Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:57 PM

285 posts, read 902,037 times

Advertisements

Yes, Yes, Yes people are very friendly here in person and on the phone. I also should say I love some of the restaurants my favorite is Cheddar's and my least favorite is Bob Evans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 09:45 AM

5 posts, read 15,104 times
Lexington was founded as a university city (not for UK but Transy), that is why the traffic can be so congested. The city has outgrown its original design. You have to be warned about the humidity, its unavoidable in the summer. For me, these factors are very minor and easy to overcome.
Lexington is a great city for families, & young couples. It has a lot to offer, and is conveniently located south of Cincinnati, East of Louisville, and North of Nashville. Lexington is a great place!

Old 06-19-2009, 08:10 PM

9 posts, read 20,663 times
I'm so glad I found this thread. I'm also relocating from Oregon to Lexington; my husband is going to get his DR. at UK. Having lived in the NW my whole life (I grew up in rainy Seattle), I am also nervous moving so far from home. I do have a question though. Lexington is at the top of the list for worst places to live for allergies, but is that just because it is so green there and there are a lot of plants? I'm only allergic to grass, but coming from 'the grass seed capitol of the world', I can't imagine there is much more grass there than here. Anybody have any ideas? I'm hoping the grass is different, but I'm pretty sure grass is grass and it's going to make me sneeze regardless.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:54 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,971 times
Oh, there is plenty of grass in the Bluegrass. Lots and lots of it, and the stuff is quite well-watered.

The allergies relate to pollen and mold counts. Both are reported in the paper each day, and it always seems to me that the mold is higher than the pollen. Maybe b/c I'm allergic to the mold so I notice it more.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:23 AM

285 posts, read 902,037 times
I had a friend drive my car down loaded and she is allergic to so many things. She never once had a problem. Which shocked me because in AZ she can't drive by a cotton field and spring is a killer for her.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM

844 posts, read 2,101,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timelesschild View Post
there is plenty of grass in the Bluegrass
Double entendre

Old 06-22-2009, 06:08 PM

767 posts, read 2,066,422 times
Lexington is a great family-oriented town. People are very friendly and there are lots of great neighborhoods. UK is world-class university. But if you are looking for a fast and loose party-down lifestyle, Lexington is not the place for you. Overall, it is fairly quiet, laid-back, and conservative. So that is either good or bad, depending on what you are looking for.

Old 06-22-2009, 08:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,109 times
Hey I`m new to the area too, Just moved in from East Texas. The weather in Lexington to me is a blessing. The traffic is also not as bad as in say- Shreveport, LA; the roads are better and they seem to do the road work at night which is smart to me. The people are the most friendly i have ever seen, even while driving. The little petty crimes are also a blessing coming from a area that has 2-3 murders a night. I would rather lose a car stereo over my life anyday. I love being able to go out at night without worry. I`m 20 miles outside of Lexington so I can actually sleep with my windows open and my doors unlocked. I love this area and I love the people even more. If you can't find something in Lexington, go to Louisville. Don't worry it will be exactly the same as your first visit, except you will finally have the time to explore every nook and crany of the area. Your first day off take a drive out to Natural Stone Bridge State Park - pack a lunch and hike up to the top. You'll Love it, also drive HWY 68 to Harrodsburg through the Kentucky River Gorge - it feels like your driving in Oregon. Enjoy everything in Central KY, before you explore outside the central area - so much to do and so little time...

Old 06-23-2009, 05:52 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRunner View Post
Hey I`m new to the area too, Just moved in from East Texas. The weather in Lexington to me is a blessing. The traffic is also not as bad as in say- Shreveport, LA; the roads are better and they seem to do the road work at night which is smart to me. The people are the most friendly i have ever seen, even while driving. The little petty crimes are also a blessing coming from a area that has 2-3 murders a night. I would rather lose a car stereo over my life anyday. I love being able to go out at night without worry. I`m 20 miles outside of Lexington so I can actually sleep with my windows open and my doors unlocked. I love this area and I love the people even more. If you can't find something in Lexington, go to Louisville. Don't worry it will be exactly the same as your first visit, except you will finally have the time to explore every nook and crany of the area. Your first day off take a drive out to Natural Stone Bridge State Park - pack a lunch and hike up to the top. You'll Love it, also drive HWY 68 to Harrodsburg through the Kentucky River Gorge - it feels like your driving in Oregon. Enjoy everything in Central KY, before you explore outside the central area - so much to do and so little time...
Welcome to Kentucky!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:17 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,744,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilo0854 View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes people are very friendly here in person and on the phone. I also should say I love some of the restaurants my favorite is Cheddar's and my least favorite is Bob Evans.
I cant stand either of them. Chains are usually bad, but Cheddar's is one of the lowest quality chains I have ever seen.

One of Louisville's large food critics agrees with me. In fact, he thinks its so bad, he gave it a 69, the equivalent of zero stars in a review several years ago from 2003. I believe Cheddars now has two Louisville locations (one in suburban Indiana):

Robin Garr's Louisville Restaurant Guide / Cheddar's Casual Cafe

"What's the draw at Cheddar's? The portions are big and the drinks the same; the restrooms are clean and the servers friendly. A lot of people, I guess, don't ask for anything more. The food is passable but, when you sum it up, bland and boring. Couple that with a lot of noise and a lot of mistakes - albeit quickly and smilingly corrected - and it's hard to see adding Cheddar's to my list of regular destinations."

Couldnt have said it better...

And back to the OP, welcome and enjoy KY!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area