U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 08:59 PM

50 posts, read 87,107 times

Advertisements

We'd like suggestions for festivals that are fun for the whole family, within an hour and a half of Lexington.

Where I grew up, there was a zucchini festival, a tomato festival, pumpkin festival, etc--basically, a place to hear some music and shop for crafty stuff while eating fried dough. If you have a favorite, do tell!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM

889 posts, read 1,964,010 times
Our favorite is right here in Lexington. Christ the King's October Fest! It is a blast. We are not Catholic but go every year both nights. It is such good wholesome fun. I haven't looked up the dates for this year yet but it is generally the last or next to last weekend in Sept.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:12 AM

127 posts, read 196,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexingtongal View Post
Our favorite is right here in Lexington. Christ the King's October Fest! It is a blast. We are not Catholic but go every year both nights. It is such good wholesome fun. I haven't looked up the dates for this year yet but it is generally the last or next to last weekend in Sept.
I'm going to go ahead and say that is probably the worst IMO. Its WAY to packed with a bunch of screaming kids, and the lines are really long. I prefer any of the festivals out on the farms, Double Stink hog farm, Evans orchard etc.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM

50 posts, read 87,107 times
Any other recommendations?

Old 08-07-2009, 09:50 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,971,978 times
I was going to recommend Double Stink Hog Farm, but went to the website and saw that the two brothers are selling the farm? Anybody know about this?

Anyway, it's the one great festival that I could recommend - elephant rides and everything.

Old 08-07-2009, 11:46 AM

889 posts, read 1,964,010 times
Boyd Orchards has several events
Fall Festivals (http://www.boydorchards.com/fall-festivals - broken link)
The Harvest Festival is fun. You take a short hay ride to a field for a bonfire and cookout. There is a multi acre corn maze and the kids love going through the maze with flashlights. Be sure to pick up cider donuts on the way out!
And I've never heard anyone else say they didn't like Octoberfest. To each their own.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,971,978 times
Boyd Orchards is good - I'd forgotten that one - and I agree that both Christ the King and Mary Queen have good fall festivals.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM

820 posts, read 1,888,443 times
I'll recommend Midway's Fall festival. Not a huge festival, but large variety of booths, eating options, yard sales, and a great small town atmosphere. It's in late September.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:22 AM

13 posts, read 17,279 times
Shaker Town has a nice fall festival. It's a short drive outside of Lexington. While you are at the festival, you are also free to explore Shaker Town!

Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,413 times
You can always go to the Casey County Apple Festival in Liberty, Kentucky. It is the home of the world's largest apple pie. It is located in downtown Liberty. The date that they are going to have it is September 19-26. They have all kinds of things going on like arts, crafts, food, flea market and music. We try and go every year there. It is fun and you can bring the whole family!! Also the Anderson County Burgoo festival will be going on in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. The dates for that is September 25-27. A fun time there for the family also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area