U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-01-2009, 09:07 PM

11 posts, read 37,144 times

Advertisements

Hi...I hope no one finds this offensive, but my husband has been offered a position in Little Rock and it am seriously nervous about moving there. We are a multiracial family (he's Caucasian, I'm Black, we have four adopted teen kids, two black, one white and one Vietnamese). We have lived in California, Colorado and Louisiana. So far, we've been very fortunate to live in diverse areas where the look of our family has been no big deal and the kids have done well in school. Would we be comfortable in Little Rock? Where would be a good place to live? I'm a nurse, so I can work anywhere and hubby is an engineer. Where are good schools? Will we have a hard time fitting in there? This will be the smallest city we've lived in, too. What about the arts scene? Two of our kids are actors and have done equity theater and tv commercials. They get LOTS of work in Louisiana, but I don't know what opportunities there would be there. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 08:50 AM

50,021 posts, read 42,368,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn1130 View Post
Hi...I hope no one finds this offensive, but my husband has been offered a position in Little Rock and it am seriously nervous about moving there. We are a multiracial family (he's Caucasian, I'm Black, we have four adopted teen kids, two black, one white and one Vietnamese). We have lived in California, Colorado and Louisiana. So far, we've been very fortunate to live in diverse areas where the look of our family has been no big deal and the kids have done well in school. Would we be comfortable in Little Rock? Where would be a good place to live? I'm a nurse, so I can work anywhere and hubby is an engineer. Where are good schools? Will we have a hard time fitting in there? This will be the smallest city we've lived in, too. What about the arts scene? Two of our kids are actors and have done equity theater and tv commercials. They get LOTS of work in Louisiana, but I don't know what opportunities there would be there. Any advice?
I certainly can't answer your question about work for the kids, but if you had no problems in Louisiana, I don't think you will have much trouble in Little Rock either...

Good luck

Nita

Old 04-02-2009, 09:11 AM

2,372 posts, read 5,184,453 times
Multiracial families are certainly not common in Little Rock but they are also not a terrible rarity. I fairly regularly see mixed race couples. I don't think that's a big deal to anyone. As per my norm, I would recommend checking out Maumelle. It's a fairly diverse community, a good solid middle to upper middle class town. Most everyone in Maumelle is well educated and the schools are some of the best in the area. Right now, your teens would go to Oak Grove High which doesn't have a stellar reputation but that's more because it's very old and possibly the smallest HS in the PCSSD. Maumelle High is under construction and is supposed to open for the 2011-12 school year and will be a state of the art facility.

I'm admittedly clueless about the performance art scene but the visual arts is stellar for a town of our size. I doubt there will be anywhere near the commercial opportunities here that your children have been getting but remember that much bigger towns like Memphis, Dallas, Nashville are not that far. Check out these websites for more:

Search the Arts Council database for arts organizations & Arkansas art galleries (http://www.arkansasarts.com/local_orgs/arts_orgs2.asp?region=C - broken link)
General Information - Arkansas Arts Center

If nothing else, you can probably find a contact who can give you more knowledgable info on that.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:23 PM

9,000 posts, read 8,946,014 times
I'd recommend North Little Rock.
I see lots of mixed raced families and I guess I'm part of one. My mom is black and my step-dad is white. He has a daughter who is of mixed race...no biggie.

I think when you go into the more rural areas...that's when problems start. As long as you aren't thinking of moving into Harrison or Cabot [two places that come to mind that aren't exactly the most hospitable when it comes to black people or multiracial families....] or VERY rural places (except Eureka Springs)...you should be fine.

I saw you mentioned the Arts Scene so that's why I recommended NLR. They have a great little arts scene in the Argenta area and downtown normally has some arts things. Just try to pick up an issue of Arkansas Times or visit their website: http://www.arktimes.com and they have a lot of art events listed in their magazine and/or website. We have the Community Theater as well as Arkansas Rep [just do a quick search on Yahoo and you can find a lot.] I see little ads for auditions in Arkansas Times.

NLR has good schools, IMO. I only attended middle school and high school in the district but I've known plenty of successful students who were in the NLR school district their whole lives. North Little Rock High has a GREAT theater department. Many of our shows were really great and we've had a lot of students get drama/art scholarships because of their performances. The teachers are so willing to help their students become successful and the theater crow is pretty close knit. You'd get to know a lot of the parents that are involved with the theater crowd. I wasn't a big part of it but I knew plenty of people in it theater crowd.
The high school has an IB program, which is more rigorous than AP.
If your kids are more into AP or you would like them to go that route, I would go with Central High School which is in the Little Rock school district.
If you have younger kids, I recommend Lakewood Elementary.
The same goes for middle school, Lakewood Middle School.
There is a middle school just for sixth graders and it's called Poplar Street.
There are two high schools in the district, an East and a west campus. East is for 9th and 10th, West is for 11th and 12th.

Every school pretty much has a teacher or two that isn't the best but I think as long as parents are involved, your children should be fine. I think too many parents these days expect the schools to teach everything and they just help with a few problems on the homework. [I'm not saying you are doing this.]

I really recommend North Little Rock. It's a great community and you're in close proximity to Little Rock. I would specifically recommend the Lakewood area. They would have homes that would be large enough for your family.

