Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2007, 09:26 PM

4 posts, read 16,142 times

Advertisements

We have only lived in the State of Arkansas since April and it's been a change for us. We just built a house in Bauxite and my kids started school there this school year.

We have lived in 3 different states and my son told me that there are a lot of kids who talk about drugs at this school. This concerns me. My son is a very good boy and he doesn't like this at all. He is a freshman at Bauxite H.S. My daughter is a sophomore and she said that it is not that bad.

Of course, my concern is peer pressure and what kind of kids go to this school?

I've contacted the school and they seem to think that there isn't really a drug problem and they don't have much for a anti-drug program but once a year. The other schools my children have gone to had posters all over the school discouraging drug use and encouraging to stand up against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2007, 01:23 AM

564 posts, read 2,334,163 times
It's called high school, honestly.

Unless you homeschool the kid, there is going to be drug talk somewhere, somehow. Such is life. Posters don't do a thing, they just make the people that post them feel better. If your son is a good kid, trust him. Tell him to ignore it. I ignored it through high school and college myself and I did just fine.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:21 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,719,750 times
Might be the crowd that your son has chosen to hang out with? Or since he is new, has chosen to hang out with him? Certain groups in any high school are into different things, unfortunely some of those "things" are drugs.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,732,570 times
Yeah, very good point arguy. Some schools here in AR are pretty insular and making friends can be hard. There's a definite pecking order in schools here and the new kids usually start off at the bottom unless they're athletic and then they'll be practically heralded as the second coming!

That doesn't solve your problem though and saying it's in all schools is unacceptable as well. Letting it go puts us on the slippery slope. First off, you HAVE to find out what drugs are being used and how rampant it is. Pulling that from teenagers will be understandably difficult but until you have some data (even poorly gained data is better than no data at all) you'll have trouble getting people to wake up. Work it up the chain of command. If you get dead ended at the Super and Board levels then use the police and local media to raise awareness. But don't even think of going to the latter until you've reached your wits end with school admin. If you go to church, start talking to your church leaders. These are powerful forces in most AR towns and good allies to have!

Old 12-04-2007, 09:30 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,423,957 times
I have raised 3 daughters and each of them told me that when they were new in school they were included in conversations about drugs but they thought the older students were including them in the conversation so they could get some indication as to wether the new student may have "connections." just something to think about.

Last edited by Capt. Dan; 12-04-2007 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: misspell
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
View detailed profiles of: