Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2020, 10:15 AM

1,948 posts, read 1,483,139 times

Advertisements

What's not been addressed is your two autistic and one handicapped children.

It's doubtful that Arkansas rural counties would have the educational resources that you require. You might want to talk to the school office of the cities you're considering moving to and see if they have any knowledge of where might have the best resources you're in need of.

Maybe a community just outside of Little Rock would be better for your family. I do know that Little Rock's children's hospital is a premier facility anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2020, 01:26 PM

3,810 posts, read 6,393,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman1 View Post
Maybe a community just outside of Little Rock would be better for your family.
Isn’t Benton and Saline County just outside of Little Rock?

Old 06-06-2020, 01:41 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,669,791 times
Yes, Benton and Bryant are suburbs directly adjacent to Little Rock on the southwest side.
Saline County is part of the metro area.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:10 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,803,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyryztoll View Post
Isn’t Benton and Saline County just outside of Little Rock?
Yes. I-30 connects the two, but it's not especially speedy, largely because of service road exits and entrances which make the right lane dangerous to use if you aren't planning to exit the Interstate. It was originally a fairly attractive drive, but over development without many regulations has led to a lot of billboards and cheap, ugly commercial buildings lining the road. But it will certainly take you from LR to Benton and back.

The little two-lane state road between HSV and Benton is gorgeous - rural, pretty little houses, lots of wildflowers and woods and meadows, much as I remember my many childhood visits to Arkansas (I have very deep family roots there plus a good many cousins, still). Scenic Seven (state highway) connects with this road and contains areas of outstanding beauty, as it runs north through the Ouachita National Forest and the Ouachita Mountains. It's also a good back way up to Petit Jean State Park, if you start from Benton or HSV.

Arkansas is very hot and humid in the summer. Springs and falls are wonderful, and winter is tolerable most years (ice storms and occasional sticking snow are not strangers to Arkansas). Thankfully, there are many lakes, mountains (notably mountaintop Petit Jean State Park, pro. Petty Gene, plus Mt. Magazine State Park, the highest peak in Arkansas) , and caves that are well-worth visiting anytime, but which can help visitors cool off nicely during the hot summers. Caves may be closed at present, of course, but once they reopen, check them out. Blanchard Springs Caverns, run by the National Forest Service and located in the Ozark National Forest, is spectacular, though half a day's drive away from LR, in north central AR. Some of it is handicap-accessible.

I can't comment too much on the quality of the schools - HSV is still something of a retirement community, so I would expect most local resources to be spent differently. I have cousins who are products of the Benton public schools (many years apart) and neither seems to have received an inferior education - both finished college and have done well professionally. I would expect the LR schools to offer better special education than the more rural or smaller towns, as they serve a larger area. I also have cousins who attended the LR public schools, but that was long ago. My late mother, aunts, and uncles were all teachers in Arkansas at one time. All were college graduates and several had graduate degrees.

Of course, right now, all schooling is problematic as educators struggle with how to safely educate children...I predict a huge increase in homeschooling, even after public schools reopen.

Good luck with your plans. If you can, check out the LR area asap - it will just get hotter until mid-September or later - and plan a return trip in late October or early November, when the leaves turn and the temperatures drop to more comfortable levels. I was in LR in mid-October last fall, and could still wear summer attire, but the temperatures were very pleasant.

Old 06-06-2020, 05:03 PM

Thanks, Craig. We’ve actually been to Little Rock several times, just haven’t checked out the Benton area up close yet. As for when to visit we’re not afraid of it being hot. It’s summertime in the south.....if ya can’t take it why even bother, right?

Old 06-07-2020, 08:11 PM

Oh, yeah, I remember playing outside in my grandparents' shady yard in Conway in August. Playing outside briefly, that is - 105 was just too hot even for a nine or ten year old, though swinging would create a bit of breeze.

Cold Grapette over ice helped. So did my grandfather's homegrown cantaloupes. But it was just plain old hot!

Old 06-08-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Oh, yeah, I remember playing outside in my grandparents' shady yard in Conway in August. Playing outside briefly, that is - 105 was just too hot even for a nine or ten year old, though swinging would create a bit of breeze.

Cold Grapette over ice helped. So did my grandfather's homegrown cantaloupes. But it was just plain old hot!
Did you know the all time record high temp for Conway is 115 degrees?

For the entire state the record is 120, which occurred in Ozark back in 1936.

Those are incredible readings!

Old 06-08-2020, 01:22 PM

Whew! It would take a LOT of Grapette on ice to cope with those temps! What are the years for those records? It was 105 in Conway during early to mid August of 1957, as I recall...mighty hot, and when you factor in the humidity - awful!

On the other hand, I remember stepping outside barefoot on Christmas Day in Conway, just to say I did it. My shoes and socks went right back on as soon as I went back in the house. I also experienced Christmas snow and ice storms in Little Rock, many years later (mid-1970s).Not to mention Fayetteville, around the same time - one Christmas, my parents, aunts and one uncle had a harrowing trip down the old road, trying to (unsuccessfully) outrun an ice storm. Not a fun trip, as the car got into a minor accident and my father sprained his wrist when he got out to inspect the damage and slipped and fell.

I was also in LR in March one year when a tornado passed overhead. I ran down to my aunt and uncle's basement but all my elders poo-pooed it and stayed put in the living room. I still think I took the wiser course, and am thankful the storm didn't touch down.

But - ordinarily, Arkansas weather is tolerable, just occasionally given to extremes. Spring and fall remain the best seasons.

Old 06-08-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
What are the years for those records?
Conway got to 115 on July 13, 1954.

Ozark set the state record high of 120 on August 10, 1936.

Couldn't find the record high for Benton, but based on the other records in that region it was likely between 110 and 115.

Just for kicks the record low in Arkansas is -29 at Gravette on February 13, 1905. The coldest temp I've actually stood outside in over the 3 years we've been up here in MN was -27, so it's hard for me to imagine that for even one moment it was colder than that anywhere in Arkansas.....but it was!

Old 06-08-2020, 07:41 PM

Arkansas weather may not always be comfortable, but it's seldom boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area