U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 01:01 PM

12 posts, read 11,487 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Since there is not a Jonesboro thread I thought I could post this here.

I am a musician from Memphis looking to move to Arkansas but am unsure of which area might be best. I lived in Northwest Arkansas previously and liked it, but it was too isolated from my other band members in Memphis. I have (kind of) narrowed down my search to the Jonesboro area (or maybe the Little Rock area, but strongly leaning toward Jonesboro).

I'm looking for somewhere not far from Memphis (max) so I can get to band practices, somewhere with a good homeschooling group, and a pretty safe area for a family with children to live. The main reason I want to leave the Memphis area is the high crime - and it only seems to have gotten worse. Is Jonesboro a good place to raise a family and relatively safe? I have read that the northern part of the city is not the most desirable to move to. Is this correct? Would it be better to live on the outskirts?

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 16,475 times
I know Jonesboro as a fairly quiet but changing city. One of my business clients was the hospital/medical center there. I don't know if the city would be my first choice, but I understand your wanting to move from Memphis (Istill own a house in GTown).

I met a few transplants from Jonesboro who worked in Management and restaurant staff for Outback who moved to Florida to work for the Half Shell in Sarasota.. 2 girls, 3 guys as I remember....Neither of them had too much good to say about JB and were happy as hell to leave the region...they are all under 32 or so as I recall talking with them.

I lived in Little Rock (westside), and I would choose LR over JB any day of the week...smarter people, better healthcare, better shopping, better entertainment, better housing, etc. In many ways LR is much better than MEM. You couldn't get me to ever move back to MEM on afull time basis, so I understand your wanting move - crime is even creeping down eastbound from Winchester to Hacks near southwind which is sad indeed. LR is farther away from MEm but it's a better choice. (PS- I used to sit-in with Joyce Cobb, Duck Dunn, The Memphis Horns -Andrew Love at a place called the Cruel Shoe on Poplar, and others I consider personal friends like David Porter, and loved to sit-in with the great Shawn Lane....not to mention my old friend Eddie Harrison)

Good luck

Last edited by tram hudson; 11-23-2016 at 08:15 AM..

Old 11-24-2016, 10:53 AM

4,315 posts, read 2,893,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tram hudson View Post
I know Jonesboro as a fairly quiet but changing city. One of my business clients was the hospital/medical center there. I don't know if the city would be my first choice, but I understand your wanting to move from Memphis (Istill own a house in GTown).

I met a few transplants from Jonesboro who worked in Management and restaurant staff for Outback who moved to Florida to work for the Half Shell in Sarasota.. 2 girls, 3 guys as I remember....Neither of them had too much good to say about JB and were happy as hell to leave the region...they are all under 32 or so as I recall talking with them.

I lived in Little Rock (westside), and I would choose LR over JB any day of the week...smarter people, better healthcare, better shopping, better entertainment, better housing, etc. In many ways LR is much better than MEM. You couldn't get me to ever move back to MEM on afull time basis, so I understand your wanting move - crime is even creeping down eastbound from Winchester to Hacks near southwind which is sad indeed. LR is farther away from MEm but it's a better choice. (PS- I used to sit-in with Joyce Cobb, Duck Dunn, The Memphis Horns -Andrew Love at a place called the Cruel Shoe on Poplar, and others I consider personal friends like David Porter, and loved to sit-in with the great Shawn Lane....not to mention my old friend Eddie Harrison) in the Little Rock paper

Good luck
....."3rd paragraph )........" better healthcare".....maybe true but with St Bernards and the new NEA hospital , Jonesboro has great healthcare also.
................................" smarter people".........rather condescending !
Many people in Jonesboro, of all ages, are college grads.

From reading the crime stories in the Little Rock paper , it appears that is an area that Little Rock beats Jonesboro if a HIGHER crime index rate is what the OP desires....SARC

yes, moving out of Memphis to avoid crime is understandable.

Here are City-Data crime index

(289 is US average )

Memphis.......802
Little Rock....737
Jonesboro....395

Last edited by David A Stone; 11-24-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 11-25-2016, 06:25 PM

26,394 posts, read 44,012,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songtown View Post
Hello all,

Since there is not a Jonesboro thread I thought I could post this here.

I am a musician from Memphis looking to move to Arkansas but am unsure of which area might be best. I lived in Northwest Arkansas previously and liked it, but it was too isolated from my other band members in Memphis. I have (kind of) narrowed down my search to the Jonesboro area (or maybe the Little Rock area, but strongly leaning toward Jonesboro).

