Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 40,374 times

Advertisements

Ok, my girlfriend and I are possibly moving to LR. I will have a job out there making ~$80k/yr in this economy, last year the position did $90k. She works for Capital One Auto Finance in Dallas, which is NOT in LR. She makes ~$35k/yr as a funding analyst. We are going to visit LR this weekend... curious where to live, where she can work, etc. So far I have only seen pictures of Conway... but I hear Sherwood is nice... We will be there for 1 day (this saturday) to look around and get a feel for what LR and surrounding cities have to offer. Our main concern is her being able to find a job out there when we do move which wont be for another 3 months or so... So here are my questions...

1. Where are the nice places to live that are within our income levels? I don't want to afford a $200k house... Im thinking in the $120 - $160k range perhaps. I'll be commuting to LR regardless... so it needs to be within driving distance! Also, I'd like to be close to a municipal airport (i own a plane).

2. Aside from just hitting the streets on her job search, are there any other suggestions?

3. Would also like to be within reasonable driving distance from a lake... we have a ski boat. Avg depth of Lake Conway is 6ft.... does that sound right? Seems kinda shallow for skiing!

Last edited by danielhv; 07-07-2009 at 11:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
Ok, my girlfriend and I are possibly moving to LR. I will have a job out there making ~$80k/yr in this economy, last year the position did $90k. She works for Capital One Auto Finance in Dallas, which is NOT in LR. She makes ~$35k/yr as a funding analyst. We are going to visit LR this weekend... curious where to live, where she can work, etc. So far I have only seen pictures of Conway... and not many at that. We will be there for 1 day (this saturday). Our main concern is her being able to find a job out there when we do move which wont be for another 3 months or so... So here are my questions...

1. Where are the nice places to live that are within our income levels? I don't want to afford a $200k house... Im thinking in the $120 - $160k range perhaps. I'll be commuting to LR regardless... so it needs to be within driving distance! Also, I'd like to be close to a municipal airport (i own a plane).

2. Aside from just hitting the streets on her job search, are there any other suggestions?

3. Would also like to be within reasonable driving distance from a lake... we have a ski boat. Avg depth of Lake Conway is 6ft.... does that sound right? Seems kinda shallow for skiing!
I don't know how deep Conway lake is but I am sure others will be able to give you some good suggestions. I think conway itself is supposed to be a really neat place to live. We would have looked there if we hadn't found NWA.

Nita

Old 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,116 times
There are PLENTY of lakes in the central Arkansas area for skiiing: Greers Ferry, DeGray, Ouachita, Hamilton, and Catherine all come to mind. However, Lake Conway is more of a fishing lake. Not good for water sports at all.

Conway and Sherwood are both nice and within easy commuting distance, with plenty of homes in your price range.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni-b View Post
There are PLENTY of lakes in the central Arkansas area for skiiing: Greers Ferry, DeGray, Ouachita, Hamilton, and Catherine all come to mind. However, Lake Conway is more of a fishing lake. Not good for water sports at all.

Conway and Sherwood are both nice and within easy commuting distance, with plenty of homes in your price range.
Sherwood is a much easier commute (20 minutes) than Conway (40 minutes).

Old 07-08-2009, 05:29 PM

3 posts, read 9,246 times
Hi Daniel

My fiance and I just moved to Little Rock from Texas last December so I've been in your shoes before! I was in Dallas and he was in Austin when we made the move. I was in corporate finance in Dallas, but couldn't find another finance job even close to the income level I was making so I decide to go into Real Estate.

1. There are several areas in the $120-$160 range. One of my favorite neighborhoods is Cherry Creek in West Little Rock - those houses range from about $150-$200K so maybe at the top of your range. There are a few areas in North Little Rock and close to Sherwood that are nice. Conway is inexpensive but there is a lot of traffic going into LR, so may not be worth it. Conway is also in a dry county...don't know if that is a concern for you. If you'd like more specific real estate help, feel free to direct message me.

2. As for your girlfriend I would recommend that she talk to Robert Half International. They do permanent and temporary placement and have a section that just focuses on finance jobs. They should be able to find her something at the salary level that she had in Dallas, or close.

3. Lakes are a little less convenient here than in TX...we were spoiled! We brought our ski boat up and keep it a few miles from Greer's Ferry Lake. It's about an hour and fifteen minute drive north from LR to Choctaw (where we put in). You can also put in on the other side of the lake at Heber Springs but that is a further drive. We haven't been yet, but there is also Lake Ouachita and Lake Hamilton to the SW of Little Rock. Not totally positive, but I think the drive is comparable if not a little longer.

Best of luck to you and your girlfriend!

Old 07-15-2009, 07:05 AM

3 posts, read 9,246 times
How was your visit this past Saturday? What did you think of Little Rock?

Old 07-18-2009, 02:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,081 times
Did you get the opportunity to check out Cabot? It is a bedroom community to Little Rock and is a nice town.

Old 07-22-2009, 02:16 PM

8 posts, read 40,374 times
Yes we checked out NLR, Conway, Maumelle, Cabot, Benton, Bryant, and Bauxite. Still not sure where we want to live though! =) Kinda confused.... house prices seemed kinda weird. seems like those in the $120 - $130k range are ~1350 sq ft and have a tiny yard, with no fence, and siding all over the house. Seems odd. Our house we're in now is 1700 sq ft, 4 years old, .20acre lot, brick on all 4 sides, and in Frisco of all places... and paid $125k... So I dunno what to think or expect now. When I heard cost of living was cheaper, I figured we'd be getting more bang for our buck on pretty much everything!

Last edited by danielhv; 07-22-2009 at 02:36 PM..

Old 07-22-2009, 02:31 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,942,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhv View Post
Yes we checked out NLR, Conway, Maumelle, Cabot, Benton, Bryant, and Bauxite. Still not sure where we want to live though! =) Kinda confused.... house prices seemed kinda weird. seems like those in the $120 - $130k range are ~1350 sq ft and have a tiny yard, with no fence, and siding all over the house. Seems odd. Our house we're in now is 1700 sq ft, 4 years old, .20acre lot, brick on all 4 sides, and in Frisco of all places... So I dunno what to think or expect now. When I heard cost of living was cheaper, I figured we'd be getting more bang for our buck on pretty much everything!
It is hard to believe that you got your current house for 120 to 130K in Dallas.

You can get a house like you described for less than that in Arkansas, but you will probably be living out in the sticks.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:00 PM

837 posts, read 2,248,116 times
Houses are pretty damn cheap in the DFW area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area