U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

2,917 posts, read 5,271,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post
Thanks again for the laugh of the day!
In a few years you'll be laughing at your ridiculous posts that you've made here. If you ever become mature that is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 05:50 AM

9 posts, read 26,089 times
Well I live near Gaylord, MI and on average we get 150+ inches of snow each year. This year was a mild winter but we still got 80 inches of snow. We frequently get lows in the single digits and below zero and highs only in the teens and twenties. We usually get snow in October or November and it doesn't melt until the end of May, sometimes beginning of June.

From what I looked at in KY it looked much milder. How much snow do you guys get on average? Your cold months don't last as long as ours, do they?

Old 04-11-2010, 10:59 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,880,682 times
2-3 inches per month can be expected.

Our cold months end at about the same time yours does, and our temperatures are, on average, still below freezing.

AKA It's cold, but instead of beautiful snow cover you end up with rain in the mid-30s that then freezes. Nasty ice storms too.

All I'm saying is, if you've got your little slice of heaven up there, don't throw it all away for a horribly planned town with some of the most dreary, bland winters you could ever imagine.

At least up there you can take the sled (snowmachine) out for a good time.

My girl's family has a cabin up in Gaylord, it's beautiful up there, the weather is great, about as warm during the warm months (which are close to the same, maybe a week or two longer up there), but actually has recreation during the winter as well.

I know your situation exactly. Yeah, cold winters suck, but the snow gives for some fun that Lexington can't offer.

The only recreation in Lex during the winter is UK basketball and sledding for the kids for the few days there is snow on the ground before it turns into a muddy mess.

Old 04-18-2010, 10:47 AM

871 posts, read 1,332,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellie816 View Post
Well I live near Gaylord, MI and on average we get 150+ inches of snow each year. This year was a mild winter but we still got 80 inches of snow. We frequently get lows in the single digits and below zero and highs only in the teens and twenties. We usually get snow in October or November and it doesn't melt until the end of May, sometimes beginning of June.

From what I looked at in KY it looked much milder. How much snow do you guys get on average? Your cold months don't last as long as ours, do they?
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

as far as snow, you can expect about 16 inches per year

and the rest of the state is warmer, with less snow. in western KY youll get more like 8 to 10 inches. and temeperature 5 or so degrees warmer

Last edited by Yac; 01-24-2012 at 07:40 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 10:57 AM

276 posts, read 301,117 times
Winters seem longer each year here.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedjanuary is the only month with an average temperature right at 32, all the rest are above.

and the rest of the state is warmer, with less snow. in western KY youll get more like 8 to 10 inches. and temeperature 5 or so degrees warmer
But being above freezing, 35 degrees or so (keep in mind those are the highs) is still enough to allow precip to fall, then freeze. Not only that, but it just sucks when it's pouring the rain and 33 degrees. Then you're cold, soaked, and praying you were back in the beautiful town of Gaylord.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 AM

54 posts, read 92,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyJohnWilson View Post
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedjanuary is the only month with an average temperature right at 32, all the rest are above.

This.

Also, here in Kentucky we have those 1-2 week stretches of 60 degree weather in January and December (although not really this past winter) that you just don't get up North.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 AM

I know for a fact there were many times this winter when it was warmer in Detroit.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:11 AM

54 posts, read 92,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
I know for a fact there were many times this winter when it was warmer in Detroit.
I believe you. But I think we can all agree that this winter here in Kentucky was one of the worst in recent history. It was the first winter I can recall where it was consistently miserable for weeks on end. Usually that gets broken up by a nice week of 50-60 degree weather and that simply was not the case this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm fairly certain that is just not common in Michigan. It is common here. There were several days where it was warmer here than Atlanta as well, but I don't think anyone would argue that ATL has milder winters overall than anywhere in Kentucky. And for the record, I'll take rain over snow any day, no matter the temperature.

Old 04-22-2010, 03:50 PM

871 posts, read 1,332,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
But being above freezing, 35 degrees or so (keep in mind those are the highs) is still enough to allow precip to fall, then freeze. Not only that, but it just sucks when it's pouring the rain and 33 degrees. Then you're cold, soaked, and praying you were back in the beautiful town of Gaylord.
no, the average high for lexington in january is 40, and its 45 in december and february.

i cant imagine how winter could possibly be better in gaylord, but i also hate snow. plus, well also get stretches of 50 (and even up to 60) degree weather in february from time to time.and in gaylord theyll still get that 33 degree rain, itll just happen a month after we get it, and what we would classify as winter weather last much longer there. but i suppose its all preference. if you like snow, michigans got it, so "better" depends on what you like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area