U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 07:11 AM
sub

2,119 posts, read 906,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Just curious: How many of you all who presently live in Arkansas and comment regularly here are Arkansas natives? If you are a transplant, how long have you lived in Arkansas? If you are neither, what is your connection to the Land of Opportunity/ Rackensack/ Natural State/ Arkansas?

I neither am a native nor a resident, but have five generations of Arkansas roots through my Arkansas native mother, and have spent substantial time with family there since I was a tiny baby.
Born. Several years while growing up. Several years as an adult. Usually lived fairly close when not actually living in the state.
I would rather pay high taxes, mooch off a system, or live in a van over living in Arkansas for retirement.
Although some will take it as such, that is not meant to be an insult to those who choose Arkansas as a place to live. It's just how I feel personally.
I know and have met many people are the same way which is why I don't have a tendency to skip over certain issues when talking about Arkansas.
I'm glad people like it.
Sometimes I'm.... fascinated by their enthusiasm.
Even I can see how it would be an improvement over Illinois, Texas, or California in many ways, but..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 07:17 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,634,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Born. Several years while growing up. Several years as an adult. Usually lived fairly close when not actually living in the state.
I would rather pay high taxes, mooch off a system, or live in a van over living in Arkansas for retirement.
Although some will take it as such, that is not meant to be an insult to those who choose Arkansas as a place to live. It's just how I feel personally.
I know and have met many people are the same way which is why I don't have a tendency to skip over certain issues when talking about Arkansas.
I'm glad people like it.
Even I can see how it would be an improvement over Illinois, Texas, or California in many ways, but..
Do you live in AR now?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 13,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
2 weeks, OP hasn't bothered to respond. Don't think he really cares what we think.
Sorry been busy with the move and all. I appreciate the info everyone has offered up. We will be in Conway by the beginning of next week. I am looking forward to the change from the hustle and bustle of Southern California.

Old 06-05-2018, 10:57 AM

2,371 posts, read 1,634,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromcalifornia View Post
Sorry been busy with the move and all. I appreciate the info everyone has offered up. We will be in Conway by the beginning of next week. I am looking forward to the change from the hustle and bustle of Southern California.
Congrats on the move and wow, that was fast. It wasn't but a month ago you weren't sure what area to move to. I hope your move goes smoothly and you and your family arrive safe.

Old 06-06-2018, 01:09 PM

12 posts, read 13,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollynla View Post
Congrats on the move and wow, that was fast. It wasn't but a month ago you weren't sure what area to move to. I hope your move goes smoothly and you and your family arrive safe.
Well we originally planned to move summer 2019 but some circumstances changed and we bumped it up to this summer. I have a few job interviews already so I'm feeling pretty good. We decided Conway due to having a family support system already in place but my 2 year goal is the Bentonville area. Thank you to everyone for the info and well wishes.

Old 06-06-2018, 03:03 PM

16,633 posts, read 4,617,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Rent a cabin at Petit Jean State Park and explore the mountaintop park (pronounced "Petty Gene"). Watch the sun go down over Cedar Creek Canyon from the natural stone ledges behind the breezeway at Mather Lodge. Have breakfast at the nearby Mather Lodge and get Petit Jean bacon. Play on the turtle rocks.

Check out the Toad Suck Festival, named for the historic Arkansas River ferry near Conway.

Go on a float trip.

Visit Blanchard Springs Caverns and see a traditional music performance at the nearby state park at Mountain Home.

Visit the Clinton Presidential Library.

Dig for quartz crystals at the mines near Hot Springs or Mt. Ida.

Visit a bathhouse in Hot Springs, and get the full treatment.

Dig for diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro.

Enjoy home cookin' at the Old Sawmill Restaurant in Forrest City, and explore Crawley's Ridge later. You can find similar treats at the Home Plate Restaurant, next to the baseball field in Jessieville (near the crystal mines, north of Hot Springs on Scenic Seven).

Check out the world's largest watermelons, from Hope, Arkansas.

Great barbecue can be found all over.

Visit the A Q Chicken House in Springdale (near Fayetteville). It's an institution - been there since the 1947 and still going strong.

Hike in the Ouachita and Ozark National Forests.

Visit the wineries near Altus, Little Italy, and Tontitown. Most host festivals with an international flair.

Drive up or down Scenic (highway) Seven. Pack a picnic lunch.

Visit Mt. Magazine and check out the luxurious lodge on top. Don't miss the visitor center, located separately.

Visit the historic fort at Fort Smith, rich in pioneer and Civil War history.

Drive the Talimena Drive over to Oklahoma and check out the Queen Wilhelmina Inn in the eponymous state park.

Climb Pinnacle (mountain) just outside of Little Rock.

Check out the concerts and festivals on the River Walk in downtown Little Rock.

Buy some Razorback gear so you'll be in style next fall.

Enjoy proximity to your family!

I would add...

Take in the views from the observation deck at the Hot Springs Mountain Tower.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:28 PM

883 posts, read 726,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromcalifornia View Post
Well we originally planned to move summer 2019 but some circumstances changed and we bumped it up to this summer. I have a few job interviews already so I'm feeling pretty good. We decided Conway due to having a family support system already in place but my 2 year goal is the Bentonville area. Thank you to everyone for the info and well wishes.

i don't think you will be disappointed in conway at all. i have several friends and some family that have moved to conway and they all love it. i get almost weekly reports from these friends and family about something new. honestly, i don't think you will want to leave.

conway offers a great quality of life and is close enough to little rock, to fill in any gaps you might miss.

welcome to arkansas!

Old 07-01-2018, 10:52 PM

230 posts, read 120,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm glad people like it.
Sorry but would you be able to elaborate on what you are specifically referring to in Arkansas that you dislike? Many people are retiring there and I am interested in knowing more myself the pros and cons. Thanks much.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:58 PM

1,195 posts, read 909,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenwings View Post
Sorry but would you be able to elaborate on what you are specifically referring to in Arkansas that you dislike? Many people are retiring there and I am interested in knowing more myself the pros and cons. Thanks much.
Could be the ole if you fail to plan then you plan to fail scenario.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:06 PM
sub

2,119 posts, read 906,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Could be the ole if you fail to plan then you plan to fail scenario.
If you're refering to me, I did say I was born and raised in Arkansas. Didn't have much say about that.
As a young adult, most of my planning invloved planning my way out, which worked quite well.
Currently, we're getting the house ready to sell and squaring things away for another move back from whence we last came, which might be a more long term arrangement since we have school-aged children. The reasons we're even down here at all has to do with personal issues that I will not go into on an internet forum.

As for why I don't have as favorable of a view of it, I guess I look at Arkansas through a very different lense than someone who likes it a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or