Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 07:14 PM

8 posts, read 29,181 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering moving to either Conway or Sherwood Arkansas, we currently live in the bootheel of Missouri and want to move somewhere with more opprotunity for jobs and for further education. We are pretty much entry level workers, so we are looking for renting an apartment around the 400 dollar a month range. Good neighborhood, pretty conservative town. Any one know anything about these towns? Good or bad would be wonderful! Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:38 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,263,482 times
Kalli, go to the main Arkansas page and there is a block called "search this forum" - click that and type Conway or Sherwood into the box and hit enter. You will come up with a gazillion threads on anything and everything, and many of them will be very recent threads. Take a look through those and then ask away on more specific questions you may have.

I will make one comment - if you are moving to central Arkansas for educational opportunity, Conway is probably your best bet. If you are moving for work it is TIGHT. I surely wouldn't make the move without having a job firmly in place. What kind of occupation are you interested in?

Are you wanting to live in a complex or like in a duplex in a neighborhood? I see some things in your budget by googling Conway Arkansas apartments but I have no personal knowledge and will leave that for someone else.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:32 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,312,184 times
I thought you wanted to move to Martin, TN?

Oh, well. If you're looking at Conway, here's a guarantee: You are not going to find anything decent for $400 per month. You can live in Perryville for $400 a month and commute to Conway. However, as Sam wrote, I would not come to Central Arkansas right now without having a job already lined up.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:41 AM

24 posts, read 110,255 times
There are more entry level jobs in Little Rock/North Little Rock than there are in Conway. Conway is a fairly small city while Little Rock/North Little Rock has many more businesses and is much larger.

As far as education.
The Little Rock Metro area has more educational opportunities than Conway.

In Conway you have (to my knowledge) 3 colleges -- UCA, Hendrix and some religious college that I can't remember the name of. There may be a junior college or two that I don't know of though.

In Little Rock you have UALR. You also have a bunch of junior colleges and places that offer specialty programs.

Don't limit your self to Sherwood. There are areas in Little Rock and North Little Rock that are just as nice, just as affordable and IMHO don't have such over-the-top aggressive cops.

If you could list the types of education you are looking for (full time, part time (days or nights) -- types of degree) we might be able to steer you towards one of the junior colleges or UCA or UALR.

Old 09-23-2008, 02:24 PM

8 posts, read 29,181 times
Yes, I know about Martin LOL, We are just looking in about a 4 hour radius of where we are from and places we've visited that we like. Conway was one of them but we only visited for a day and at that it was at a tournament! I've been to Little Rock once. Educational goals, unsure but probably something technical, my husband would like to teach college level. Thanks for the replies and advice so far(didn't know abou the city forum thing, sorry about that!)

Old 09-23-2008, 02:43 PM

As far as either technical education or teaching education, UALR is the best in the area. You can go up to Doctoral level in education (teaching) and up to Masters level in the computer fields.

UALR is a great value for the money and type of education you get. Just don't live anywhere near there.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:08 PM

350 posts, read 1,287,825 times
UCA in Conway was formerly the Arkansas State Teachers' College, it has great programs for that profession, better than UALR and even UA for that.

The job market in Conway and NLR/LR is no worse than anywhere else in the country right now, it's actually pretty good with the Hewlett-Packard, Welspun, and LM Glasfiber facilities coming on along with the Dassault expansion. There is a little iffyness with Alltel's purchase by Verizon but those job losses will be at the top end, not in your range.

Conway has great schools but if you are going to be commuting to LR/NLR Sherwood is a lot closer. The commute from Conway to LR at peak hours can be brutal.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aporkalypse View Post
Conway has great schools but if you are going to be commuting to LR/NLR Sherwood is a lot closer. The commute from Conway to LR at peak hours can be brutal.
Which is something you'll definitely want to consider with $4 gas. Some people who moved to Conway to "get out of the city" are now wanting to move back to LR because the fuel bills are killing them. If you drive an Explorer or a Tahoe, it will run you between $300-400/month.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:46 AM

28 posts, read 88,162 times
So now with gas prices being lower, what would you say about Conway and Sherwood. Is housing a little bit more expensive to rent in Sherwood? Also, how far is Conway from Arkansas Children's hospital. And how is traffic about 6:00 in the morning?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbieturner13 View Post
So now with gas prices being lower, what would you say about Conway and Sherwood. Is housing a little bit more expensive to rent in Sherwood? Also, how far is Conway from Arkansas Children's hospital. And how is traffic about 6:00 in the morning?
Don't count on gas staying this 'cheap'.

Housing prices in Sherwood are not that much different than housing prices in parts of WLR and NLR. Personally, I avoid Sherwood like the plague because of their police department. Housing is a bit more expensive in Sherwood than in Conway.

Commute: The commute from Conway to Children's is pretty harsh (if you are hitting the rush hours). Getting from WLR, NLR or Sherwood to Children's would be much easier/quicker than coming in from Conway. If you are coming in at 6am, then you will not hit any traffic (barring accidents).
Conway is about 30 minutes from Children's. Lets call it 35 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area