the city (which will be less once they widen the main road from two lanes to four in about five years). South of Lexington are some nice areas, Danville, Nicholasville, etc you might consider - again still rural, yet an easy drive to shopping and Lexington.
Good luck in your decision, let us all know if you have more questions....

Old 04-28-2007, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 3,562 times
Talking Cynthiana, Not all that bad

As a Cynthianan, I must say its a GREAT place to live. Compare crime rates! I work in Lexington & commute daily! When I leave work, I am constantly bombarded with the sounds of sirens from the POLICE when I leave and as I get out of the area. I have family that lives there and say that they would move given the right opportunity because their once "really nice neighborhood" is gone to h*ll; they have about a $500,00 home! I could never live in Lexington.
Also, Cynthiana has several nice factories and is growing. We just got a new Walmart Supercenter (we had one of the old ones that did not include the grocery). Also, you may want to look into Paris; it sits South of Cynthiana but isn't as far to drive to Lexington if your husband wants to work there (maybe 20 minutes) my drive is about 50 minutes to an hour. I wouldn't trade my quite rural living for the mess in Lexington. Speaking of community, the small towns may have their gossip but when needed they band together. In Lexington, I don't see the banding together that we have here. Its not the same and I can't imagine a community feeling there. I have an employee that says she envies the way we live because people don't help each other like we do in Lexington. My neighbors pitch in when we are working and here we still trade out work instead of worrying about what we are going to get out of it. We help them, they return the favor! I like that...try finding it in Lexington, I see more "all about me" attitude there.
You mentioned Falmouth, which is slightly north of Cynthiana, is a smaller city. Also it was the town that was literally wiped out by the flood in 1997. They have done a lot of work to rebuild that city and improve it.
Good luck with your search and I hope you find the place you can call home!

Old 05-04-2007, 08:05 AM

Hi,
Oh I am so happy to hear someone else was from Maine.
I just recieved your response and wanted to reply to you.
We are planning a trip this June to look around in Kentucky.
My Husband already has a Job interview with one of the Construction Companies, In Lexington.
Yes I agree with the BUGS here."The State Bird The Mosquito!"
I had been effected by Lyme disease about 3 yrs ago and have never really recovered. I need warmer climate due to the Arthritis the Lyme disease gave me.
I panick every time i step outside. Or my Kids are out there.
You shouldn't fear going outside your home. This is another reason for leaving. Deer Ticks are wicked bad here.
Are they there????
There seems to be alot of reasons for us moving. Hahah..
Maine is for Vacationers now.
Seems its a Win win for us, Just cant wait to sell and move now.
I did want to ask if you had a hard time talking "as Mainers have a way with the accent" and I hear Kentuckians do as well. Was it ever hard to understand each other?
P.S on the Snow in March..
It turned to rain and we flooded pretty bad. Alot of Roads closed and still are unsafe to drive on.
I wanted to thank you all for the information, And I say you all have a nice friendly hometown atmosphere. I truly appreciate it.
Well now i have told my life story pretty much. I am looking forward to seeing all that Kentucky has to offer.
Thanks again,
Kelly

Old 05-04-2007, 08:09 AM

You said that the tax rate is about a third of Maine. Does anyone know the (mill rate) for Lexington,? Or Versaillies? I probably spelt it wrong.
Thanks again,

Old 09-07-2009, 03:24 AM

22 posts, read 83,277 times
I don't know anything about a mill rate, but I know that Cynthiana is a cool place to grow up in. I actually grew up in Berry, which is about a 15 minute drive north from Cynthiana. Last night I played at a bar about a mile from where I grew up. It was a wonderful homecoming! I met a lot of people I hadn't seen in ten years, and they all said nothing but good things about me. By and large, the people of Cynthiana and Harrsion County are solid people.

It's wet in the city and county and has a lot of history. It might look a little rundown, but it is ten million times better than Falmouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area