Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 06:45 PM

165 posts, read 524,533 times

Advertisements

Hello Little Rockers!

Gonna be in town next week ... long-time Fayetteville resident so I'm a fellow Arkansan. We wanna do a quick 2-3 day trip out of town before going back to school and we want to visit the state capitol. So I would like any suggestions on ...

• Places to stay in the downtown area (would prefer to be right downtown).
• Things to do (gradeschool age kiddos - certainly want to go to the capitol).
• Unique to LR places to eat that are family friendly.
• Anything to do with art, museums, city culture, etc.
• What's unique to Little Rock that we gotta see ...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 07:40 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,785,443 times
The Art Museum would be a good place to go, it will be worth the trip to come see the Egyptian exhibit they will have come in September [I think].

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/LITNO/main.wnt is on the North Little Rock side of the river but it's very affordable and you're still downtown.

There is a pizza place downtown that says its kid friendly. I work downtown and might go downtown tomorrow just to get out, when I find out the name, I'll let you know it, unless someone beats me to it.

Purple Cow is NOT downtown but it's VERY family friendly (I've experienced plenty of loud obnoxious kids there and everyone seems to think it's fine). They have two locations in the Little Rock area: Purple Cow Restaurant-Family Dining in Little Rock

If you're in the mood for pizza, American Pie is pretty kid friendly. They have an arcade and their pizza is very good. Welcome to American Pie Pizza

There is a little playground downtown that's good for kids. It has a nice little fountain they can play in.

The Museum of Discovery is fun depending on the age group.

While you're downtown, stop by the library and pick up an issue of Little Rock Family. They will have lots of events in there.

The trolley is always something kids like. It isn't a long route by any stretch but kids are only 50 cents to ride.

The Heifer Village is very educational and it's free. You can ride the trolley there.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
The Art Museum would be a good place to go, it will be worth the trip to come see the Egyptian exhibit they will have come in September [I think].

Little Rock Hotel - Wyndham Riverfront Little Rock Hotel Reservations is on the North Little Rock side of the river but it's very affordable and you're still downtown.

There is a pizza place downtown that says its kid friendly. I work downtown and might go downtown tomorrow just to get out, when I find out the name, I'll let you know it, unless someone beats me to it.

Purple Cow is NOT downtown but it's VERY family friendly (I've experienced plenty of loud obnoxious kids there and everyone seems to think it's fine). They have two locations in the Little Rock area: Purple Cow Restaurant-Family Dining in Little Rock

If you're in the mood for pizza, American Pie is pretty kid friendly. They have an arcade and their pizza is very good. Welcome to American Pie Pizza

There is a little playground downtown that's good for kids. It has a nice little fountain they can play in.

The Museum of Discovery is fun depending on the age group.

While you're downtown, stop by the library and pick up an issue of Little Rock Family. They will have lots of events in there.

The trolley is always something kids like. It isn't a long route by any stretch but kids are only 50 cents to ride.

The Heifer Village is very educational and it's free. You can ride the trolley there.
All sound like great suggestions! We especially want to ride the trolley - even if we just go in a big loop ...

I remember an art museum close to downtown - called something like the 'Arkansas Modern Art Museum' ... does that still exist?

Old 08-08-2009, 11:24 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,269 times
I second the suggestion for the Museum of Discovery. But beware that it closes early (I think at around 5, even on weekends). I showed up at 4:45 one day with my kid and they were already closing, but it looked really cool from what I could see.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:55 AM

157 posts, read 517,906 times
You need to go to the Heifer Global Village. It's an interactive museum on poverty and sustainability and it's FREE and it' s downtown.

Also, you might want to check out the Big Dam Bridge around sunset. That way you'll see it go down right over or around Pinnacle Mountain. Easily one of the most incredible recreation areas in the state--and considering it's in LR proper--middle america too. It's the longest pedestrian-only bridge in the world that was built for that purpose.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the River Market. That's pretty much what people mean when they say downtown.

The Capitol's ok, but it's really a downer on that end of downtown. I still can't believe that these ultra-crappy brick rectangles that house auto part stores and the like are on prime real estate by the Capitol.

The museum you're thinking of is the Arkansas Arts Center. You'll want to check its website, as well as the Clinton Center's, for what exhibits are in town.

Old 08-09-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridicter View Post
You need to go to the Heifer Global Village. It's an interactive museum on poverty and sustainability and it's FREE and it' s downtown.

Also, you might want to check out the Big Dam Bridge around sunset. That way you'll see it go down right over or around Pinnacle Mountain. Easily one of the most incredible recreation areas in the state--and considering it's in LR proper--middle america too. It's the longest pedestrian-only bridge in the world that was built for that purpose.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the River Market. That's pretty much what people mean when they say downtown.

The Capitol's ok, but it's really a downer on that end of downtown. I still can't believe that these ultra-crappy brick rectangles that house auto part stores and the like are on prime real estate by the Capitol.

The museum you're thinking of is the Arkansas Arts Center. You'll want to check its website, as well as the Clinton Center's, for what exhibits are in town.
General Information - Arkansas Arts Center Beware they ALSO close at 5.

I second the Big Dam Bridge. The only downside is that it's REALLY busy on the weekend. You have a mix of skaters, cyclists, and pedestrians. It's not a good mix sometimes. The one thing that turns me off from the Big Dam Bridge is all the people. On the Little Rock side of the bridge, there's a park that isn't too far off. I like Burns Park more myself.

Burns Park in North Little Rock is a good park for kids. They have a playground area as well as a place you can just walk.

Of course the River Market is fun. How could I have forgotten. I just figured since the OP wanted to be downtown, they would eventually run into the River Market. You pass that before you get to the Museum of Discovery.

You have the Farmer's Market on Saturdays, there's a nice little Bake shop called Brown Sugar Bakeshop. They have some really good cupcakes and cookies.

http://www.rivertrail.org/

Also with the hotel, I would try to call the hotel directly and see what kind of deal you can get. I'm sure travel hasn't exactly been booming. Also if you offer to pay in cash, that might lower your rate. Any time you use a credit card or debit card, that's money out of that business' pocket for a fee they have to pay to Mastercard, Visa, American Express, etc.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:08 AM

837 posts, read 2,248,974 times
lots of great suggestion!

the pizza place downtown in the River Market: probaby Iriana's? (which is actually a block or so up from the River Market proper.)

Gusano's is another pizza joint in the River Market.

Old 08-09-2009, 12:51 PM

Sounds like so things we will do ... will definitely check out the River Market. What about DamGoode Pies, is that still the best pizza pub in LR? And let me ask - is the waterpark still open (Wild River I think it was called).

Old 08-09-2009, 01:31 PM

Yeah Gusano's is the one that advertises it's family friendly.
Iriana's is also pretty good and I'm sure they wouldn't have a problem with families. Whenever I go (after around 1-2) it's not all that busy.

Yes Wild River Country is still open. It's a bit run down but it's still a lot of fun. I prefer Magic Springs but Wild River Country is much more affordable and parking is free.

I've heard DamGoodPies isn't all that good.
My favorite pizza places:
1) Shotgun Dan's (especially their meat lovers)
2) American Pie Pizza
3) Iriana's (love their cheese pizza)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area