U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2008, 01:12 AM

7 posts, read 18,044 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at being back in Arkansas at the end of the year after being away for some time. I have ageing relatives in Conway. What's the job situation like? I have many skills and lots of experience in education, writing and the arts, but am open to most anything in the short term.

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:47 PM

7,946 posts, read 16,619,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie B View Post
I'm looking at being back in Arkansas at the end of the year after being away for some time. I have ageing relatives in Conway. What's the job situation like? I have many skills and lots of experience in education, writing and the arts, but am open to most anything in the short term.

Thanks
Conway, although far enough away that it doesn't feel like a suburb, is essentially a bedroom community for Little Rock. Some people work in Conway, but a majority commute to Little Rock for work. Conway is known for its outstanding public school system and attracts middle class families from the LR area for that reason. Although I have no idea what the requirements are or how extensive your experience is, if you've had experience in education you maybe could find a job with the public school system or at one of the colleges.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:07 PM

697 posts, read 2,900,668 times
Like bchris02 said, it sounds like your best options would be the colleges in Conway -- Hendrix College, the University of Central Arkansas, or Central Baptist College. At least, those would be a good starting point. There's also a community college affiliated with the University of Arkansas system in Morrilton, about 25 minutes northwest of Conway on I-40, and of course UALR and everything else Little Rock has to offer anywhere from a half hour to 45 minutes or so to the southeast.

The city of Conway's web site has a page listing the major employers in the city that you may find useful also:

Working in Conway

Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 PM

364 posts, read 1,239,062 times
Nearly half of Faulkner County residents (which is the county that Conway is in) work in Pulaski County. Other than the local universities, there are not many professional jobs in Conway. The best place to meet Conway residents is on I-40 and I-430 during Little Rock's rush hours.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:05 AM

7 posts, read 18,044 times
Many thanks for these leads.

Old 04-30-2008, 02:10 PM

5 posts, read 18,785 times
Allso check <a href="http://www.thecabin.net/">The Cabin</a>, Conway's local newspaper. In the box on the left labeled "View XX TopJobs" click on Jobs for a pop-up list of the current job classifieds.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:15 AM

350 posts, read 1,234,197 times
Acxiom is a major employer but the job outlook in Conway has generally been good because of the natural gas boom. There are a few energy companies with regional offices in Conway that would be a good place to start.

Of course, most people do commute as has already been stated, but certainly not all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area