Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM

837 posts, read 2,239,877 times

Advertisements

There are one or two people like that around this forum, but to tell the truth I don't think they're in Little Rock. And I haven't seen any of that in this thread.

I don't mind criticisms; there are many things I could and do criticize about this town. But by the same token, people shouldn't personalize their dislike of Little Rock to the point of spreading falsehoods as if they were truths, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 12:01 PM

7 posts, read 21,341 times
Default Little Rock from a (nearby) outsider

Here's a different perspective: I live in Memphis, but I've spent a lot of time in LR on business for at least 25 yrs. My business is that I'm a professional musician, and several of the people I play with regularly are from Little Rock. We are part of a racially-mixed 10-piece soul group. Back in the '80's, I was in LR a couple of weeks at a time for 2 years, in an apt. near the Riverfront/Rebsamen Park area. Due to my work, I've worked in basically every town within 250 miles of Memphis - Little Rock, Nashville, Birmingham, Jackson MS.

I'll admit that the first time I was booked in Little Rock - 1985 - I wondered if I needed to pick up a straw hat before going. I was very pleasantly surprised. Our group has never experienced any racial animosity anywhere in Little Rock; nor did a similar band I was in 25 yrs, ago that played there; I would describe its residents as "typically Southern but fairly urban" in their tastes in dress, music, and food, and for its current size, Little Rock probably has more comparatively to do nightlife wise head-for-head than Memphis, its larger neighbor where I live.

Every city of any size- even places like Tupelo MS just to pick a town - has both its "liberal arts" community, usually centered in the older more historic parts of town, its "not so great" parts of town, and some cookie-cutter suburbs never far from a Wal-Mart and the chain restaurants. Every town also has its nay-sayers on every forum who tell you the town's gone to h**l in a handbasket for all the usual reasons.

Little Rock isn't New York; nor is Memphis. If the only thing that makes you happy is the bustle of NYC, then most of the South, even Atlanta, really isn't for you. Yes, the states down this way are "red" on the map, but don't paint that brush stroke on everybody who lives there. Little Rock, Memphis, and the South in general are way more diversified nowadays than some people want to credit us for.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:12 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,889,502 times
Wow, geno, that's a well-reasoned and lucid response. Rare on the internet.
I've no stake in Little Rock, but you make it sound all right.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:47 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,483,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Sometimes people's attitudes do play a factor, and perhaps some of us complain too much, but folks in Little Rock and Arkansas in general shouldn't take it so personally when any type of criticism comes along.
No one lives in Utopia, including you in Arkansas.
Little Rock could be such a nice town if it took criticism more constructively instead of saying the stereotypically-redneck "don't let the door hitcha".
See my previous post (#17)....

Old 11-21-2010, 03:01 AM

25 posts, read 68,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj.c View Post
The biggest problem in LR (and AR in general) is that racism still rules society... I could only handle it in LR for 2 yrs. Thank god I'm gone.

Quite possibly one of the most untrue and in fact stupid things I've read here.

I've just spent the past eight weeks working in Little Rock, I'm from Fort Lauderdale, and I couldn't believe how everyone seems to get along so well.

Blacks and whites generally hate each other in south Florida and that has always disgusted me.....the tension and general dislike amongst the two.

Since I've been here by myself, when I go out to eat I eat at the bar. I've yet to have someone strike up a conversation with me while sitting there, regardless of whether black or white. Easy going friendly conversation and overall politeness. There is less racism here than anywhere I've ever visited in the states and I've been all over.

As a white man there are many places in big cities, Miami, Los Angeles, Chicago......that I wouldn't dare go because my simply being white in those areas would get me in trouble. There's not a single place in Little Rock like that and trust me, I went into some bad areas. Not saying I felt comfortable there, but I don't think anyone does.....it wasn't because I was white.

Congrats Little Rockers......your city completely destroyed my preconceived negative notions of the place.

Oh, anyone who says there's no good food here hasn't gone looking. There are some great privately owned establishments.....you just have to go digging.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:33 AM

697 posts, read 1,767,029 times
Thanks choppy! It's very interesting the different vibes you can get from different cities. Although I completely agree there are places in Little Rock that are less than desirable, I haven't noticed any tension here like I've seen in some other cities. Although the cities are very different, Lexington, Kentucky and Little Rock, AR are two of the most friendly feeling cities I've ever spent much time in.

And yes, there are some great local restaurants around here.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 2,922 times
so where would one recommend living in Little Rock? I've been offered a job there, having driven thru and played a few shows there over the years, i never had much time to really soak up any culture or sense of social identity. so any recommendations as to areas of interest, good living, cultural happenings, art galleries and such, would be most appreciated.

Thanks!!

Old 06-16-2011, 12:22 PM

if you're interested in the artsier parts of town I would definitely recommend Hillcrest or Capitol View/Stifft Station, downtown, or Argenta. what is your price range? house or apartment?

(like your username, btw...I'm assuming it's a Black Sabbath reference?)

Old 01-03-2012, 08:20 PM

some wonderful images of Little Rock to enjoy in the Little Rock Picture Book. (and plenty outside of the city as well!)

(available from the Arkansas Business Publishing Group.)

Old 01-04-2012, 02:48 AM

697 posts, read 1,767,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
some wonderful images of Little Rock to enjoy in the Little Rock Picture Book. (and plenty outside of the city as well!)

(available from the Arkansas Business Publishing Group.)
I think I'm going to pick one of these up to have around the house. Thanks for the link!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area