Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I lived in Little Rock for 15 years, now I live in Searcy.
Little Rock is just too damned dangerous, full of crime.
I much prefer it here. It's that simple

I'm sure it's dangerous if you go around trying to pick fights with people or waving a gun. But seriously "just too damned dangerous"?? I"m wondering what has happened in the past 11 months since I was last there that would qualify it for that description. True there are some shady parts, but there are shady parts of Searcy. I'm sure there are never any hunting accidents/wife beatings/kid beatings going on there. LR is not a dangerous place, though there are some parts that I do avoid, but the majority of it is just as friendly as those small, white flight towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 06:14 PM

564 posts, read 2,334,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cspradley View Post
I'm sure it's dangerous if you go around trying to pick fights with people or waving a gun. But seriously "just too damned dangerous"?? I"m wondering what has happened in the past 11 months since I was last there that would qualify it for that description. True there are some shady parts, but there are shady parts of Searcy. I'm sure there are never any hunting accidents/wife beatings/kid beatings going on there. LR is not a dangerous place, though there are some parts that I do avoid, but the majority of it is just as friendly as those small, white flight towns.
Just keep it to yourself and stay in Little Rock. If we don't like Little Rock and think it's dangerous, we have every right. Moderator cut: insulting
For the record, I see a murder every day in Little Rock on the news. But I'm sure we're just blowing that out of proportion.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 11-20-2007 at 04:12 AM..

Old 11-19-2007, 06:36 PM

308 posts, read 1,613,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by undertheironsea View Post
Just keep it to yourself and stay in Little Rock. If we don't like Little Rock and think it's dangerous, we have every right. But you making a thread and responding to every negative opinion of the city is just silly. Find a better use of your time.

For the record, I see a murder every day in Little Rock on the news. But I'm sure we're just blowing that out of proportion.
For the record, I'm fairly certain "we" ARE blowing that out of proportion, since LR does not have 365.5 murders in a year. Hell, I think we had just reached 50-something for the current year not too long ago.

I will agree that there may be a murder reported in the news on a daily basis, but they're not all in LR.

Old 11-19-2007, 06:41 PM

Quote:

LR's not a dangerous place, yet it somehow managed to rank 13th in the latest "most dangerous city" in the country list AND Chicago, which seems to be notorious for being so horrific, doesn't even get an honorable mention?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:47 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,821,386 times
What a weird thread.
Growing up in rural Arkansas, I never came across anyone who was envious of Little Rock.
People either didn't have an opinion of it, or they didn't like it. The funny thing is, when I was living in Little Rock, that was the exactly the attitude of the people who actually lived there.
Before you Little Rock defenders jump all over me, I know that some folks like the town.
I don't hate it. It is a special place to me for certain reasons. I would never live there again, and there is no reason to ever visit, either. The city itself is rather forgettable.

Crime.

The horse is dead. I shall not beat it.

Wait. I think it moved.

Quote:
LR's not a dangerous place, yet it somehow managed to rank 13th in the latest "most dangerous city" in the country list AND Chicago, which seems to be notorious for being so horrific, doesn't even get an honorable mention?
Little Rock is actually 23rd on that list. It's easily one of the smaller towns on the list. That's always been my beef with LR...way too small to have it's problems. No, it's not Detroit, Compton, or St.Louis, but Little Rock is much worse than a lot of it's peer cities.
People on these threads try to defend Little Rock by saying, "that's just the way it is in most major metro areas"....Well, that's all well and good until you realize LR isn't "major". Don't compare it to cities with 5 million, compare it to other cities of 650,000.

Last edited by northbound74; 11-19-2007 at 11:49 PM..

Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,734,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Don't compare it to cities with 5 million, compare it to other cities of 650,000.
That's not going to make your point very well. Baltimore is smaller than that. So is Compton, Washington DC, Flint MI, Camden NJ, and a LOT of other really nasty cities. LR population is only about 180k. You were doing a lot better when you were comparing it to the Des Moines' of the country. I don't even think the MSA is getting close to 650. If you take the whole MSA as your measuring stick and you get to include all of the murders and things NOT taking place in the rest of Pulaski and Faulkner (I can't remember if Conway is part of the Little Rock MSA for the census or not), then LR's per capita stats would go way down. These statistical reports seem like such great comparators because you get numbers to characterize things but if you aren't told how it's been calculated and you don't have intimate knowledge of each area and what's generating the issues then you can be very easily misled. I believe the data used in this report only includes crime within LR and only uses the LR city population but if you want to know that for sure, you have to buy the report...go figure...

