Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM

106 posts, read 470,729 times

Advertisements

I believe this thread sadly, has moved into slamming the people of Little Rock instead of something to do with Urban Hipster passing on a job opportunity that is 4.6 times the avg income in the state. Regardless of posting of a Mod that implies that everyone on this thread is stretching the truth (aka lying).

Old 03-07-2009, 08:31 AM

1,661 posts, read 5,206,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
Why are people so willing to insult their own home? I just don't get it. I'm not a homer by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, I'm not even from Arkansas. But I can't imagine being so down on the place I live. LR has some great things going for it. A person wouldn't know it by reading some of your posts, though. Fix it if there's something wrong with it. Don't whine on the internet. That makes you part of the problem, not part of the solution.
I agree, and will add that the attitude of, "*I* don't like it, therefore it should change" is certainly not unique to this board, or to Arkansas.

This is still a country where you can choose where you live, albeit you may have to shift your level of living to live there.

As with many here, I have lived in a number of places, and I don't have to look very far to find fans and detractors of any of them.

I know a lot of people in my area. I see them often. We talk, we eat together, we go to church together, and when needed, we help each other out.

Among them, I can't think of a single one that would take any amount of money, any promise of whatever, to give up the sunrises/sunsets, deer and turkey in the 'yard', fresh air, circling hawks, lack of traffic,and lack of pollution.

I totally understand the OP's, and a few others desires to have more "progress" and concrete over anything that's left.

I spent a great deal of time with concrete under my feet, in very urban environments, and spent a *great* deal of time walking the same streets that the OP rejoiced in.

When one has this mecca available to them, when one says, "Why can't it be more like <this city>", why would they want to come to someplace that they know is going to be nothing like it, and then tell us how lacking it is?

Why not just go to <this city>, and bask in the glow of the streetlights and neon signs?

I still have friends in Chicago and a number of other big cities. They tell me that there's no shortage of apartments, and that as long as you throw your quarters in the basket, the toll arm still goes up so you can come in and get back out.

There's still the glut of restaurants where nobody knows your name and are happy to take your money for *way* overpriced and pretentious food.

Hmmm....

Maybe it's just that wouldn't feel quite so...superior anymore.

It's kind of like walking around a parking lot, and when someone parks their Hyundai, that person can walk up and tell them, "Hah!! *I* drive a Mercedes".

I just don't understand that. Maybe it's just that 'schadenfreude' is much more rabid in *THE* city.

I have decided, however, to elevate my existence also.

The next time somebody calls and says, "Hey...!! Get your 'hillbilly' <backside> over here and help me BBQ a pig", I'm going to correct them.

No, hoss...I'm not a 'hillbilly'.

I'm now a 'woodsy hipster'.

Long as I don't have to wear a cammo 'zoot suit'.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:45 AM

163 posts, read 616,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post

Classic.
Once again an excellent post by Rog.

I was showing a New Yorker a part of NWA in recent days, and he could not get over the fact that he was in Arkansas. He was amazed that there were (cultural) things to do and wonderful places to see. You could see the incredulity in his face. I think Arkansas gets a lot of bad PR.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:08 PM

157 posts, read 517,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogMar View Post
I agree, and will add that the attitude of, "*I* don't like it, therefore it should change" is certainly not unique to this board, or to Arkansas.

This is still a country where you can choose where you live, albeit you may have to shift your level of living to live there.

As with many here, I have lived in a number of places, and I don't have to look very far to find fans and detractors of any of them.

I know a lot of people in my area. I see them often. We talk, we eat together, we go to church together, and when needed, we help each other out.

Among them, I can't think of a single one that would take any amount of money, any promise of whatever, to give up the sunrises/sunsets, deer and turkey in the 'yard', fresh air, circling hawks, lack of traffic,and lack of pollution.

I totally understand the OP's, and a few others desires to have more "progress" and concrete over anything that's left.

