Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 11:27 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times

Advertisements

North Pulaski Player: I believe you mean Lexington, Ky, rather than Louisville. Lexington and Fayette County merged their governments several decades ago - local government now goes by the rather unwieldy name of Lexington Fayette Urban County government, or LFUCG, which is NOT an acronym. It seems to work pretty well here most of the time, and many duplicate services were merged and/or eliminated. The areas of the county closest to the city line benefitted the most, with streetlights and sidewalks being added to many older suburbs which were unaccountably still legally part of Fayette County rather than the City of Lexington. Prior to merger, the city-county line ran randomly through many suburbs, with one house being in the city while the house next door would be county. The school districts were similarly skewed - I attended city schools less than a block away, while children living two houses away were bussed two miles across town to county schools. Actually, the schools merged a number of years before the city and county merged, come to think of it.

Zoning continues to define the line between city and rural areas here, a huge consideration with the unique and beautiful Inner Bluegrass surrounding Lexington being at risk for development otherwise. Although too much of the Bluegrass continues to fall prey to development for my taste...

With the Arkansas River providing a clear boundary between Little Rock and North Little Rock, this sort of situation isn't likely to be found, but merger, while initially disruptive and costly, would soon provide clear benefits to the citizens, though the politicians might not be so happy.

Nashville and Davidson County (TN) merged their governments long ago, and were studied before Lexington-Fayette County made the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2011, 07:57 PM

369 posts, read 1,301,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
North Pulaski Player: I believe you mean Lexington, Ky, rather than Louisville. Lexington and Fayette County merged their governments several decades ago - local government now goes by the rather unwieldy name of Lexington Fayette Urban County government, or LFUCG, which is NOT an acronym. It seems to work pretty well here most of the time, and many duplicate services were merged and/or eliminated. The areas of the county closest to the city line benefitted the most, with streetlights and sidewalks being added to many older suburbs which were unaccountably still legally part of Fayette County rather than the City of Lexington. Prior to merger, the city-county line ran randomly through many suburbs, with one house being in the city while the house next door would be county. The school districts were similarly skewed - I attended city schools less than a block away, while children living two houses away were bussed two miles across town to county schools. Actually, the schools merged a number of years before the city and county merged, come to think of it.

Zoning continues to define the line between city and rural areas here, a huge consideration with the unique and beautiful Inner Bluegrass surrounding Lexington being at risk for development otherwise. Although too much of the Bluegrass continues to fall prey to development for my taste...

With the Arkansas River providing a clear boundary between Little Rock and North Little Rock, this sort of situation isn't likely to be found, but merger, while initially disruptive and costly, would soon provide clear benefits to the citizens, though the politicians might not be so happy.

Nashville and Davidson County (TN) merged their governments long ago, and were studied before Lexington-Fayette County made the move.
Louisville/Jefferson County Merger - Your Government - LouisvilleKy.gov

Old 03-01-2011, 11:09 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,890,406 times
Thanks for setting me straight. It appears many cities have merged with their surrounding counties in recent years, and most seem to do well.

Old 03-02-2011, 08:37 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
That will teach you to be away from the forums for a few days.
I thought maybe I got caught in a cow methane cloud and missed it.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM

52 posts, read 77,983 times
intresting but im just saying its too confusing i mean i understand it would be better if they merged and NLR would not exesit with out little rock & all but dam im preety sure the city wants to have its own spot litght and not have to live under little rocks

Old 03-08-2011, 04:55 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,159,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bralon01 View Post
intresting but im just saying its too confusing i mean i understand it would be better if they merged and NLR would not exesit with out little rock & all but dam im preety sure the city wants to have its own spot litght and not have to live under little rocks
It appears this issue is only causing you anguish. NLR residents seem to be fine with the status quo.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:15 PM

24 posts, read 56,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
It appears this issue is only causing you anguish. NLR residents seem to be fine with the status quo.
We are fine with it! I don't see any good reason to merge the two.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM

697 posts, read 1,774,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige1979 View Post
We are fine with it! I don't see any good reason to merge the two.
It'd be financially beneficial because it would reduce the size of city government and make the existing synergies between LR and NLR run much smoother. It would allow a more cohesive and comprehensive development plan for the joined riverfront downtown areas, and that would probably benefit NLR a bit more in the short term than LR, since their riverfront is underdeveloped compared to the River Market district.

If the cities ever choose to merge, they'll likely do it for financial reasons, but it's just a lot easier to encourage regional economic development and work on encouraging infill and redevelopment in the downtown areas when you have one government instead of two. The cities could put proposals to incentivize new employers locating in the area and new developments much quicker than they currently do, and there would be less of an issue over who pays for what. I'm not saying I think it's necessary for the cities to merge, but I can see a lot of benefits if they did, and it wouldn't really change much for the citizens of either city.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:13 PM

24 posts, read 56,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
It'd be financially beneficial because it would reduce the size of city government and make the existing synergies between LR and NLR run much smoother. It would allow a more cohesive and comprehensive development plan for the joined riverfront downtown areas, and that would probably benefit NLR a bit more in the short term than LR, since their riverfront is underdeveloped compared to the River Market district.

If the cities ever choose to merge, they'll likely do it for financial reasons, but it's just a lot easier to encourage regional economic development and work on encouraging infill and redevelopment in the downtown areas when you have one government instead of two. The cities could put proposals to incentivize new employers locating in the area and new developments much quicker than they currently do, and there would be less of an issue over who pays for what. I'm not saying I think it's necessary for the cities to merge, but I can see a lot of benefits if they did, and it wouldn't really change much for the citizens of either city.
As I said, no reason to merge the two.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Don't worry; a city-county consolidation will occur in the next 10 years. LR, NLR, Jacksonville, Sherwood, Maumelle, Wrightsville, Cammack Village, and the rest of Pulaski County will soon be a single municipality (i.e. Louisville, KY).
Want to bet dinner on that?

I don't see any compelling reasons for the smaller cities of Pulaski County to merge with Little Rock. Yes, there would certainly be financial benefit from joint purchasing agreements and elimination of duplicate positions. However, despite the fact that advocates of consolidation say it produces a "smaller" and more streamlined government... it would actually increase the size of government (relative to what you are used to) and make it more complex to navigate.

Bigger is not always better. For instance, the LR Police Department has a lot more resources that the Cammack Village Police Department. In Cammack, they know who lives in what house. They know who belongs where. They will come make sure your doors are locked and windows secured while you are off on vacation. Would a Pulaski-Metro Consolidated Government offer the same personalized service? Comparing Little Rock & Cammack Village is an extreme example, but similar arguments could be made for each of the small towns in Pulaski County and unique services that they provide.

Additionally, you have to take into consider the history of some of these towns. Maumelle may be the best example of this. The only reason Maumelle exists as an incorporated city is because North Little Rock was going to annex it in the mid 1980s. It's true that the vast majority of Maumelle residents weren't around back then, but I would think the city's history would make them highly unlikely to join a consolidated government anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area