Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 08:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times

Advertisements

bchris, congratulations on your new job and new home. Hope you continue to enjoy Charlotte and all it has to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2009, 10:04 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
bchris, congratulations on your new job and new home. Hope you continue to enjoy Charlotte and all it has to offer.
What DC said.

Old 09-28-2009, 10:43 AM

529 posts, read 1,650,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
know what? Charlotte wasn't like it is today, 20 years ago.

Nita

So is he supposed to wait 20 years for Little Rock to catch up to what Charlotte is today? bchris hopefully found a little more of what he is looking for in Charlotte. Congrats on the new job and move. I would love to live in NC right now.

Old 09-28-2009, 11:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelw View Post

So is he supposed to wait 20 years for Little Rock to catch up to what Charlotte is today? bchris hopefully found a little more of what he is looking for in Charlotte. Congrats on the new job and move. I would love to live in NC right now.
no, I didn't say that, I was simply saying, maybe in 20 years Little Rock will be like Charlotte. This wasn't meant to be taken as a positive or negative, just a comment. I hope he did as well. No one should have to live somewhere that makes them unhappy. Too bad more people can't love what they have and still see rooms for improvement. That is the way I feel about most things. They are great, but rarely perfect.

Nita

Old 09-28-2009, 03:07 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,314,479 times
bchris --

Congratulations on the job and the move. Charlotte is a great city and a great example of what a backwoods, also-ran city (which it was a few decades ago) can do if the citizens, economic development community, and politicians work together. Today, imo, Charlotte is a world-class city. Alongside Atlanta, it defines the New South.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:18 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofarkansas View Post
After living in Little Rock for 9 years, I'm glad to be gone. There were some good things about the area: the physical beauty of the state, the low cost of living, the ease of getting around. But it's not a good place for a young professional, particularly if you are ambitious. I found the place to be impossibly mired in cronyism.
Too bad you didn't stick it out a while longer. Eventually you too could have become one of the cronies. Then you could have changed things. Instead of just whining about them.

Good luck!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
Too bad you didn't stick it out a while longer. Eventually you too could have become one of the cronies. Then you could have changed things. Instead of just whining about them.

Good luck!
Why wait around and try to change a failing, stuck in the past city when you can just move to one that offers what you are looking for in life? Yes, the cause may be noble but life is too short to do that. Besides, even if the good ole' boy network in Little Rock no longer was an issue, the city still has a deep image problem that will keep it from progressing for a long time. No corporation wants to relocate to a town that has the long-standing reputation for being ghetto, crime-ridden, and backwards thinking. That's not even considering the Arkansas stereotypes that will make most employees quit their jobs before they would consider packing up and moving to Little Rock. Little Rock needs to get the crime down and re-invent itself with a 'New South' mentality if things are ever to change.

Old 10-01-2009, 06:38 AM

776 posts, read 1,275,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Why wait around and try to change a failing, stuck in the past city when you can just move to one that offers what you are looking for in life? Yes, the cause may be noble but life is too short to do that. Besides, even if the good ole' boy network in Little Rock no longer was an issue, the city still has a deep image problem that will keep it from progressing for a long time. No corporation wants to relocate to a town that has the long-standing reputation for being ghetto, crime-ridden, and backwards thinking. That's not even considering the Arkansas stereotypes that will make most employees quit their jobs before they would consider packing up and moving to Little Rock. Little Rock needs to get the crime down and re-invent itself with a 'New South' mentality if things are ever to change.
Wow! Given your views, I guess moving away is best for you. You will leave behind the things you speak of. But I suspect you will eventually discover new problems and issues in any destination you choose.

You make even look back fondly at Little Rock someday. Good luck!

Old 10-13-2009, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofarkansas View Post
By the way, Nita, I read one of your other posts about not wanting Arkansas to become too progressive, similar to California.

My point exactly. Don't change too much. Don't progress too much. Don't include too many outsiders. Don't trust too many new ideas.

Welcome to Arkansas.
I just wanted to thank you a dear friend of mine is thinking of moving there. I just have a bad feeling about her heading down there. I know she believes that the cost of living is agreeable, that the jobs are plenty but she too is a young professional and I don't see her making it out there in the sense of being the creative person that she is. I just want her to make the right decision and would rather her move else where than to Little Rock!

Thanks for your very useful insight and previous experience!

Old 10-13-2009, 01:09 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by estrellakind View Post
I just wanted to thank you a dear friend of mine is thinking of moving there. I just have a bad feeling about her heading down there. I know she believes that the cost of living is agreeable, that the jobs are plenty but she too is a young professional and I don't see her making it out there in the sense of being the creative person that she is. I just want her to make the right decision and would rather her move else where than to Little Rock!

Thanks for your very useful insight and previous experience!
No place is for everyone, but Ar isn't quite like he sees it. Or too many it is not. Certainly it is more rural than cosmopolitan, but the ideas that nothing changes is crazy.

The one thing it is not, unless you live in someplace life Fayetteville, is liberal. If your friend is looking for a place that is very progressive and yes, politically liberal most of Ar wouldn't work.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area