I spent a great deal of time with concrete under my feet, in very urban environments, and spent a *great* deal of time walking the same streets that the OP rejoiced in.

When one has this mecca available to them, when one says, "Why can't it be more like <this city>", why would they want to come to someplace that they know is going to be nothing like it, and then tell us how lacking it is?

Why not just go to <this city>, and bask in the glow of the streetlights and neon signs?

I still have friends in Chicago and a number of other big cities. They tell me that there's no shortage of apartments, and that as long as you throw your quarters in the basket, the toll arm still goes up so you can come in and get back out.

There's still the glut of restaurants where nobody knows your name and are happy to take your money for *way* overpriced and pretentious food.

Hmmm....

Maybe it's just that wouldn't feel quite so...superior anymore.

It's kind of like walking around a parking lot, and when someone parks their Hyundai, that person can walk up and tell them, "Hah!! *I* drive a Mercedes".

I just don't understand that. Maybe it's just that 'schadenfreude' is much more rabid in *THE* city.

I have decided, however, to elevate my existence also.

The next time somebody calls and says, "Hey...!! Get your 'hillbilly' <backside> over here and help me BBQ a pig", I'm going to correct them.

Long as I don't have to wear a cammo 'zoot suit'.
I think you're partially mischaracterizing those who critique.

I don't want a more pedestrian friendly, environmentally sustainable, culturally vibrant, educationally-developed Little Rock because it's the hip thing to do. I want it because there is some objective measure of progress, of what defines a community, of how that community relates to its environment, of how it defines a people, of how it inspires people, of how it cultivates local talent, of how it attracts non-local talent. It's not all relative, and it can't be simplified as hipsters simply wanting to "keep up with Joneses." A vibrant city--educationally, culturally, etc--is a city with ideas. There is truth in merit.

I hardly think more neon signs or concrete qualifies for a great city--that's a straw man.

In other settings with different people, I'll take the route of promoting the state. In a setting such as this, I'll tend to play a medium role, as there are too many with bloated senses of self and the "if-you-don't-like-then-leave" attitude. (I'm not speaking specifically of RogMar or Strum, just my general perception of this forum.)

Old 03-07-2009, 04:38 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
There is good and bad to every place. I have been to Arkansas several times and would definitely take the very good job offer in Little Rock if offered, but then again I come from a small town near a city of 150,000 people and think that Little Rock is a good-sized city. I get along well with the vast majority of people who were from Arkansas at conferences and when visiting in Arkansas: most are good-natured. I would be more concerned with how the people are as opposed to whether the city has enough yuppie areas. Ammenities are nice, but do not make the area and sometimes one has to make do with what is there. Every city, including Little Rock and the relatively clean and safe cities such as Sioux Falls and Fargo, have their good and bad areas and good and bad attitributes. One attribute that I find bad about my area is it is more conservative than my liking (of more centrist/moderate views), but l am accepting of other viewpoints and live with the fact that most people have different ideas. With the urban hipster, Arkansas may be rather conservative to his liking, but he needs to be accepting of those viewpoints while maintaining his own. Coming with an open mind to a place such as Little Rock may open opportunities in many ways (a good foot in the door careerwise, find a future wife, find a good place to settle down, good times). One has to give it try and if it does not work out, then move on to somewhere else. If it works out, then stay for awhile or a lifetime. We live and learn and grow through our experiences.

Last edited by Chris19; 03-07-2009 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 04:43 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
The person who wrote about Krispy Kreme lives in Mountain Home, not Little Rock. Thus, it says absolutely nothing about Little Rock. It might say something about Mountain Home. Most definitely, it says something about the poster -- mainly that he/she likes Krispy Kreme.

If you lived in Mountain Home, you might get excited about Krispy Kreme, too.

BTW, Krispy Kreme has a cult-like following all over the country. Their openings in cities much larger than Little Rock have drawn massive crowds.