I'm looking for somewhere not far from Memphis (max) so I can get to band practices, somewhere with a good homeschooling group, and a pretty safe area for a family with children to live. The main reason I want to leave the Memphis area is the high crime - and it only seems to have gotten worse. Is Jonesboro a good place to raise a family and relatively safe? I have read that the northern part of the city is not the most desirable to move to. Is this correct? Would it be better to live on the outskirts?

Thank you very much!
There is no Jonesboro forum but there are about 50 threads about Jonesboro. Here are the major ones:
Jonesboro - dry county
Moving to Jonesboro
Need Info on Jonesboro, Arkansas & Surrounding Areas
need info on Jonesboro
Jonesboro is the 2nd best place in Arkansas
Can anyone tell me what Jonesboro is like?
Thoughts on Jonesboro / Paragould
$1.15 gas in jonesboro, ar
Jonesboro commute
why are there so many Tornadoes in Jonesboro? and what part of town do they hit???
Good/bad areas in Jonesboro?

Old 11-26-2016, 10:44 AM

21 posts, read 16,475 times
Little Rock is the capital. JB is a wide spot in the road. Can't fairly compare them.

I stand by my opinion that LR has smarter people based on my own experience in business, finance and education.

Given the number of accountants, attorneys, bankers (see firms such as Stephens in LR), elected state officials, lobbyists, professors (UALR), physicians (med school, etc), legislators, numbers of small business owners, etc.

Companies that are based in LR, and/or largest employers are numerous:

Dillard's
Heifer International
Falcon Jet
Oxford American
Windstream communication
McClarty
Axciom
The Federal Govt/Agencies

There is no comparison. Little Rock is way smarter/sophisticated by most measures. If facts are condescending, sobeit.
Atlanta is "smarter" than Jackson MS. NYC is "smarter" than Jacksonville.

Old 11-27-2016, 12:13 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,893,604 times
Quote:
Little Rock is the capital. JB is a wide spot in the road. Can't fairly compare them.

I stand by my opinion that LR has smarter people based on my own experience in business, finance and education.

Given the number of accountants, attorneys, bankers (see firms such as Stephens in LR), elected state officials, lobbyists, professors (UALR), physicians (med school, etc), legislators, numbers of small business owners, etc.

Companies that are based in LR, and/or largest employers are numerous:

Dillard's
Heifer International
Falcon Jet
Oxford American
Windstream communication
McClarty
Axciom
The Federal Govt/Agencies

There is no comparison. Little Rock is way smarter/sophisticated by most measures. If facts are condescending, sobeit.
Atlanta is "smarter" than Jackson MS. NYC is "smarter" than Jacksonville.
are the "smarter" people all the ones driving up that HUGE crime rate of Little Rock ?

Old 11-27-2016, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I lived in Little Rock (westside), and I would choose LR over JB any day of the week...smarter people, better healthcare, better shopping, better entertainment, better housing, etc. In many ways LR is much better than MEM. You couldn't get me to ever move back to MEM on afull time basis, so I understand your wanting move - crime is even creeping down eastbound from Winchester to Hacks near southwind which is sad indeed. LR is farther away from MEm but it's a better choice. (PS- I used to sit-in with Joyce Cobb, Duck Dunn, The Memphis Horns -Andrew Love at a place called the Cruel Shoe on Poplar, and others I consider personal friends like David Porter, and loved to sit-in with the great Shawn Lane....not to mention my old friend Eddie Harrison)

Good luck
Thank you for your input, Tram. I understand what you are saying about the crime near Southwind - it really is sad. I can't believe so many cops were lost due to the recent benefits cut. It was the last thing needed in Memphis!

Re: Joyce Cobb, The Memphis Horns, Shawn Lane, etc. - very cool! Thank you

Old 11-27-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
....."3rd paragraph )........" better healthcare".....maybe true but with St Bernards and the new NEA hospital , Jonesboro has great healthcare also.
................................" smarter people".........rather condescending !
Many people in Jonesboro, of all ages, are college grads.

From reading the crime stories in the Little Rock paper , it appears that is an area that Little Rock beats Jonesboro if a HIGHER crime index rate is what the OP desires....SARC

yes, moving out of Memphis to avoid crime is understandable.

Here are City-Data crime index

(289 is US average )

Memphis.......802
Little Rock....737
Jonesboro....395
Hi David, thank you for that info! Yes, I had read that Jonesboro crime was a lot lower than Memphis and Little Rock. I know it's a smaller area, but to me as long as we have most of the amenities we need and it's not a TINY place, I think we'd be happy. I understand that the western part of Little Rock and Jonesboro are both growing from what I've read.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM

Hi Poncho! Thank you very much for these; I've read some of them, but I will make sure to check them all out!

Old 12-24-2016, 10:29 AM

4 posts, read 4,091 times
Jonesboro isn't good for anything unless you're country or like having nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area