U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Harrodsburg, KY
23 posts, read 91,366 times
Reputation: 14

Advertisements

I just took a new job in Harrodsburg, and my wife is trying to find a job in the Lexington area too. Currently, she is in Molecular Biology research and wants to continue in clinical or academia research. Does anyone have any connections in this area at UK or possibly industry that she should check into? Thanks!

Last edited by MattN03; 05-17-2007 at 09:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2007, 06:29 AM
 
282 posts, read 934,750 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
I just took a new job in Harrodsburg, and my wife is trying to find a job in the Lexington area too. Currently, she is in Molecular Biology research and wants to continue in clinical or academia research. Does anyone have any connections in this area at UK or possibly industry that she should check into? Thanks!
I don't have any specific advice; just that I'm in the same boat as your wife (looking for a research position at the UK). You said clinical research so I assume she isn't a bench scientist?

I'm looking within the UK College of Public Health for a research position (MD/clinical doctorate in medicine/pharmacy, plus MS in epidemiology/public health) but I have a few connections from the academic position I presently hold here. Does she have any connections that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Harrodsburg, KY
23 posts, read 91,366 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
I don't have any specific advice; just that I'm in the same boat as your wife (looking for a research position at the UK). You said clinical research so I assume she isn't a bench scientist?

I'm looking within the UK College of Public Health for a research position (MD/clinical doctorate in medicine/pharmacy, plus MS in epidemiology/public health) but I have a few connections from the academic position I presently hold here. Does she have any connections that way?
My wife is actually a bench scientist and works in academia, but is open to clinical also if someone is willing to train. She has a BS in Biology with an emphasis in Molecular Biology with Chemistry minor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 08:30 AM
 
282 posts, read 934,750 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
My wife is actually a bench scientist and works in academia, but is open to clinical also if someone is willing to train. She has a BS in Biology with an emphasis in Molecular Biology with Chemistry minor.
At least here (Iowa), you have to have a clinical background (meaning, didactic training as a clinician) in order to do clinical research. But it could be different in academia in KY.

I think once she gets her foot in the door somewhere she will have lots of open doors. Hardest part is wedging that foot in

I know how hard it is to move to a new place in the midst of a research career, and basically have to start from scratch, so I feel for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 08:40 AM
 
Location: New York City
2,814 posts, read 6,017,891 times
Reputation: 3164
Default Ic-epi

When I read your post, the first thing I thought was, "She's got great credentials AND she still gets a kick out of Chuck E Cheese. How cool is that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
 
282 posts, read 934,750 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
When I read your post, the first thing I thought was, "She's got great credentials AND she still gets a kick out of Chuck E Cheese. How cool is that?"
I'm a sucker for skeet ball, LOL!

Plus the Chuck E Cheese here has Pac Man, Tron, and (my personal favorite) Centipede! It's the only place I can still find these relics. I'm really showing my age with this post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2007, 10:04 AM
 
Location: Harrodsburg, KY
23 posts, read 91,366 times
Reputation: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ic-epi View Post
At least here (Iowa), you have to have a clinical background (meaning, didactic training as a clinician) in order to do clinical research. But it could be different in academia in KY.

I think once she gets her foot in the door somewhere she will have lots of open doors. Hardest part is wedging that foot in

I know how hard it is to move to a new place in the midst of a research career, and basically have to start from scratch, so I feel for you.
Any suggestions or contacts on how to get her foot in the door? Is there opportunities in industry near Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2007, 09:14 PM
 
282 posts, read 934,750 times
Reputation: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattN03 View Post
Any suggestions or contacts on how to get her foot in the door? Is there opportunities in industry near Lexington?
I don't have any specific suggestions. I think she needs to have/develop connections within her area of expertise. I don't know the area at UK well enough to offer any advice, and I don't know her research area at all. And I'm guessing that no one else on this forum has that level of expertise either.

I don't know what you mean about 'industry', because I am not a biologist (so my view of 'industry' is pharmaceutical industry, and the closest of that would be Indianapolis). Don't ask me how much I wish that Lilly was in KY instead of Indiana. I'm a doctor with a master's degree in public health, and I've turned down a couple of incredible job opportunities with Lilly in the past five years. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top