Sorry to write such a novel. Just shoot me a message if you have more specific questions or whatever. I hope you guys like central AR.

Old 04-02-2009, 05:23 PM

7,947 posts, read 9,503,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I'd recommend North Little Rock.
I see lots of mixed raced families and I guess I'm part of one. My mom is black and my step-dad is white. He has a daughter who is of mixed race...no biggie.

I think when you go into the more rural areas...that's when problems start. As long as you aren't thinking of moving into Harrison or Cabot [two places that come to mind that aren't exactly the most hospitable when it comes to black people or multiracial families....] or VERY rural places (except Eureka Springs)...you should be fine.

I saw you mentioned the Arts Scene so that's why I recommended NLR. They have a great little arts scene in the Argenta area and downtown normally has some arts things. Just try to pick up an issue of Arkansas Times or visit their website: http://www.arktimes.com and they have a lot of art events listed in their magazine and/or website. We have the Community Theater as well as Arkansas Rep [just do a quick search on Yahoo and you can find a lot.] I see little ads for auditions in Arkansas Times.

NLR has good schools, IMO. I only attended middle school and high school in the district but I've known plenty of successful students who were in the NLR school district their whole lives. North Little Rock High has a GREAT theater department. Many of our shows were really great and we've had a lot of students get drama/art scholarships because of their performances. The teachers are so willing to help their students become successful and the theater crow is pretty close knit. You'd get to know a lot of the parents that are involved with the theater crowd. I wasn't a big part of it but I knew plenty of people in it theater crowd.
The high school has an IB program, which is more rigorous than AP.
If your kids are more into AP or you would like them to go that route, I would go with Central High School which is in the Little Rock school district.
If you have younger kids, I recommend Lakewood Elementary.
The same goes for middle school, Lakewood Middle School.
There is a middle school just for sixth graders and it's called Poplar Street.
There are two high schools in the district, an East and a west campus. East is for 9th and 10th, West is for 11th and 12th.

Every school pretty much has a teacher or two that isn't the best but I think as long as parents are involved, your children should be fine. I think too many parents these days expect the schools to teach everything and they just help with a few problems on the homework. [I'm not saying you are doing this.]

I really recommend North Little Rock. It's a great community and you're in close proximity to Little Rock. I would specifically recommend the Lakewood area. They would have homes that would be large enough for your family.

Sorry to write such a novel. Just shoot me a message if you have more specific questions or whatever. I hope you guys like central AR.
Agree. You will probably find more of what you are looking for in North Little Rock than you will in Maumelle, Cabot, or Benton/Bryant. While Little Rock and North Little Rock are somwhat progressive, if only slightly, they are an anomaly in a state that is arguably the most backwards, conservative state in the nation. Most of Little Rock's popular suburbs fit into this mold.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:23 PM

838 posts, read 1,398,722 times
I can't imagine that you'd have any trouble either. There are plenty of biracial kids in my kid's schools and no one bats an eye. I would stay away from the small towns (Cabot, Saline County, etc.) as was mentioned. Lots of white flighters there.

Also, since your kids are into acting, you might consider Parkview. It's an arts/science magnet and he's in the Drama program and loves it. They also have Choir, Band, Orchestra, Dance, Visual Arts, and, um, Science. If your kids are younger, Booker and Mann are the arts elementary and middle school magnets, respectively.

Also, he's in a summer theatre program at the Arts Center that your kids might also enjoy. Plus the theatres that LTL08 mentioned. They won't find as much work around here as in the larger cities, of course, but they can still keep up with their acting!

Parkview High School: http://lrsdorg.nexpoint.net/secondary/parkview/parkview.html (broken link)

Summer Theatre Academy: About Us - Children's Theatre - Arkansas Arts Center

Old 04-03-2009, 12:01 AM

157 posts, read 333,608 times
I'm from a multiracial family (asian and white). You'll be fine. LR is a ton more cosmopolitan than you think.

And like another poster said, if you were fine in LA, you'll no doubt be fine in LR.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:40 AM

9 posts, read 9,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcn1130 View Post
YOu should have no problems, and if you do you can tell me and when I'm done with them they whish they were never born

Old 05-11-2009, 03:46 PM

61 posts, read 129,686 times
I would stay away from Benton/Bryant and Cabot and suburbs as already mentioned. Im moving from Bryant to Maumelle ASAP. Maumelle is kinda off to the side but still close enough to all the action without being in the middle of it if you dont want to be. Everything is brand new for the most part and on the come up.

Downtown Little Rock is where Im sure you guys will find plenty to do. There is the farmers market on Saturdays and lots of artsy stuff. Some hippies =) Fun to walk around and EAT!!!

Since you have teens maybe look into North little Rock High School which is in LakeWood Sub in North Little Rock. They are supposed to have a great AV Media program for those wanting to get into that and a great medical program for those wanting to get into the medical field. Also there is the Famous Central High School that still holds classes. Ive been by there the school is gorgeous and just something to see =)

Lakewood is really neat if you go there you must visit the Old Mill!!! Such a wonderful place. I hope you come and visit and be sure to visit those two schools. Let me know If I can be of more assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area