U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 08:06 PM

1,195 posts, read 954,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
If you're refering to me, I did say I was born and raised in Arkansas. Didn't have much say about that.
As a young adult, most of my planning invloved planning my way out, which worked quite well.
Currently, we're getting the house ready to sell and squaring things away for another move back from whence we last came, which might be a more long term arrangement since we have school-aged children. The reasons we're even down here at all has to do with personal issues that I will not go into on an internet forum.

As for why I don't have as favorable of a view of it, I guess I look at Arkansas through a very different lense than someone who likes it a lot.
Then why do you have to keep putting your unfavorable view in these threads. Everybody knows someone who didn't for whatever reason like living in a certain area.To go around displaying a bad attitude helps no one unless you somehow feel like you are getting revenge against the state of Arkansas.

Maybe you never succeeded financially the way you had hoped. Maybe you had legal troubles that put a bad spin on living here. I get it, but please lay off the attitude especially when you haven't given any reason that Arkansas is such a bad place to live.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 09:36 PM
sub

2,768 posts, read 1,198,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Then why do you have to keep putting your unfavorable view in these threads. Everybody knows someone who didn't for whatever reason like living in a certain area.To go around displaying a bad attitude helps no one unless you somehow feel like you are getting revenge against the state of Arkansas.

Maybe you never succeeded financially the way you had hoped. Maybe you had legal troubles that put a bad spin on living here. I get it, but please lay off the attitude especially when you haven't given any reason that Arkansas is such a bad place to live.
So it is permissible for people to trash talk the states they are moving from, but unfavorable opinions about Arkansas are not to be vocalized.
Duly noted.
I have given reasons as to why I'd caution any move to Arkansas numerous times elsewhere, so not going into detail on every post is me being gracious and trying not to be overly negative. I'm not going to participate in the love fest either.
The last response was just that: a response. I didn't instigate the matter.

Old 07-03-2018, 05:35 AM

77,813 posts, read 91,565,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
So it is permissible for people to trash talk the states they are moving from, but unfavorable opinions about Arkansas are not to be vocalized.
Duly noted.
I have given reasons as to why I'd caution any move to Arkansas numerous times elsewhere, so not going into detail on every post is me being gracious and trying not to be overly negative. I'm not going to participate in the love fest either.
The last response was just that: a response. I didn't instigate the matter.
I don't like to hear negatives when it is so overdone and I think most of us feel this way. How often have you had a single positive thing to say about AR? Many of us have lived places that did no suit us. We lived for a year in a town in No CA that was a disaster for us, but there were a lot of positive things to say about the area. I didn't carry on and on about how horrible it was. The same with living in NM. it wasn't a good fit for us, but that doesn't mean I go on the NM forum and knock it all the time. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand. It is almost like your resentment is so strong for whatever reason that you will do anything to turn people off to AR. And no, it isn't a perfect place. Even us cheer leaders know there are problems. We just prefer to look at the positives while working on trying to help correct the negatives.

Old 07-03-2018, 06:45 AM
sub

2,768 posts, read 1,198,620 times
Sometimes I'm negative. Sometimes I'm just matter-of-fact which you guys interpret as negative.
Someone could ask "what's the weather like?", and I could say "it is humid" and you people would jump on me for being negative over that.
I've probably done more to defend the "rest" of Arkansas and acknowledge it really does exist as a viable option (particularly the east and south which comprises the majority of the state) on here than average NWA boosters who often slyly try to steer people away from it and yet are never accused of going negative even though it's no better than the things I'm often being accused of.

Old 07-03-2018, 07:27 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,979,745 times
Folks...it's a public forum, we are all free to post anything that is within the guidelines as set out by City-Data. However, we are also free to overlook those posts that we disagree with. If we choose to engage in back and forth dialog, then we should also choose to do so without attacking the person with the opposite opinion. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. What differentiates opinion from fact is the inclusion of supporting data.

As someone to moved to and from AR, positive as well as negative information would have been useful in my decision process....but that was prior to the internet. So, lets allow the discussion continue, without finger pointing, and allow potential new residents to sort out the information/opinions given and allow them make an informed decision.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-03-2018, 10:14 AM

1,195 posts, read 954,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Folks...it's a public forum, we are all free to post anything that is within the guidelines as set out by City-Data. However, we are also free to overlook those posts that we disagree with. If we choose to engage in back and forth dialog, then we should also choose to do so without attacking the person with the opposite opinion. Opinions are like noses, everyone has one. What differentiates opinion from fact is the inclusion of supporting data.

As someone to moved to and from AR, positive as well as negative information would have been useful in my decision process....but that was prior to the internet. So, lets allow the discussion continue, without finger pointing, and allow potential new residents to sort out the information/opinions given and allow them make an informed decision.

Regards
Gemstone1
Yes, but it is not helpful when a poster says things like OMG I can't wait to get out or I would never move there without offering as to the reason why.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:06 PM

"Yes, but it is not helpful when a poster says things like OMG I can't wait to get out or I would never move there without offering as to the reason why"....I agree, not a piece of useful information without an explanation attached.

Regarding my post above....some comments I've received from others:

"i totally agree." anonymous

"good advise but easier said than done when it is one person always disagreeing with most of the rest of us. signed

Then there is this brave soul: "Don't wag your finger at others, shutup". anonymous...of course.

We can get more accomplished being courteous to others.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-03-2018, 02:05 PM

2,501 posts, read 1,749,372 times
Everyone has a right to have their own opinion, but it seems strange that someone who hates Arkansas so much visits the forum regularly just to tell others how awful it is, and usually gives no real specifics as to why. If there are 30 great things and 2 negatives, we can always count on sub to only mention the negative. I'm glad to hear sub is finally moving out of the state so he can finally find happiness elsewhere. No reason to suffer here any longer. It's like having a forum version of Debbie Downer from SNL. Womp womp.

Last edited by Hollynla; 07-03-2018 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-03-2018, 06:20 PM

"Everyone has a right to have their own opinion"...exactly. At the end of the day, does it matter one iota what any of our opinions are ?

Now if someone is presenting an opinion, disguised as a fact, with no data to back up the claim, then they should be politely called out on it, not by condemning them or belittling them but by presenting opposing facts. It is always up to the reader to sort out fact from fiction about subjects discussed on city-data.

It's important to remember why we come to city-data, we aren't solving world hunger here. I came here originally to search for information on living in various cities, I stayed because I like to share information and learn from others. My spouse and I were traveling the country...for me there was no better source of information than from residents who lived in a particular city. We, like others have lived in many states/cities, and often visit those forums and participate if I have something to share....but I rarely share just an opinion. After all, what is an opinion ?

o·pin·ion
əˈpinyən/Submit
noun
a view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 07-03-2018, 06:55 PM

11,839 posts, read 9,756,318 times
I agree that it would be helpful to expand upon whatever it is that has contributed to so much negativity. Not necessary to go into great detail, but just something general like "the heat and humidity adversely affected our health", or, "Too countrified where we lived" or "Not enough exotic/foreign food" or "Personal reasons"...well, you get the idea.

I think everyone realizes and accepts that Arkansas is not equally loved by all who frequently post here, and that's okay. I don't like okra - my mother loved it. So what??

As it is - it's puzzling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area