U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-21-2012, 04:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,750 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I am also moving to Little Rock, Ark in a few weeks. Any suggestions for a young family of 5? I am looking for areas to live in near Little Rock or in the city that has a good neighborhood and schools. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mover&Shaker of 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
696 posts, read 1,503,240 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover&Shaker of 3 View Post
I am also moving to Little Rock, Ark in a few weeks. Any suggestions for a young family of 5? I am looking for areas to live in near Little Rock or in the city that has a good neighborhood and schools. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Mover&Shaker of 3
Moderator cut: snip

What is your price range? Where will you be working/how far are you willing to commute? What kind of neighborhood do you like (historic, walkable, near anything specific, newer/suburb)? Those will have quite an effect on the neighborhoods/areas I'd recommend.

Last edited by Kimballette; 04-21-2012 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: moved it - thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 03:27 PM
 
2 posts, read 4,586 times
Reputation: 13
I also might be moving to Little Rock in the not so distant future. Young family of 4. Artsy, hip, love local beer, good food, arts, performance, hardcore music, the occasional ballet, etc.
Price range for rent is up to $+/-1,000/mo. Preferably 3 bedrooms. Parks, shoppes and culture within easy spitting distance would be great.
Cheers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
696 posts, read 1,503,240 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahrussell View Post
I also might be moving to Little Rock in the not so distant future. Young family of 4. Artsy, hip, love local beer, good food, arts, performance, hardcore music, the occasional ballet, etc.
Price range for rent is up to $+/-1,000/mo. Preferably 3 bedrooms. Parks, shoppes and culture within easy spitting distance would be great.
Cheers.
Your self description sounds like you'll want to be in or near the Hillcrest area. Price may or may not be an issue depending on the part of Hillcrest you'd be in. Some will also recommend the Quapaw Quarter or Argenta in North Little Rock, both of which are also good options and potentially more affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2012, 11:03 PM
 
Location: Sherwood, Arkansas
364 posts, read 1,123,667 times
Reputation: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard16 View Post
Your self description sounds like you'll want to be in or near the Hillcrest area. Price may or may not be an issue depending on the part of Hillcrest you'd be in. Some will also recommend the Quapaw Quarter or Argenta in North Little Rock, both of which are also good options and potentially more affordable.
I concur; the Hillcrest area sounds like a good fit. WLR, Maumelle, Bryant/Benton, etc. are more for us boring suburbanites...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
696 posts, read 1,503,240 times
Reputation: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Pulaski Player View Post
I concur; the Hillcrest area sounds like a good fit. WLR, Maumelle, Bryant/Benton, etc. are more for us boring suburbanites...
There are nice things about all those places if yard space, price, and privacy are priorities. For those crazies like me that are atmosphere/walkability prioritizers though, Hillcrest is a great place to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2012, 06:55 AM
 
2 posts, read 4,586 times
Reputation: 13
That's awesome. Thank you all for the replies. Also, does anyone have any resources for schools in these areas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2012, 08:56 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 15,046,774 times
Reputation: 4482
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahrussell View Post
That's awesome. Thank you all for the replies. Also, does anyone have any resources for schools in these areas?
The only problem with the young, hip neighborhoods like Hillcrest and the Quapaw Quarter is they are in Little Rock School District, which most people would agree is not the best. The best schools are in Benton/Bryant, Conway, Cabot, Lonoke, etc. Pulaski County schools while not the best in the region is better than Little Rock school district so if you opt for Maumelle your kids will attend there. You are going to really need to decide if you want a young, hip, artsy neighborhood or good schools, because in Little Rock you can't have both unless you send your kids to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 AM
 
Location: The Great State of Arkansas
5,981 posts, read 16,325,824 times
Reputation: 7582
For elementary there is Cammack. They have their own school - after grade school, though, you're on your own...

This from another thread:


Quote:
Originally Posted by WLR View Post
...if you live in Riverdale you hit the trifecta of LRSD public schools (Forrest Park Elem, Pulaski Heights MS, and Central HS.) OP probably doesn't have kids but undoubtedly someone else will search one day and see this. It's the only trifecta in central Arkansas. You can find equal elementaries and maybe an equal MS but not while living in one single attendance zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2012, 06:53 PM
WLR
 
24 posts, read 76,076 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
The only problem with the young, hip neighborhoods like Hillcrest and the Quapaw Quarter is they are in Little Rock School District, which most people would agree is not the best. The best schools are in Benton/Bryant, Conway, Cabot, Lonoke, etc. Pulaski County schools while not the best in the region is better than Little Rock school district so if you opt for Maumelle your kids will attend there. You are going to really need to decide if you want a young, hip, artsy neighborhood or good schools, because in Little Rock you can't have both unless you send your kids to private school.
There person knows nothing about Central Ark schools. He should be trollflagged.

Central High one of the top high schools in the country. Forrest Park Elem, Jefferson, and Roberts are also amazing elementaries and better than anything in Benton and Bryant. Middle School options are weak in LRSD but Pulaski Heights is still as good as anything in central Arkansas.

Ignorance about LRSD is high which is why so many parents run to these other schools and think they're doing right by their children when really all they are doing is securing their own easy-to-understand mediocrity. Yes, Pulaski County school situation is highly complex due to desegration litigation but that does not exempt speakers from knowing the facts.

Yes, if you live in Quapaw w/ kids then you are zoned for bad schools and should either plan to pay for private or go Magnet (Gibbs or Williams.) But if you live in Riverdale, Heights, Hillcrest then you will be fine. WLR has great elementaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top