Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 08:14 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedqcumber View Post
So my boyfriend and I are thinking about moving to Little Rock area from the suburbs of Chicago but I'm not sure if it would be a good place for us. We're 20 and 25 years old. I'm taking online classes and plan on getting a degree in Business Administration so how are the jobs there? I heard in North Little Rock the main source of jobs comes from a Walmart? We like the idea of being in more of a country area but would also like to be in close driving distance to stores and restaurants if that's possible. A good nightlife isn't really a big deal to us because we're not really the type to go out to bars and clubs. So yeah can you suggest a place that would work for us? We'd like to visit and check it out but we have no idea where to start!
I forgot to mention this Web Site that may be worth checking out; www.jobsarkansas.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 05:19 PM

206 posts, read 439,928 times
If you're moving from Chicago, there is one thing you should keep in mind. The pay rates in the South are a lot less than in the North. The same goes for the Midwest and California(when they had jobs).

If you can live on less in the South, you shouldn't have a problem.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:11 PM

29 posts, read 59,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceChild View Post
If you're moving from Chicago, there is one thing you should keep in mind. The pay rates in the South are a lot less than in the North. The same goes for the Midwest and California(when they had jobs).

If you can live on less in the South, you shouldn't have a problem.
This is true, but the cost of living is usually less as well, therefore, unless you are switching positions, there is rarely a drop in quality of life.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:38 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akafish77 View Post
This is true, but the cost of living is usually less as well, therefore, unless you are switching positions, there is rarely a drop in quality of life.
Not completely true. It depends on where you are moving from/to. Dallas and Houston both have comparable cost of living to Little Rock but salaries are much higher. People generally have to lower their standard of living when moving to Little Rock from an urban area unless they just happen to land a killer position.

Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 AM

68 posts, read 239,772 times
I'm from Little Rock and I'm about to move. It's always been a little small to me, but if you're looking to move somewhere smaller, it's the biggest city in Arkansas, without being out in the middle of no where.

You really have to find the cool places by just exploring and such. Downtown by the River Market is becoming a really cool place to go and walk around. The Bill Clinton Museum is down there, as well as lots of little stores and restraunts, plus a big library.

There are definitly some parts that you want to stay away from because of the crime, but I don't think you should be to worried, being from Chicago.

Do you have any particular questions about Little Rock?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area