U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM

626 posts, read 805,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Beware of the nice apartments in West Little Rock. Apparently, they think people just have tons of money to throw away. They charge $60 application fee plus a $250 dollar processing fee! Over three bucks just to apply. And deposits can be $600 bucks if you have a pet. That is robbery, IMO.
This is good advice- there are some excessively high application costs out there. I didn't look as much in WLR due to distance, but that was the case at some places in Hillcrest and Riverdale too. Now, any apartment that runs background and credit checks (most nice places will) are likely to have a $30-$60 application fee to cover those costs (background checks cost a bit), but the processing fee is pure BS. I negotiated with managers at all the places I looked at to get the application fee waived or a month free or some other benefit on their part, because as dave said, there's no sense in spending over $300 just to apply to live somewhere. They're normally not going to waive that out of the kindness of their heart though, you'll have to ask and be firm about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 10:51 AM

12 posts, read 19,520 times
Good luck with your upcoming move. If you have not decided on a house you might consider west Little Rock area. The commute to St. Vincent is 10-15 min max. Some great neighborhoods out west include Villages of Wellington, Ranch, Woodlands Edge & Chenal. My family lives in Woodlands Edge and the commute to midtown is very fast. Woodlands Edge also have a very active community with many neighborhood events. The trail system is great in the neighborhood too. Hope you enjoy Little Rock!

Old 01-15-2011, 11:57 AM

7,950 posts, read 8,682,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
This is good advice- there are some excessively high application costs out there. I didn't look as much in WLR due to distance, but that was the case at some places in Hillcrest and Riverdale too. Now, any apartment that runs background and credit checks (most nice places will) are likely to have a $30-$60 application fee to cover those costs (background checks cost a bit), but the processing fee is pure BS. I negotiated with managers at all the places I looked at to get the application fee waived or a month free or some other benefit on their part, because as dave said, there's no sense in spending over $300 just to apply to live somewhere. They're normally not going to waive that out of the kindness of their heart though, you'll have to ask and be firm about it.
If one is used to a larger city, they will find the commute from West Little Rock to midtown or even downtown to be nothing. Little Rock proper has a very small footprint and traffic isn't that bad unless there is an accident or construction, so you can get anywhere in the city in a short amount of time. That said, people who live in Conway, Benton, Sheridan, Lonoke, etc usually work in Little Rock and have very long commutes.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
If one is used to a larger city, they will find the commute from West Little Rock to midtown or even downtown to be nothing. Little Rock proper has a very small footprint and traffic isn't that bad unless there is an accident or construction, so you can get anywhere in the city in a short amount of time. That said, people who live in Conway, Benton, Sheridan, Lonoke, etc usually work in Little Rock and have very long commutes.
Oh I totally agree, I just didn't see the point of living that far from where I needed to be on a daily basis when I could find places in Midtown/Hillcrest/The Heights that fit my needs. I'm sure that will vary from person to person though, a lot of people really like living in that part of town. Most of West LR isn't too far from things, but part of the Chenal area is pretty far out there- I think it takes me 15 minutes or so to get to that new Kroger or the IMAX out there. That's not bad at all if you're used to a Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/etc. style commute from the suburbs, but just seems a bit far to me in an area no larger than Little Rock. Pretty much all the interstates get a bit congested at going to/getting off work times that can add a good chunk of time to your commute, but nothing like spending 3-4 hours a day in traffic like you might elsewhere.

Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Oh I totally agree, I just didn't see the point of living that far from where I needed to be on a daily basis when I could find places in Midtown/Hillcrest/The Heights that fit my needs. I'm sure that will vary from person to person though, a lot of people really like living in that part of town. Most of West LR isn't too far from things, but part of the Chenal area is pretty far out there- I think it takes me 15 minutes or so to get to that new Kroger or the IMAX out there. That's not bad at all if you're used to a Dallas/Houston/Atlanta/etc. style commute from the suburbs, but just seems a bit far to me in an area no larger than Little Rock. Pretty much all the interstates get a bit congested at going to/getting off work times that can add a good chunk of time to your commute, but nothing like spending 3-4 hours a day in traffic like you might elsewhere.
I agree, which is why when I lived in Little Rock I couldn't understand why so many people chose to live 1+ hours away (Sheridan, Malvern, Conway), when undeveloped land can be found within 15-20 minutes of downtown and its still cheap to live in or close to town, unlike larger cities where many times people are priced out of the city and have to live in the burbs. To have that kind of commute by choice in my opinion defeats one of the main benefits of living in a small city like Little Rock.

Old 01-21-2011, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,334 times
Hi Everyone!!

I'm relative new to this forum, but I've been reading your posts for sometime now and I find it very helpful! Therefore, I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm moving to Little Rock in March and I'm flying in about 2 weeks to hunt for an apartment to rent. I'm focusing on the WLR side since my commute to work would be minimal. Do you guys know a Real State Company or someone trustworthy that you can refer me to? Are the rentals in Little Rock like some areas here in Florida where you have to call in advance, make an appt, etc?

Old 01-26-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miami1282 View Post
Hi Everyone!!

I'm relative new to this forum, but I've been reading your posts for sometime now and I find it very helpful! Therefore, I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm moving to Little Rock in March and I'm flying in about 2 weeks to hunt for an apartment to rent. I'm focusing on the WLR side since my commute to work would be minimal. Do you guys know a Real State Company or someone trustworthy that you can refer me to? Are the rentals in Little Rock like some areas here in Florida where you have to call in advance, make an appt, etc?
Not sure about real estate but rentals are pretty much walk-in.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Not sure about real estate but rentals are pretty much walk-in.
This has been my experience too. Unless you're looking at really small places (that don't have a staffed office) or rental houses, I doubt you'd need to make any sort of appointment during regular hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area