Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 07:51 PM

232 posts, read 189,340 times

Advertisements

I know this is an old thread, but LR reminds me of Columbia, SC. Though LR feels somewhat larger than Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 10:38 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,441,822 times
20 years ago I would have said Louisville, KY, but Louisville has exploded since then.

Columbia is a good comparison. Knoxville, TN.....Albuquerque, NM also?

Old 04-01-2020, 01:22 PM

83 posts, read 174,050 times
I'm glad someone "resurrected" this thread as I don't think I had seen it. I think lots of good points are made here. I agree that in reality, Little Rock is a bigger metro than most realize given the way municipalities are divided/distributed here.

When North Little Rock (deviously) split from Little Rock in 1904, I think it forever changed the perception of the city. Combined, today's population of just LR and NLR would be about 270,000 - and it might have been bigger had it always been one city. If Sherwood were also accounted for, which is ENTIRELY contiguous with NLR, at 30,000, this essentially equates to a central city of 300,000, which would align more typically with the scale of what might be expected as an anchor to a metro of 750,000 (est. 2019).

But to everyone's point, it too often gets compared with smaller metros because of the central city's population, like Shreveport and Jackson, when it's arguably a better comparison to Omaha or Albuquerque...and maybe even Tulsa. Though these examples are all slightly larger, I think they're more comparable than Jackson or Shreveport. In fact, you'd have to REMOVE Little Rock from the LR-NLR-Conway MSA for it to be the same size as Jackson, and you'd have to cut the metro by MORE THAN HALF to compare it to Shreveport.

All of this makes me lament the various efforts over the years to combine LR and NLR, or even create a combined county-wide municipal entity like Nashville and Louisville have done. If that were the case, the city would be right at 400,000. There was some effort and momentum in this regard for a while after the "regional" Central Arkansas Water was formed - Warren Stephens for example was publicly promoting this concept about ten years ago. The world is getting smaller and smaller - this only makes sense in competing on even a regional stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area