U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2008, 04:08 PM

134 posts, read 628,872 times

Advertisements

Newbie here...love the forum!

Living in So Calif where the average house costs over $500k, it is almost unimaginable for me to see the cost of housing from Realtor.com in the Little Rock area.

Can someone familiar with the Little Rock area give me some zip codes of areas that are nice? I'd like to get an idea of why some areas have housing priced so low?

My situation...
I had a work related injury and after years of court battles, my support is about over. I will be left high and dry by the state of CA! Therefore, I can't afford much regarding housing. I am living off savings in CA and I have to get out.

So I ask and wonder, is living in a manufactured home or mobile home always going to be associated with low income areas, if that means being associated with higher crime and safety issues?

Thanks...

Last edited by Pocketplayer; 01-08-2008 at 04:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 06:25 PM

5,981 posts, read 17,066,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketplayer View Post
Newbie here...love the forum!

Living in So Calif where the average house costs over $500k, it is almost unimaginable for me to see the cost of housing from Realtor.com in the Little Rock area.

Can someone familiar with the Little Rock area give me some zip codes of areas that are nice? I'd like to get an idea of why some areas have housing priced so low?

My situation...
I had a work related injury and after years of court battles, my support is about over. I will be left high and dry by the state of CA! Therefore, I can't afford much regarding housing. I am living off savings in CA and I have to get out.

So I ask and wonder, is living in a manufactured home or mobile home always going to be associated with low income areas, if that means being associated with higher crime and safety issues?
Thanks...
I think housing just seems really low compared to where you're coming from! Seriously, there are many nice areas of Little Rock, but zip codes...well, that's a little misleading. 72205 covers parts of Hillcrest (good) and parts of Asher Avenue (bad). I guess the most prestigious are 72207 and 72227, which would be most of the Heights and west, and most of west Little Rock. Stay north of I-630 and west of the Deaf School on Markham and you'll be fine....for the most part.

Well, in Little Rock there really aren't any nice mobile home parks, I don't think...where I can think of parks right off the top of my head would be questionable. However, Benton and Bryant and Alexander have some nice parks, and they are basically suburbs of Little Rock. Can't say about N. Little Rock - I'm sure Sherwood and Jacksonville also have parks but I can't give you a personal review.

Lots of people own a small piece of land just outside the city and have mobile homes, but the zoning laws change with every city expansion. Best figure out where it is you want to live before addressing that!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:29 PM

45 posts, read 144,852 times
When you make the move to Little Rock, how much would you be wanting to spend? This would give me a better idea of what, exactly, you are looking for. If you would like to send me a direct message, that is fine. I receive an email when I get a message there, so I could respond quicker. I hope I can help!

Old 01-09-2008, 08:48 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,233,658 times
As was highlighted by the news yesterday and the sirens going off, tornados and manufactured housing don't mix!! I personally think mobile homes and manufactured housing should be banned in Arkansas because of the risk they pose.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:19 AM

I noticed our statewide spokesperson was there for the news cameras...he must move a lot...why do they have to find the one person who says "it sounded like a freight train...first my trailer was here, then it was there".......every single time......

Old 01-09-2008, 01:45 PM

134 posts, read 628,872 times
First, thanks for the replies!

The zip codes work for me being outside the state currently and am unfamiliar with locations like, Stay north of I-630 and west of the Deaf School on Markham.

As for finances, I have about 75K liquid assets now and stand to inherit about $350k in about three years. If I was moving with gainful employment I would be just fine.

Like mentioned previously, I had a work related injury that has made my life miserable. I have to live off savings and hope for a part-time job to supplement living off interest. So I am trying to buy low and pay off 100%. I'd like to purchase the property to avoid monthly lot costs and just settle for annual taxes. I am single so have a lot of flexibility.

I am very open to strategies from those who could help regarding my situation.

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-09-2008, 01:58 PM

Go to mapquest or somewhere and pull up a map of Little Rock. You will see I-630 running east and west right through the middle of town...so north of that. If you can find Woodrow St., that's about the 1900 block west. It's a little further west that I told you to stay, but it's a good landmark to start with.

The baseline roads in Little Rock are Markham and Main Street. University is the 6000 block west...12th St. is obviously the 1200 block south. Past that you just have to guesstimate.

With $75K in liquid assets, I would look in the Capitol View area and down around the Markham/Brown-Martin area, which should be about the 2500 block west or so. There are some neat little and not-so-little cottages coming open down there, usually running $80-90K and up, but you can pick something up cheaper if you're willing to do a little work on it yourself. Also look in the Broadmoor area, west side, which would not be my first choice but has some decent areas...about the 4000 block south off University. Another area would be off about the 8500 or 9000 block west off Markham, generally between Rodney Parham and Markham - Poinsetta, Santa Fe, etc. Those houses may be running more than $75K now, probably are...but not much more and you might find a distress sale.

I think with $75K you might find a piece of property that you could pay off completely or if you still want to, put a mobile home on and take out a land/home note, or buy a less expensive mobile home and pay it off completely as well. If you buy property, make sure it already has utilities to it and you can get city water and sewer. You don't want to have to dig for septic and a well. The problem I can see is that you will have to be out from town a little bit in order to do so, which will remove you from immediate medical care - then again, I don't know if you need that.

Your taxes in the areas I've mentioned will be reasonable, if not downright cheap.

I am DMing you some information - maybe you will find it useful. I did!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area