U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM

511 posts, read 772,015 times

Advertisements

This is an excellent website that gives a detailed look at Little Rock:

Little Rock travel guide - Wikitravel

I can't say I got warm fuzzies when I read this:

"The downtown area around the major hotels and in the River Market area is reasonably safe, but if you wander too far off the beaten track you may quickly find yourself in questionable surroundings. There have been robberies of pedestrians in parking areas around the River Market, although most have not been reported as random. Be sure to take a map if you're exploring the Quapaw Quarter, and don't walk around here after dark. Use the same precautions you would in any urban area. "

I guess I won't be visiting the River Market after all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 09:30 PM

690 posts, read 2,042,109 times
I've been to the Rivermarket a few times, and didn't have any problems. Of course, I was always with someone and didn't stay out really late. And it's probably been two years since I've gone downtown...it's not really my thing.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:59 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,255,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post

Use the same precautions you would in any urban area. "

Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 AM

929 posts, read 2,589,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I agree. Use the same precautions. Don't be alone. And in my case, a 9mm handgun that I hope I never had to use.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,076,095 times
I can't think of a city of 180,000 or more in the US that doesn't have a shady area near the urban core.

That's just the way the world works, txdave.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:35 AM

77,786 posts, read 99,087,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
This is an excellent website that gives a detailed look at Little Rock:

Little Rock travel guide - Wikitravel

I can't say I got warm fuzzies when I read this:

"The downtown area around the major hotels and in the River Market area is reasonably safe, but if you wander too far off the beaten track you may quickly find yourself in questionable surroundings. There have been robberies of pedestrians in parking areas around the River Market, although most have not been reported as random. Be sure to take a map if you're exploring the Quapaw Quarter, and don't walk around here after dark. Use the same precautions you would in any urban area. "

I guess I won't be visiting the River Market after all.
Do you do anything other than see how many negatives you can find about AR, especially the Little Rock area???

What makes you think this is different from any other mid sized or large urban city?

Nita

Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 AM

772 posts, read 4,262,034 times
Get real! Little Rock is just like any other city its size. Population-wise, in the city itself, Shreveport is about the same size (200,000) and its bad areas are even closer to the action. You cross the levee from Louisiana Boardwalk and you will likely be robbed, or worse. I have been to Little Rock so many times because it's cheaper to fly out of there than Shreveport's ripoff airport, and easier to maneuver than Dallas. Have been to the River Market and loved it, never once felt unsafe. I have walked more in downtown Little Rock than I have in my own downtown because it feels safer there.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM

99 posts, read 335,187 times
I am beginning to think the OP works for another state's board of tourism

Old 03-10-2009, 12:24 PM

6,487 posts, read 8,281,943 times
I worked at the corner of Markham & Scott for 16 years (long before the River Market was there and for several years after it opened). This is two blocks from the River Market. I never had any problems. It is a nice area with lots of interesting people, shops, and restaurants. Of course, as with any urban area there can be crime, but I have seen much worse.

Old 03-10-2009, 01:43 PM

200 posts, read 654,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCmetroguy View Post
Get real! Little Rock is just like any other city its size. Population-wise, in the city itself, Shreveport is about the same size (200,000) and its bad areas are even closer to the action. You cross the levee from Louisiana Boardwalk and you will likely be robbed, or worse. I have been to Little Rock so many times because it's cheaper to fly out of there than Shreveport's ripoff airport, and easier to maneuver than Dallas. Have been to the River Market and loved it, never once felt unsafe. I have walked more in downtown Little Rock than I have in my own downtown because it feels safer there.
It's funny you mention Shreveport's Boardwalk. I visited there for the first time recently. Nice looking place. Anyway, we were walking around there on a Sunday morning ... lemme stress... a SUNDAY morning... around 10:30 AM. I was sitting on one of the benches waiting for the missus to finish up in one store. A younger couple was walking by, the guy with a ballcap on backwards. A bicycle cop happened to be riding by and stopped and told the guy he would have to turn his cap around or take it off, that the Boardwalk had a dress code. The couple looked stunned. And I must admit, I was pretty incredulous myself.

Anyway, back to the original topic. As others have stated, LR's downtown is no more or less dangerous than any other city's downtown. It does, however, pay to use a little common sense. Don't be walking down some dark, unlit streets late at night without your friends Mr Smith and Mr Wesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area