U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 07:37 AM

619 posts, read 493,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromcalifornia View Post
My family and I are relocating from California to the Little Rock/Conway area. We have family there and have visited the area once before. Besides what our family already has in mind, what are some of the things we have to visit/see in order to really get the feel of Arkansas? I been told I have to attend at least 1 Razorback football game.

Besides what's been said about football games there having few tickets each week, UALR would be closer to where you're looking at. Do the Trojans play football or is that more of a basketball school?

Just kinda cruising by. I'm also from CA and looked at going to a private college in the near-northwest of AR (U. of the Ozarks).

Last edited by Native Transplant; 05-24-2018 at 07:51 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 10:55 AM

506 posts, read 530,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
gee I really need to pay more attention: I haven't seen many chewing tobacco here. I think what you seem to forget is there are areas of AR, like every other state that are very rural. I do not think the OP is considering moving to one of those regions. If I am not mistaken, from what you are saying, you have not even lived in the area for years and certainly not the more metro areas. The beauty of Ar, as I have often said is: you can live in a metro area and still only be 15 minutes from a rural community or visa versa. It is the best of both worlds.
We lived in Hot Springs Village for nine years. Very happy years with the exception of a huge problem with chiggers keeping us up half the night . Then there were the ladybug infestations.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM
sub

2,752 posts, read 1,187,651 times
What SusanG_O is describing is VERY common throughout the majority of Arkansas. City. Town. Rural. Glad she likes it anyway.
What NWA posters describe are the nicer parts of NWA and perhaps a handful other places around the state. Those places are utterly overwhelmed with outsiders that it's barely recognizable to the rest of Arkansas. It looks like an anywhere suburb, which isn't bad, but it sure isn't like the rest of Arkansas. The exception might be places like Mountain Home which still looks and feels like traditional Arkansas in spite of the new crowd.

Old 05-25-2018, 06:19 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,495,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
What SusanG_O is describing is VERY common throughout the majority of Arkansas. City. Town. Rural. Glad she likes it anyway.
What NWA posters describe are the nicer parts of NWA and perhaps a handful other places around the state. Those places are utterly overwhelmed with outsiders that it's barely recognizable to the rest of Arkansas. It looks like an anywhere suburb, which isn't bad, but it sure isn't like the rest of Arkansas. The exception might be places like Mountain Home which still looks and feels like traditional Arkansas in spite of the new crowd.
of course AR is a rural state and has the same problems most rural states have, but it also has areas that are great, much like any other state, and that is not just NWA. There are fantastic places to live in Little Rock, Russleville area, yes, Conway and other regions around the state. You happen to not like AR, which is your choice and right. Some of us really enjoy the mixture of rural and urban. I was thinking about this when we had breakfast at our little, favorite cafe in an adjoining city last Sat. Everyone in the restaurant or almost knew each other, the waitress even knew what everyone would be ordering almost as soon as they sat down. That is the interesting part of living here. Yesterday we took a drive out to a little farm in MO where we like to buy honey and some of our produce It is only about 20 minutes from where we live. The drive is fun and lovely. Before that we did some shopping at a large shopping complex only 20 minutes the other direction. so yes, we are cheer leaders for living here, but we have our reasons and most of us have come from outside the area.

Old 05-26-2018, 07:07 AM
sub

2,752 posts, read 1,187,651 times
Quote:
of course AR is a rural state and has the same problems most rural states have, but it also has areas that are great, much like any other state, and that is not just NWA. There are fantastic places to live in Little Rock, Russleville area, yes, Conway and other regions around the state. You happen to not like AR, which is your choice and right. Some of us really enjoy the mixture of rural and urban. I was thinking about this when we had breakfast at our little, favorite cafe in an adjoining city last Sat. Everyone in the restaurant or almost knew each other, the waitress even knew what everyone would be ordering almost as soon as they sat down. That is the interesting part of living here. Yesterday we took a drive out to a little farm in MO where we like to buy honey and some of our produce It is only about 20 minutes from where we live. The drive is fun and lovely. Before that we did some shopping at a large shopping complex only 20 minutes the other direction. so yes, we are cheer leaders for living here, but we have our reasons and most of us have come from outside the area.
What I was talking about had nothing to do with being rural. I have nothing against that. From my experience, what you describe in that cafe can be found almost anywhere.
Arkansas doesn't have the market cornered on rural access from populated areas. Outside of some very dense and spread out coastal cities, it's quite common.

