U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-15-2009, 03:44 PM

186 posts, read 292,060 times
Default Great Public High Schools in Lexington?

Hello.

Can anyone recommend a great public high school in Lexington?
Similar to Dupont Manual High?

Or would we be better off at a private high school? If so, which one?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-15-2009, 04:32 PM

2,850 posts, read 4,681,311 times
Good public - Dunbar, Lafayette and Henry Clay

Unread 06-15-2009, 05:03 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,813,904 times
Lexington public high schools SUCK for the most part! ...NEXT!!!

Consider Beechwood Independent, Boone County or Fort Thomas Independent in Northern KY; Eastern HS, Male HS, Dupont Manual HS or any of the Oldham County high schools in Greater Louisville; or even Daviess, McLean or Hancock Counties in Greater Owensboro, or Russell Independent across the state near Ashland.

Just because Lexington's school facilities "look nice," "are new," "are modern," and are in (mostly) "good parts of town" don't necessarily mean that they are good schools...I would only recommend the very selective SCAPA program at Dunbar High or Model Lab High School in Richmond if you're to send your child through public secondary ed. in Greater Lexington.

Don't even get me started on Lexington's suburban and exurban districts--Jessamine, Anderson, Woodford, Scott, Clark Counties, etc. If I move back to Central Kentucky (which probably won't happen) I'll be extremely selective in where I enroll my kids (if ever I have any.)

Unread 06-15-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
[
Quote:
quote=EclecticEars;9308932]Lexington public high schools SUCK for the most part! ...NEXT!!!

Consider Beechwood Independent, Boone County or Fort Thomas Independent in Northern KY; Eastern HS, Male HS, Dupont Manual HS or any of the Oldham County high schools in Greater Louisville; or even Daviess, McLean or Hancock Counties in Greater Owensboro, or Russell Independent across the state near Ashland.

Just because Lexington's school facilities "look nice," "are new," "are modern," and are in (mostly) "good parts of town" don't necessarily mean that they are good schools...I would only recommend the very selective SCAPA program at Dunbar High or Model Lab High School in Richmond if you're to send your child through public secondary ed. in Greater Lexingt
Don't even get me started on Lexington's suburban and exurban districts--Jessamine, Anderson, Woodford, Scott, Clark Counties, etc. If I move back to Central Kentucky (which probably won't happen) I'll be extremely selective in where I enroll my kids (if ever I have any.)
We would have to live close to the U of K Med Ctr. Unfortunately, Dupont Manual HS is tooooo far. I have not map-quested the other schools you mentioned but perhaps you can tell me which ones are a 20 - 30 min drive to the Med Ctr? Thank you very much.

Unread 06-15-2009, 08:43 PM

483 posts, read 696,757 times
I don't know what his problem with Lexington Public Schools is, but there are some very good public high schools in Lexington. Compared to most similarly sized cities there aren't really any "bad" schools. That being said, I don't think there are any that quite equal Manual in Louisville either in terms of expectations and breadth of offerings. Dunbar is supposed to be a very good school. You can live anywhere in Lexington and be within 20-30 minutes of UK Med Center.

I've said it before on here and I'll say it again. Lexington ranks in the top 10 cities in the country in the percentage of people with a collgee degree. Clearly education is a priority here, and private schools aren't all that prominent here (as a percent of total students) compared to similarly sized cities in this part of the country. That means most of these kids with college educated parents are going to public schools which also means that these schools are going to generally be very good.

Unread 06-15-2009, 08:52 PM

483 posts, read 696,757 times
I'm not all that impressed with test numbers, but if you are then you'll find that Lexington public has 4 of the top 20 schools for average ACT score. Dunbar ranks 5th in the state along with Louisville Male, Henry Clay ranks 8th in the state, Lafayette ranks 14th in the state, and Tates Creek ranks 16th in the state.

Highest ACT scores among KY PUBLIC high schools only

Unread 06-16-2009, 05:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,656,934 times
One correction: the very selective SCAPA program is at Lafayette High School.

to the OP: I'm sure you have checked GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community.

Unread 06-16-2009, 06:18 AM

2,850 posts, read 4,681,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Lexington public high schools SUCK for the most part! ...NEXT!!!

Just because Lexington's school facilities "look nice," "are new," "are modern," and are in (mostly) "good parts of town" don't necessarily mean that they are good schools...I would only recommend the very selective SCAPA program at Dunbar High or Model Lab High School in Richmond if you're to send your child through public secondary ed. in Greater Lexington.

Why oh why? Lexington has perfectly good schools, this is so ridiculous and over the top.

Unread 06-16-2009, 07:01 AM

Thank you everyone! I love diversity of thought.
Will check it out when we visit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area