Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2016, 01:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,349 times

Advertisements

My husband received a promotion and now my family and I are relocating from Orlando and have the choice of either little rock or Oklahoma City. Which city do you prefer and why??? Thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2016, 05:23 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
I've lived in Little Rock and currently live in OKC.

Little Rock is much, much more beautiful naturally and has more nearby outdoor stuff to do. It's not as conservative as OKC (though Arkansas is a very conservative state). The weather in Little Rock is slightly better with less extremes and less tornado risk. OKC has a marginally better downtown, though Little Rock, for its size, is no slouch. OKC has a wider array of bars, restaurants, and ethnic cuisines. Little Rock has much better BBQ. Little Rock's economy is more stable. OKC's is heavily dependent on the energy industry and is subject to booms and busts. To me, the real advantage to OKC over Little Rock would be affordable suburban living. Little Rock has Maumelle, but its expensive so most people are going to end up in places like Cabot, Benton, or Bryant, which aren't as nice as OKC suburbs and you'll be commuting a lot farther. In OKC, it's easier to get into an affordable, nice subdivision within a reasonable commute distance from downtown.

Crime is worse in Little Rock, but its concentrated in a specific part of town. OKC has lower overall crime but there are more problem neighborhoods scattered throughout the city.

For me, this would be a difficult decision but I would probably go Little Rock simply because of the natural beauty. Central Oklahoma's landscape is rather stark and it can be a tough adjustment if you are used to the trees and greenery of the eastern US. If that wasn't a factor, then I would probably go OKC.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:34 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Weather alone would make me choose Little Rock. We have never lived in either but out granddaughter and hubby both are OU grads. Neither were raised in OK, but after graduation the married, bought their home and had 2 kids there. They never did care for the area, now live in AR. but not Little Rock. It is true Little Rock isn't quite as conservative as OKC if this makes a difference to you. Our one daughter lives in Orlando. She and hubby love AR. The cost of living might be a hair lower in AR. I am not positive of that. The crime rate in OKC is probably lower, but I doubt you would be living in the inner city regardless of your choice.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:33 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Weather alone would make me choose Little Rock. We have never lived in either but out granddaughter and hubby both are OU grads. Neither were raised in OK, but after graduation the married, bought their home and had 2 kids there. They never did care for the area, now live in AR. but not Little Rock. It is true Little Rock isn't quite as conservative as OKC if this makes a difference to you. Our one daughter lives in Orlando. She and hubby love AR. The cost of living might be a hair lower in AR. I am not positive of that. The crime rate in OKC is probably lower, but I doubt you would be living in the inner city regardless of your choice.
Oklahoma, especially the OKC area, is an acquired taste. A lot of people here love it but I haven't been able to fully assimilate. For me, it is too conservative, too brown and treeless, and it is lacking everyday amenities any city this size should have. Too bad Tulsa isn't an option for the OP, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds. It has most of the advantages of Little Rock without the disadvantages, and blows away both Little Rock and OKC in terms of amenities.

I actually think the cost of living is significantly lower in Arkansas. Not really in terms of real estate values and prices on every day items, but things like car insurance and electricity are very expensive in Oklahoma, well above the national average. These things add up.

The real disadvantage to Little Rock, to me, is its suburbs. With the exception of Maumelle and far west Little Rock, they just aren't very nice. If you are making enough to live in Little Rock proper or Maumelle, I would hands down choose Little Rock. Living somewhere like Cabot or Benton and commuting in would not be ideal for me. It might not be an issue for the OP.

Old 01-26-2016, 07:33 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Some older parts of Little Rock are quite nice, as far as housing is concerned. Check out Pulaski Heights and nearby neighborhoods between there and the river, if you are open to older homes which are generally well-maintained. This area is more architecturally diverse, although the styles are compatible, has mature trees, nearby shopping, and is convenient to the university and downtown.

I'd also vote for Little Rock, for the same reasons already cited. Conway also might work as a bedroom community, though it's a longer commute than Benton or Bryant. Parts of North Little Rock should not be excluded, either.

Old 01-26-2016, 03:36 PM

16 posts, read 60,329 times
More of the same I guess. While OKC is larger and has OU, it's pretty flat. If you have to travel, OKC will have more options. It seems less isolated, but Little Rock is very pretty with nice hills. If you are into the outdoors, Little Rock has more to offer I think.

Housing prices are pretty similar with pretty good deals on new construction. In Austin a small 3 bedroom in the burbs can be in the mid 200's and either Little Rock or OKC you can find nice developments with homes in the low 100's. Just search for New Homes in Little Rock or Oklahoma City and you can easily compare communities.

Good luck!

Old 02-04-2016, 09:45 AM

14 posts, read 27,264 times
Benton is a half hour drive to Little Rock, nice little community....and half hour drive to Hot Springs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area