There are just SOOOO many things one can do to massage this type of data. The data can easily be skewed by the reporting standards of each municipality. In fact, cities in Illinois and Minnesota were not include because data was "unavailable", whatever that means. You can easily misrepresent reality in smaller municipalities by not clearly defining the range of standard deviations you are including. Smaller cities are much more likely to have data that outlies 2 or possibly even 3 standard deviations from the long term mean by having a bad year. Heck, it could conceivably happen in some towns this report included because one or two gang bangers move into town and start causing trouble for a few weeks! I'd bet almost anything this report ONLY takes into account last year's crime data and doesn't correct for long term trends.

This isn't a defense of LR or anywhere else. Just my opinion of what can be done with statistical compilation and reporting when the underlying purpose of the reporting is less than altruistic.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 11-20-2007 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Added data

Old 11-20-2007, 09:40 AM

15 posts, read 37,545 times
Smile powers that b e

yuppers you cannot trust the powers that be thats for d sure! not much has changed in this ole country. one has to try and see through all the fog and politics to decide what the heck is going on!

Old 11-20-2007, 10:36 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,428,643 times
I do believe this is the silliest question I've ever seen on this page! Geeeeesh!

Old 11-20-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Little Rock is actually 23rd on that list. It's easily one of the smaller towns on the list. That's always been my beef with LR...way too small to have it's problems. No, it's not Detroit, Compton, or St.Louis, but Little Rock is much worse than a lot of it's peer cities.
People on these threads try to defend Little Rock by saying, "that's just the way it is in most major metro areas"....Well, that's all well and good until you realize LR isn't "major". Don't compare it to cities with 5 million, compare it to other cities of 650,000.
It actually depends upon which list you look at as to whether it's ranked 13th or 23rd.

Either way, I find it semi-amusing when people from other COUNTRIES are terrified to go to LR b/c of those reports. I personally have never had a problem in LR. Er, well, relatively few (and minor at that) issues. We finally moved to Maumelle after several years. Most would say a safe(r) place. Even better since we moved into an area where the majority of the residents are retired. Nice, calm, quiet, peaceful, etc. And, now, we have a hole in our house from a bullet (which is still lodged between the walls). A few inches to the right and it would've gone through our window into a room where our child was playing.

Sh*t happens regardless of your location. Yeah, we should all be mindful of our surroundings, probably would think twice about moving to certain areas, etc., but even those "safe" places can frak you over.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,821,386 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's dangerous if you go around trying to pick fights with people or waving a gun.
I worked with a guy that was mugged and shot at a laundromat. An aquaintance was shot while waiting for the bus. Someone getting shot while waiting for the bus actually happened a few times during the short while I lived there. They weren't picking fights.

Quote:
That's not going to make your point very well. Baltimore is smaller than that. So is Compton, Washington DC, Flint MI, Camden NJ, and a LOT of other really nasty cities. LR population is only about 180k.
I was refering to metropolitan statistical areas (M.S.A.'s). Little Rock's is roughly 650k, and the 5 million was just a generic number I threw out to make a point. Maybe I should have used 2 or 3 million. On per capita crime stats for entire m.s.a.'s, I will admit ignorance.
The thing is, every time a report on the country's most dangerous cities comes out, Little Rock is ALWAYS on some top 25 list, regardless of who's putting out the information, or how it is "massaged".
Little Rock always stands out on those lists because it is much smaller than most of the other cities whether it's in "city proper" terms, or m.s.a.'s.
HBO made a documentary on Little Rock's gang problem, for crying out loud. Maybe it was the shocking crime in a such a small town that caught there eye.

When compared to similar sized m.s.a.'s across the entire country, Little Rock is still one of the worst.
I will have to admit (I can't believe I'm doing this) that Little Rock doesn't look so bad when compared to other southeastern m.s.a.'s it's size. It's still at or near the top of the crime list among even those places, however.

When someone asked "Little Rock vs. Larger Cities", I say go for the larger city, because Little Rock has very similar crime issues and a lot of the other problems that much larger areas have. Might as well go for the better pay check, not have to scrape pennies, and have fun while you're at it. Why mess with a place that's culturally anemic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area