Last edited by sub; 05-26-2018 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-26-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
What I was talking about had nothing to do with being rural. I have nothing against that. From my experience, what you describe in that cafe can be found almost anywhere.
Arkansas doesn't have the market cornered on rural access from populated areas. Outside of some very dense and spread out coastal cities, it's quite common, often with far fewer instances of the sort SusanG_O describes.
you know, I do not have to be told about rural versus urban or what other states have. I have lived in 7 states in my life, small towns as well as huge metro areas like Los Angeles, the bay area, DC and Dallas. Yes, all areas have coffee shops that are populated by locals. I was just making that comment, as not all regions have the proximity to urban and rural so close. BTW I am glad you have nothing against rural living. I am sure this will impress everyone.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:11 AM

11,827 posts, read 9,745,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanG_O View Post
Isn't a culture shock the truth ! Ask a realtor about the Sleepy Valley area of Hot Springs and do not buy anything near there! Meth, theft and police patrol , thank goodness, are heavy in Sleepy Valley. Last week, a man who robbed three banks was apprehended at a Sonic by Federal Marshalls. He served a lot of time in prison but now he's back in jail.
I have read about the bath houses and a man who partook of one was embarrassed to death and wishes he had never done it. When I lived near Hot Springs only one bath house was open for baths. But they're sort of fun to walk through.
We visited Petit Jean Park once and found it pretty but very boring. And hot. I did enjoy the things at the gift shop.
Digging for crystals at Coleman's Crystal Mine outside Hot Springs is a fun way to spend a few hours but not in the summer months! Wait until fall or winter. It's also hard work so I hope you're in good shape. If you do go there stop at The Shack in Jessieville. It is enormously popular and has great fried food and fantastic soft serve ice cream cones. They actually have chocolate that was amazing when we lived near Jessieville. Very slow service, though. I really miss that food. It's so popular they've remodeled it. This is unusual for the Hot Springs area.
I am now in Texas and, looking back, I didn't find the people in Hot Springs to be all that friendly or nice. Of course, some are but in Texas the "bag boys" don't smart off to you or they get fired. And don't walk downtown after dark. At Christmas time I found that certain types of people became quite aggressive wanting to talk to you . I found people stopping me on the street downtown asking for money for their relative's Christmas gifts. I was told by a lady at the fantastic pizza buffet downtown called, " CICI'S " to "please go home. " Why? Because they got my order wrong and had to redo it. I actually felt sorry for her, though, since it was over 100 degrees in that kitchen. I miss Cici's anyway. Always packed, amazing rolls , various types of pizza at an arm's reach.
Message me if you want more information. I did love Hot Springs and would move back today if I could; but I can't.
Sorry you were "bored" at Petit Jean. Of course, some people prefer passive entertainment rather than finding joy in the natural world's wonders, which are certainly present in abundance at Petit Jean: spectacular Cedar Falls, fantastic views, rugged cliffs, remarkable rock formations found nowhere else in the world (turtle rocks, carpet rocks, etc.) spectacular sunsets, good food, boating on the lake, swimming, historic CCC-built lodge and cabins, Arkansas River overlooks, miles of hiking trails, the Bear Cave, prehistoric petroglyphs...all can be found atop this beautiful small mountain, along with wildflowers, a remarkable assortment of birds and other wildlife, and more.

Like most state and national parks, Petit Jean is not an amusement park.

I'm sure the people operating the therapeutic baths in Hot Springs have seen it all. Perhaps your friend who was so embarrassed needed to do his homework, or ask about what to expect before participating.

I agree that crystal mining is best conducted during the cooler months, rather than in the heat of the summer. That's common sense. But beautiful things can be found at Coleman's, as at other crystal mines nearby and close to Mt. Ida. Ditto Crater of Diamonds - not a good summer activity. Again, common sense.

Sorry you were so soured by many of Arkansas's best-known attractions and places.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:37 AM

1,716 posts, read 933,204 times
Quote:
it is very hard to read a comment when there are no paragraphs, so I am not sure what you are really saying about AR. If I understand you correctly you are basing your opinion pretty much on Hot Springs, which is only one small part of AR.

