U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 05-11-2010, 10:56 PM
 
10,902 posts, read 9,092,339 times
Reputation: 15736
Default Thinking of moving to Little Rock--- Advise welcome

Hello Everyone! We had been thinking about moving to PA from Long Island NY mostly due to cost of living issues. The house we thought we had fell through. SO....
A relative of mine a former Long Islander loves Little Rock and is encouraging me to move there.
I really would enjoy a milder climate, longer springs and autumns. The area seems beautiful and I have been told that the people are friendly.
I have no negative conceptions about Little Rock or Arkansas in general. How do Arkansans feel about people from NY?
We have 2 teenage kids and good schools are important to us. I have been told that there are public magnet schools that are quite good. Any recommendations?
I am NOT expecting Little Rock to be like NY - nor would I want it to be. I am moving because I want a change and I expect and welcome change in my life.
What areas of Little Rock would be best suited to a family who likes older homes - mid century to Victorian to craftsman, likes diversity - not into McMansions
We are a little arty not a cookie cutter family and we are very open and accepting of others.
That said , safety and good schools are important.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2010, 02:54 AM
 
Location: Quapaw Quarter, Little Rock
838 posts, read 1,359,336 times
Reputation: 342
Arkansans got no beef with NYers!

My son has attended LRSD magnet schools since kindergarten and I highly recommend them. What are your kids' interests? Each magnet has a theme so you can find one to suit your child. For example, my son is into theater and is loving Parkview Arts and Science High School.

I live in the Quapaw Quarter in a 100-year-old house and I love it here, surrounded by beautiful homes and history. It is downtown, but I find it plenty safe. Hillcrest, the Heights, and Capital View have beautiful Craftsmans and other older homes, while Lakewood (in North Little Rock) and Cammack Village (Little Rock), among other neighborhoods, have plenty of fabulous midcentury homes.

I'd recommend you come for a visit and see what Little Rock has to offer for yourself!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 11:35 AM
 
10,902 posts, read 9,092,339 times
Reputation: 15736
Thanks for the quick response! The areas you describe sound really nice! I will look into them.
My kids are polar opposites - my son is into art and music while my daughter excels at science and math. They are both creative but in different ways.
Do you know which magnet schools would best serve them?
I will check into those areas!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 PM
 
Location: Quapaw Quarter, Little Rock
838 posts, read 1,359,336 times
Reputation: 342
Well, Parkview actually serves both of those types of students! There is an Arts side and a Science side. Here is their website:

Parkview Arts/Science Magnet High School (http://lrsdorg.nexpoint.net/secondary/parkview/parkview.htm - broken link)

I'm not sure how old your kids are but Mann is the Arts/Science magnet middle school.

Mann Arts and Science Magnet Middle School (That link is to the LRSD site which has information about all schools in the district.)

eStem is a public charter school in Little Rock that focuses on science, math, and technology. It serves all grades.

https://www.estemlr.net/

There is also a residential high school in Hot Springs for very advanced students.

wwwASMSA
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,947 posts, read 9,181,986 times
Reputation: 4221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hello Everyone! We had been thinking about moving to PA from Long Island NY mostly due to cost of living issues. The house we thought we had fell through. SO....
A relative of mine a former Long Islander loves Little Rock and is encouraging me to move there.
I really would enjoy a milder climate, longer springs and autumns. The area seems beautiful and I have been told that the people are friendly.
I have no negative conceptions about Little Rock or Arkansas in general. How do Arkansans feel about people from NY?
We have 2 teenage kids and good schools are important to us. I have been told that there are public magnet schools that are quite good. Any recommendations?
I am NOT expecting Little Rock to be like NY - nor would I want it to be. I am moving because I want a change and I expect and welcome change in my life.
What areas of Little Rock would be best suited to a family who likes older homes - mid century to Victorian to craftsman, likes diversity - not into McMansions
We are a little arty not a cookie cutter family and we are very open and accepting of others.
That said , safety and good schools are important.
Thanks in advance for any input!
Little Rock has plenty of natural beauty. You might have a problem finding a quaint, older neighborhood in a safe area with good schools though. The Little Rock school district leaves much to be desired...most people who move to Central Arkansas end up living in the suburbs like Benton, Bryant, Cabot, and Conway. Most of Little Rock, outside of a few neighborhoods, is a very cookie cutter mcmansion chain-restaurant lifestyle. Its also very conservative in a religious nature - expect to be asked where you attend church on a regular basis. There are liberal pockets though such as the Quapaw Quarter and Hillcrest. There is an arts scene but remember you are moving to a place thats basically just a large town that thinks its a city, so don't set your expectations too high. What you need to do is decide what it is that's more important to you. Good schools or living in a quaint, charming neighborhood that is socially liberal. In Little Rock its difficult to have both.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 06:08 PM
 
Location: Quapaw Quarter, Little Rock
838 posts, read 1,359,336 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
You might have a problem finding a quaint, older neighborhood in a safe area with good schools though
Untrue. It doesn't matter where you live if your child attends a magnet school, and there are many older neighborhoods that are extremely safe.

Quote:
most people who move to Central Arkansas end up living in the suburbs like Benton, Bryant, Cabot, and Conway
Got stats for that?

Quote:
Most of Little Rock, outside of a few neighborhoods, is a very cookie cutter mcmansion chain-restaurant lifestyle.
Untrue. West Little Rock is McMansion/chain restaurant, the rest is most decidedly not.

Quote:
Its also very conservative in a religious nature - expect to be asked where you attend church on a regular basis.
I have never been asked that in my life except by the occasional Jehovah's Witness at my door.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Little Rock, Arkansas
45 posts, read 105,256 times
Reputation: 23
I've been in Little Rock for almost four years and I love it! Hillcrest or Quapaw Quarter would be the perfect place for you guys! Wonderful homes, great neighborhoods, close to everything that you would enjoy!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:00 PM
 
10,902 posts, read 9,092,339 times
Reputation: 15736
Everyone everywhere seems to stereotype to some degree. I am sure I am somewhat guilty of this myself but I really do try to keep an open mind.

NOT everyone in NY is an agnostic atheist or non church attender.

NYC is different than the rest of NY - but here on Long Island you will find many Assembly of God churches, other Pentecostal and fundamentalist churches, thriving Christian schools and many social and political conservatives.

I am spiritual and a member of a mainline Protestant church. I am also very open to other religious traditions. I do bot think that Rock music or astrology are "of the devil" but there are plenty of people in NY who do.

I rather like rock music - especially indie, punk and alternative which sets me apart from the many soccer moms in my area.

I think I might like it better in LR than I do on LI.!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2010, 04:18 PM
 
Location: Quapaw Quarter, Little Rock
838 posts, read 1,359,336 times
Reputation: 342
I hope you do enjoy it here, sheena! let us know what you think once you've had a chance to visit.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
 
10,902 posts, read 9,092,339 times
Reputation: 15736
We do too! You have been soo much help!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top