Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 AM

369 posts, read 1,302,444 times

Advertisements

Why is it that people in rural Arkansas towns where the best local job is some factory paying $9.00/hour always the ones putting Little Rock down? Basically as long as you don't hang out in the ghettos(Southwest, Central/Roosevelt Ave, East LR), you will not be more likely to be a victim of violent crime than in your boondock town. When I first moved to the Little Rock area from East Arkansas, people spoke about Little Rock as if it was the wild wild west or something and that you had to duck for bullets everywhere you went. I haven't heard a gunshot the whole time I've lived here, and when you do hear about crime in LR, it involves dope dealers, crackheads, and wanna-be gangsters. Little Rock is just the typical urban sprawl city. And to the people that try to compare Little Rock to Fort Smith just because Fort Smith is the so called "second largest city in the state", Pulaski County is very fragmented, and even though the population of Little Rock proper is only 190,000, Pulaski County is nearly 400,000 and Little Rock is the social hub of all of Central Arkansas, so it is inevitable that everything will come through Little Rock (the good and the bad).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2007, 07:32 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Only reason, I wouldnt want to live in LR is the same reason i dont wanna live in Memphis...I prefer small town life where I can be "out" of town in ten minutes.

Old 08-27-2007, 11:56 AM

134 posts, read 370,626 times
Thumbs up I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
Why is it that people in rural Arkansas towns where the best local job is some factory paying $9.00/hour always the ones putting Little Rock down? Basically as long as you don't hang out in the ghettos(Southwest, Central/Roosevelt Ave, East LR), you will not be more likely to be a victim of violent crime than in your boondock town. When I first moved to the Little Rock area from East Arkansas, people spoke about Little Rock as if it was the wild wild west or something and that you had to duck for bullets everywhere you went. I haven't heard a gunshot the whole time I've lived here, and when you do hear about crime in LR, it involves dope dealers, crackheads, and wanna-be gangsters. Little Rock is just the typical urban sprawl city. And to the people that try to compare Little Rock to Fort Smith just because Fort Smith is the so called "second largest city in the state", Pulaski County is very fragmented, and even though the population of Little Rock proper is only 190,000, Pulaski County is nearly 400,000 and Little Rock is the social hub of all of Central Arkansas, so it is inevitable that everything will come through Little Rock (the good and the bad).
I agree totally with your post. I grew up in the central Arkansas area(Little Rock/N Little Rock) and my experience was fine. And people do that everywhere. I am currently in Shreveport, La and the people here do the same thing! The talk so bad about Shreveport and talk sooooo good about the town adjacent(Bossier City) it's ridiculous! I mean seriously being a military brat, and being married to a guy in the military, I have traveled. I also had the luxury of going to college in the 4 largest city in this country, Houston, TX. And for all the small town people who think that life in these "Small Town they tink are cities(ie Little Rock, Shreveport, Jackson)" is soooooo bad or crime is sooooooo outrageous. Try living in Houston, New York City, Miami, Los Angelos, Hell, Dallas. I have visited all of these locations where their crime is way worse than it is here in small town america, and never felt threatend or unsafe. Truth of the matter is, just mind your business, dont go into drug infested parts of town and you are good. Get over it already....sheesh

Old 08-27-2007, 03:21 PM

155 posts, read 662,448 times
Yes, I am extremely jealous. I wish I could live in a county where they have to lay off deputies because the citizens aren't smart enough to understand why they need to pay for them.

Old 08-27-2007, 03:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
A lot of this has to do with a documentary back in the 90s, although I dont remember the specifics, but I know it portrayed Little Rock as having one of the highest crime rates per capita in the United States. Racism in general throughout the rural south has a lot to do with it as well, being as urban centers in the south have large percentages of african americans.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:42 PM

155 posts, read 662,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
A lot of this has to do with a documentary back in the 90s, although I dont remember the specifics, but I know it portrayed Little Rock as having one of the highest crime rates per capita in the United States. Racism in general throughout the rural south has a lot to do with it as well, being as urban centers in the south have large percentages of african americans.
Little rock does have a very high crime rate.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:35 PM

154 posts, read 679,623 times
We’ll - I can tell you there doesn’t seem to be any envy of Little Rock in Northwest Arkansas.

Many in NWA have no need for Little Rock and several "white collar transplants" I work with have never been to LR and have no desire to visit. These days NWA is the economic and political driver of the state. Not to mention - for quick day / weekend trips it's farther to drive to LR than going to Tulsa or KC or Springfield and these other towns are safer to visit and each really offer a larger variety of attractions.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:13 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Only reason, I wouldnt want to live in LR is the same reason i dont wanna live in Memphis...I prefer small town life where I can be "out" of town in ten minutes.
Me to, I feel the same way

Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 AM

297 posts, read 1,300,287 times
Default Most don't envy...just hate the rush hour traffic!

I live (2) hours south of LR and we love to drive up and go eat, shop, etc. Just wished that LR was closer. LR has great hospitals, medical care, attractive riverfront and has lots going for it as a city. LR is a very attractive city and fun to visit. You just have to be safe everywhere these days and just not in Little Rock. To me, I'd be more horified to live, drive and work in Memphis!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:25 AM

29 posts, read 134,483 times
Default Because

some people like the little towns they grew up in. Oh and because Little Rock is nasty and ugly and smelly and violent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area