I can assure you NWA is very friendly: a lot more so than Texas and not nearly as hot. There are plenty of things to do. The only major difference between NWA anyway and Dallas, LA or the DC area is lack of as much traffic, COL, and yes, the Bible influence to some degree. We learned very early on, when someone asks about attending their church all you have to say, is we have our own church family or simply we are not church people. Most will appreciate your views. Of course Texas is as bad when it comes to religion.

I am amazed anyone would miss CiCis, but they have them everywhere so am sure you could find one in Texas and for the panhandlers and meth problems, these are also nationwide, not just in one region of the country.

Sightseeing you have done: the diamond mines or crystal mines are not meant to entertain for hours and as for Petit Jean Park, of course it is boring, it is meant to be a place to relax and unwind.

You can think what you want, but for us AR is a diamond in the rough.

Now, if your comments were made tongue in cheek, forgive me.

Sorry Texas offers a better quality of life than Arkansas. Hey one of your Wal-mart heirs calls Texas home. The Dallas Cowboys are owned by an Arkansas Razorback. And as far as COL, there's a reason its so dirt cheap in Arkansas..no one is rushing to live there!

You know which state has the most UofArkansas alumni outside of the diamond state? Texas. And as far as religion, Arkansas has much more GROUP THINK (re, Southern Baptist) than modern day Texas. There are quite a few large congregations of various Christian denominations, plus synagogues, etc. that you would find in Texas, than its northeast neighboring state.

BTW, Cici's, Chuck E. Cheese, Pizza Inn and Pizza Hut are all headquartered in the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a few former California companies moved to D/FW since 2005, like Jamba Juice, Flour Engineering and Kubota Tractors.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Sorry Texas offers a better quality of life than Arkansas. Hey one of your Wal-mart heirs calls Texas home. The Dallas Cowboys are owned by an Arkansas Razorback. And as far as COL, there's a reason its so dirt cheap in Arkansas..no one is rushing to live there!

You know which state has the most UofArkansas alumni outside of the diamond state? Texas. And as far as religion, Arkansas has much more GROUP THINK (re, Southern Baptist) than modern day Texas. There are quite a few large congregations of various Christian denominations, plus synagogues, etc. that you would find in Texas, than its northeast neighboring state.

BTW, Cici's, Chuck E. Cheese, Pizza Inn and Pizza Hut are all headquartered in the Dallas/Fort Worth area as a few former California companies moved to D/FW since 2005, like Jamba Juice, Flour Engineering and Kubota Tractors.
Quality of life is a subjective topic but according to many studies, if you take those studies seriously some of the best places to live are right here in AR. I spent 13 years living in Texas. I am very much aware of the pros and cons of the state and yes, of course I know who owns the Cowboys. His grandson will probably be a starter for the Hogs this year. And yes, companies have moved to Texas. We all know that, we ourselves moved from Los Angeles Co to Texas via DC back in the 80s. We had a daughter, her husband and 2 grand children living there at the time. I will mention they all live here now and none intend on moving back.

BTW, col though much lower than many places is not anywhere near the lowest in the country and as for people rushing to live here, do some research, one of the reasons AR has gone from a blue to a red state has to do with all the transplants living here. They come from all over the country, for many reasons.

No one is saying AR is the place everyone should live and as mentioned it is still a rural state, but it is a great place to raise kids and a state that gets a very bad wrap. I know our kids could live anywhere, they are in business for themselves and quite successful I will mention. Their kids could live anywhere Our older granddaughter, raised in Texas is a nurse practitioner and hubby an accountant, they choose to live here as well.

Old 05-26-2018, 11:22 AM

11,827 posts, read 9,745,255 times
Just curious: How many of you all who presently live in Arkansas and comment regularly here are Arkansas natives? If you are a transplant, how long have you lived in Arkansas? If you are neither, what is your connection to the Land of Opportunity/ Rackensack/ Natural State/ Arkansas?

I neither am a native nor a resident, but have five generations of Arkansas roots through my Arkansas native mother, and have spent substantial time with family there since I was a tiny baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area