U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 6,339 times
Default advice on moving to little rock

We currently live in fort worth texas and my husband has a job interview in maumelle next week. If he gets this job we are going to move to little rock. We have a 5 year old that will be starting kindergarten this year. Good elementary schools are our top priority with picking a house. We have heard stay north and west, but don't know anything about the area. If I could get some advice on neighborhoods that would be awesome. Also I have seen houses for sale in Otter Creek that are really cute and good deals, but is it really as good of a neighborhood as it seems? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am a labor and delivery nurse and any advice on best hospitals to work for would be great too.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 03:11 PM

5,982 posts, read 10,789,047 times
Otter Creek itself is a great area, but south and east of there is kind of dicey. If your husband is going to work in Maumelle, why not consider there? Great schools and a wonderful atmosphere. Finding a great elementary that isn't private is kind of a trick. There are a few, but they are far between. The LRSD leaves much to be desired at this point in time. If you're stuck on Otter Creek, there is an elementary school right there in the neighborhood. For middle school go private. No other way to do it. The commute from OC would not be too bad to Maumelle since you basically would be traveling against traffic once you get north of the 430/630 interchange.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,187,317 times
Yeah, Maumelle would be your best bet. Pure suburbia and the areas surrounding it are much safer.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,339 times
Default after school

what do people do with thier kids afterschool there?

Old 06-22-2008, 08:41 PM

308 posts, read 1,074,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogrn View Post
what do people do with thier kids afterschool there?
There are a number of after school programs available that some people opt to use. Some are (or were??) available through the community center (gymnastics, taekwondo), whereas the majority of them are through daycares that accept students for after school only (and provide you with the option to use them during times that the kiddos are out-of-school).

Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM

2,372 posts, read 5,076,684 times
I'd totally recommend Maumelle as well. Both elementaries serving the city are excellent. If you live on the norther or eastern side of town, your child would go to Pine Forest right in Maumelle which I've heard is very good. If you live on south or west sides of town you child would go to Crystal Hill Magnet which is actually in NLR. It's brand new and top notch. Maumelle has everything you could need at your fingertips with the non-essentials just a short hop away in LR proper.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:40 AM

197 posts, read 418,198 times
As far as hospitals go, wow, take your pick. I-630 is probably known as the hospital interstate. Arkansas Children's Hospital, St. Vincents, Baptist, UAMS Medical Center...probably a couple of others. I've heard good things about Baptist, and if I were in a medically related career, I could think of nothing more I'd rather do than work at ACH.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:57 AM

5,982 posts, read 10,789,047 times
And Arkansas Heart Hospital, which is supposed to be fabulous! They are accredited, with an ER if you do emergent care. On the north side of the river there is Baptist Springhill Memorial, and the V. A. system is on both sides...lots of places to choose from.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,395 times
i'm the other half of hogrn, ha ha.... What about the areas towards chanel pkwy? it has been at least ten years since i've spent substantial time in the little rock area. I also have a few questions about the housing market in that area as well? It seems that maumelle, and out west toward chanel that the houses are a little more pricy compared to how bad the housing market is doing. anyone got any ideas?

Old 06-23-2008, 02:18 PM

1,703 posts, read 4,097,070 times
On an unrelated note, I heard last week that Southwest Regional is closing up shop. Anybody got any news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area