Why are people so willing to insult their own home? I just don't get it. I'm not a homer by any stretch of the imagination. Heck, I'm not even from Arkansas. But I can't imagine being so down on the place I live. LR has some great things going for it. A person wouldn't know it by reading some of your posts, though. Fix it if there's something wrong with it. Don't whine on the internet. That makes you part of the problem, not part of the solution.

ETA -- I just did a quick Google image search and found photos of masses of people at Krispy Kreme openings in Atlanta, Boston, Seattle, and Sydney. What does that say about those places? The Boston location closed a couple of years ago, and the local newspapers lamented its closing.
The Krispy Kreme craze was before you found them in every gas station and hotel lobby across the country. Something that was once a novelty kind of loses its luster when its that saturated into our lives. The same thing is happening to Starbucks.

And also, I have a love/hate relationship with Little Rock. The town does have a ton of potential and has some great things going for it, but that doesn't mean I can just ignore its shortcomings. I generally have a sunnier attitude about this place in the warmer months anyways, when there is a lot more to do. Because this place lacks real urban culture (and its not a lie or a stretch of the truth to say that), it can get pretty drab during the winter months.

Last edited by bchris02; 03-07-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM

99 posts, read 350,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19 View Post
One attribute that I find bad about my area is it is more conservative than my liking (of more centrist/moderate views), but l am accepting of other viewpoints and live with the fact that most people have different ideas. With the urban hipster, Arkansas may be rather conservative to his liking, but he needs to be accepting of those viewpoints while maintaining his own. Coming with an open mind to a place such as Little Rock may open opportunities in many ways (a good foot in the door careerwise, find a future wife, find a good place to settle down, good times). One has to give it try and if it does not work out, then move on to somewhere else. If it works out, then stay for awhile or a lifetime. We live and learn and grow through our experiences.
I like your open-minded and balanced approach!

Old 03-08-2009, 08:42 AM

106 posts, read 470,729 times
Quote:
Because this place lacks real urban culture (and its not a lie or a stretch of the truth to say that), it can get pretty drab during the winter months.
I would be interested in a review on Little Rock and it's metro area during the Summer rather than Winter. Arkansas isn't known for being a Winter haven other than the hunting/fishing/outdoors arena. Quite frankly, I do not believe the OP would have even considered that as part of the thread.

Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post

I don't want a more pedestrian friendly, environmentally sustainable, culturally vibrant, educationally-developed Little Rock because it's the hip thing to do. I want it because there is some objective measure of progress, of what defines a community, of how that community relates to its environment, of how it defines a people, of how it inspires people, of how it cultivates local talent, of how it attracts non-local talent. It's not all relative, and it can't be simplified as hipsters simply wanting to "keep up with Joneses." A vibrant city--educationally, culturally, etc--is a city with ideas. There is truth in merit.

I hardly think more neon signs or concrete qualifies for a great city--that's a straw man.

In other settings with different people, I'll take the route of promoting the state. In a setting such as this, I'll tend to play a medium role, as there are too many with bloated senses of self and the "if-you-don't-like-then-leave" attitude. (I'm not speaking specifically of RogMar or Strum, just my general perception of this forum.)

Old 03-08-2009, 08:55 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:

I agree. Little Rock needs to become more modernized, more cultural, more pedestrian friendly, etc, but it also needs to do that in its own way instead of what everybody else has been doing for decades. Great cities have qualities that set them apart from other cities. Little Rock has made some great strides over the past decade, but there still isn't anything here that you can't find in any other small Southern city. In fact, its just the opposite, there are still things you would expect in a city this size with this kind of regional importance that are not here. Little Rock has the potential and can get there, but it will take some initiative in the community. Look at OKC as an example of how to turn a city around. Little Rock has only about a quarter the population OKC has so its unlikely we could accomplish what they have in the near future, but that is the model Little Rock needs to follow in order to increase the quality of life and improve our perception issues.

Quote:
Exactly, look at Vegas as a prime example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area