Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2013, 12:02 PM

9 posts, read 10,748 times

Advertisements

And what a change it will be, I'm sure.

I am coming to stay (indefinitely) with a friend I've known for many years. She lives in West Little Rock. I am relocating from Toledo, Ohio. If you've ever been to Toledo for more than a few days, you'll understand my wanting to get out. If not, just know that aside from an art museum, a zoo, and an awesome minor league baseball team, there's not much going on here. I've been living with my son who is 26, and he's the only one with a small monthly income, so it's just not working. We can't pay rent or bills, so it's time to move on. When I get to LRAR, I won't have to worry about those issues.

I sort of have little "helping out" jobs lined up for now, and I've been in contact with a few hotels since I have a strong background in customer service and hotel front desk.

The main drawback right now is that I won't have a car until I get my taxes back so hooray, bus line.

I am looking forward to the beautiful places I've seen like the lakes and mountains. I am also an avid amateur photographer, so I'm sure I'll have lots of new things to fill my lens.

Any advice for a LRAR newbie? By the way I am 46, Female.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:23 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,347,900 times
Hey sep, come on, and welcome to "The Natural State" . I'm sure your WLR friend can fill you in about our bus service which is somewhat limited, depending on where you will be living. We will be friendly to friendly people . And when you get a car, photo ops will be unlimited for day trips in all directions.

Please keep us posted with your experiences and opinions. Come on down 'cause our winters will be balmy compared to what you have been experiencing .

Old 11-13-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
Hey sep, come on, and welcome to "The Natural State" . I'm sure your WLR friend can fill you in about our bus service which is somewhat limited, depending on where you will be living. We will be friendly to friendly people . And when you get a car, photo ops will be unlimited for day trips in all directions.

Please keep us posted with your experiences and opinions. Come on down 'cause our winters will be balmy compared to what you have been experiencing .

Yes my friend said, "Don't expect a lot from our bus service here. It's not as reliable as it is up North." Well that gave me a bit of a laugh. Here in Toledo, bus service is only "good" weekdays and that is on the popular routes. A lot of our busses stop running around 8pm, and oh goodness, don't get me started on the deplorable weekend routes. I have heard that people are very friendly in AR, which is great. I was born and raised in a small, small town - so that's how I operate from the start. Can you imagine the reception I was given when I lived in New England? Heh, not quite the same. I will be living right near Markham/Ellis Street, so I understand as a major route, the bus service might be a call better on that street to the downtown area where there is more for a newbie to see and do? I am looking forward to seeing the River Market, the BDB, and yes, far more when I get a car.

Ironically, the people that bought my car said they used to live in Hope, AR. - and PS: Ohio winters can indeed be brutal. I am looking forward to ?no snow? but didn't you guys have a bad ice storm last winter? Everyone thinks Cleveland winter is horrendous, but when I lived there I was too in love with the city to notice.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:17 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,347,900 times
As your friend will tell you; bus service depends on how far "out of town" you live because the "burbs" have no routes, but any bus will give you access to River Market.

Ice is more likely here than snow, but last year we did have snow, with ice, that broke lots of power lines. We were some of the lucky ones and was out of power for only three days.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:16 AM

Well I wanted to give an update. Both myself and my cat made it to LR just fine. Unfortunately, somewhere along the Greyhound route, my ID, SS card, Debit card etc etc., was either lost or stolen. Thusly, here I am now having to start over even more than anticipated. I just sent for my birth certificate so I can then get a new SS card, so I can then get an Arkansas license. Question: If I have a valid (but missing) Ohio driver's license, can I just get a new Arkansas license without having to take the dreaded driver's exam?! Please say yes.

I have experienced a lot of "Southern Hospitality" since my arrival. I was at Starbucks trying to make calls and locate my ID/cards and a young man approached me. He said he'd had a similar experience once and knew the frustration, wished me luck, and handed me a $20 gift card. That same day, I walked to a pizza place and as a result of fighting to find my ID and stuff I had a killer headache. The waitress offered to walk over to a store and buy some Tylenol for me, and another waitress actually gave me some from her purse. Another person at a store gave me bus tokens. It's just little things like that which you would rarely see up North, and trust me it's a welcome change.

The holidays approach and I'm going to a big shindig with my house-friend. I am looking possibly for a nearby place to do some volunteering for the Christmas season and beyond.

Now another question: IF... I decide to stay here and get my own place, where are the areas to really avoid? The bad thing is, the most I could really spend on rent is maybe $500/mo. so that doesn't leave me many options. Right now I have no vehicle, so I'd have to have something right on or very close to the bus line. I know that getting into my own place is months away if at all, but I'd like to get some idea of "eh, it's an okay neighborhood" vs. "don't leave your apartment after dark" neighborhoods, you know? As a reminder, right now I am staying in WLR by Markham/Shackleford.

Old 11-27-2013, 01:22 PM

5,981 posts, read 18,216,892 times
I don't know this to be fact, and much would depend on you being able to get a replacement DL from Ohio, but I know my dad moved from Mississippi and didn't have to take a test - they just reissued for Arkansas. I'm sorry to hear about your dilemma, but hopefully it will be worked out soon.

Here's one thread on bus lines in LR, and another on apartment options. You might also check into the Argenta area of NLR and see what you come up with.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/littl...-impaired.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/littl...nment-vzw.html

I'm afraid you're not going to find much in that price range. Have you considered a roomie once you get your feet on the ground? I'm thinking it would probably be word of mouth since Craigslist really isn't all that hot here.

Do you have some sort of employment lined up, or an idea of what you're going to do? That might help some - be aware that buses in WLR are either few and far between or nonexistent. I don't think they run at all west of some part of Rodney Parham.

Here's a link to Central Arkansas Transit as well if you don't already have it:

Central Arkansas Transit Authority

Oh - WELCOME!!!!

Old 11-27-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks Sam.

Well.... so far as a roommate, I really sort of do better on my own. I'm living with a friend right now and oh guess what? She neglected to inform me that the house where she is staying (the house of a friend who's out of state) - that lady was/is a hoarder. Turns out, my friend isn't much better. So yeah, looking to find my own space.... soon. I want to be able to buy and make my own food, and do whatever I want, whenever I want without worrying about disturbing anyone or walking in on someone in the bathroom etc.

Little Rock's bus systems seems pretty lame. Why? Is it an issue of the city not having money to expand the services?

I don't have employment lined up yet - I have to wait until I get my ID and so on, you know because of the I-9 forms you have to fill out to prove you're 'Merican. I have a lot of hotel experience, but I don't know if that's really what I want to be doing. I took the #8 Rodney Parham bus today just to see where it goes and I did see some apartments on the bus route, so I'll probably do that again to keep from being bored and make a note of where they are. Ultimately though, the goal is to get a car when I get my taxes back. I just don't know if I'll get enough back to get both a car -and- an apartment. Keep your fingers crossed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area