U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area
 [Register]
Lexington area Fayette County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2010, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 6,260 times
Default Moving to Kentucky. Looking for a job in Lexington.

Hi. My family and I are moving to Kentucky. We're looking in the Lexington/Richmond area. My job background is warehousing. I've worked at Target and Family Dollar Distribution centers. I'm wondering if Lexington and Richmond have a lot of distribution or warehousing jobs? Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM

919 posts, read 1,490,148 times
Amazon and all the big shippers are here. UPS usually pulls people out of union positions for management jobs, so that might be out.

Best of Luck!!

Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEXpert View Post
Amazon and all the big shippers are here. UPS usually pulls people out of union positions for management jobs, so that might be out.

Best of Luck!!

Thank you, LEXpert!

Old 05-06-2010, 07:46 PM

3,214 posts, read 5,085,700 times
Not much in the way of distribution jobs in Central KY.

Walmart has a large distribution center in London, KY, about 1 hr. 10 min. S. of Lexington, though. You could live in Richmond or Berea and be in close proximity to Lexington and yet driving distance from work.

Old 05-07-2010, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Walmart has a large distribution center in London, KY, about 1 hr. 10 min. S. of Lexington, though. You could live in Richmond or Berea and be in close proximity to Lexington and yet driving distance from work.

Thank you, EclecticEars. I've thought about doing that. I've also thought about applying at the Family Dollar Distribution center. I used to work for them and left on good terms.

Old 05-07-2010, 08:07 AM

2,375 posts, read 2,643,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EclecticEars View Post

Richmond to London as a commute?! :S

Ouch!

Also, there are loads in CKY. Many of the factories in Nicholasville as well as in Georgetown etc. need warehousing staff. Amazon, UPS, among others are headquartered there. Aside from warehousing you could likely get a good job for one of the manufacturing areas. JIF, Toyota (as much as I hate their cars :P) etc etc pay pretty well!

Old 05-07-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Richmond to London as a commute?! :S

Ouch!

Also, there are loads in CKY. Many of the factories in Nicholasville as well as in Georgetown etc. need warehousing staff. Amazon, UPS, among others are headquartered there. Aside from warehousing you could likely get a good job for one of the manufacturing areas. JIF, Toyota (as much as I hate their cars :P) etc etc pay pretty well!
Thank you, UKUKUK.

I've started applying at a few places. We're looking to move to Kentucky around the 20th. My wife has family members in Pikeville but I'd rather live closer to Lexington. Amazon sounds like a perfect place for me. Does anybody know if they're hiring?

Thank you!

Old 05-07-2010, 04:39 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,643,975 times
Amazon is always hiring and I have several friends that work there. They LOVE the job. They make great money and get good benefits.

A REALLY huge warehouse around Nicholasville on the Fayette line is McLain (Sp?). They do a lot of food service and the likes, the lifts aren't too hefty especially as he was in snack foods. I'm sure you can imagine how heavy a box full of Lays is!

Check them out, my brother worked for them for a while and they paid pretty well.

Old 05-07-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Amazon is always hiring and I have several friends that work there. They LOVE the job. They make great money and get good benefits.

A REALLY huge warehouse around Nicholasville on the Fayette line is McLain (Sp?). They do a lot of food service and the likes, the lifts aren't too hefty especially as he was in snack foods. I'm sure you can imagine how heavy a box full of Lays is!

Check them out, my brother worked for them for a while and they paid pretty well.
Wow! Thank you for the input, UKUKUK. That makes me feel a lot better knowing that jobs are available. Thank you, again.

Old 05-08-2010, 10:51 AM

660 posts, read 832,640 times
Victor, I should WARN you about working at Amazon. I worked there the Christmas of 2008, as an "order picker". If you have a choice, _DO NOT_ pick the position of Order Picker. You WILL be hurting, badly, if you do. I'm a very fast walker and "in shape", and had decent jogging shoes for the job, and had blisters all over my feet. It was 10 hours of fast-paced walking (think the fastest shopper you've ever seen in Wal-Mart, that's how fast you need to move as an Order Picker for Amazon). Many, many people come and go at Amazon for this reason. One of the things I remember they did was trying to motivate Order Pickers to 'move' by having these large flat-panel screens in the areas where team leaders gather all the workers around for meetings. These screens showed just how much walking Order Pickers do in a day (about 10-15 miles a day). Here are some links, don't say I didn't warn you.

Inside The Lives Of Amazon.com Warehouse Employees: Long Hours, Long Walks, And Heavy Lifting (PHOTOS)

(center in Kansas, but after reading the article it's no different than the one in Lexington, Kentucky)

Hot Seat of The Week: Behind The Scenes Of Online Shopping- “Workers walk 10 Miles/Day” Life Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Lexington area