Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area
 [Register]
Little Rock - Conway area Pulaski, Faulkner, Grant, Lonoke, Perry, and Saline Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 109,700 times

Advertisements

Had a friend that went there about 10 years ago and went to visit one weekend. A couple of things that struck me: due to its size it felt more like a high school in terms of everyone knowing each other. This isn't a bad thing. Everyone seemed to really enjoy it. It was just different than what I experienced. I went to UT-Austin which was the largest campus in the US at the time with 50K+ (may still be).

Also, that part of the country is beautiful. I believe its at the foot of the Ozarks, but I remember how lush and green it was with big hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:11 AM

209 posts, read 460,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkansasSlim View Post
I can't answer your questions about the area because I don't live there, but my granddaughter just finished her freshman year at Hendrix and is well pleased. She had her choice of about any college/university in the U.S. because of her GPA and other stuff, but after extensive research chose Hendrix where she got a "full ride".
Yes. I agree with this gentleman's idea. The Hendrix and Rhodes (Memphis,TN), Millsaps (Jackson, MS) and Centre ( Danville, KY) are all excellent college in the Mid-South Region. They are all nice and beautiful.

Mostly, these four colleges have the same academic reputation, mission of teaching and great value of service. That will be the best for a South high school graduate for study for undergraduate.

The UA fayatteville is a college town. It same as like Knoxville, TN ( A little bit bigger than Fayetteville, AR). But college town lacking the entertainment and connect to bigger society and community. Conway is just half hour to Little Rock. It is not bad to connect to center of Arkansas.

Old 06-03-2011, 11:34 AM

897 posts, read 2,455,042 times
My daughter decided to go to Birmingham Southern college which is also a "college that changes lives"

Old 06-09-2011, 01:28 AM

7 posts, read 9,255 times
As a long time lover of Arkansas (all of my cousins live down there, it's an absolutely gorgeous state with incredible people!), I was a bit disappointed with Conway. I was always used to dirt roads, hills, people walking, and serious Hog pride whenever we visited- Conway doesn't have much of any of that. Some parts are really beautiful to go for a walk in, though they're mainly residential areas. Conway seemed like a series of strip malls and thrift stores to me.

I went to Hendrix for a year before transferring out for personal reasons. Nothing to do with the college itself or the students, rest assured. Most people adore the school, your daughter would be making an excellent choice if she chose to go there. Great academics, especially the pre-med program. The professors are absolutely wonderful, too! Be prepared, though, because with only a thousand students and no place to really go, it gets pretty cozy.

Check out the Greek place on Harkrider called Blackwood's Gryos, you'll probably meet a Hendrix student or two. (: The address is 803 Harkrider St.

Somethings Brewing is another popular hangout for Hendrixians, and with good reason: it's literally a block away from campus and located in a very cool, green cottage. It's super relaxed and has an entirely wooden interior, making it stand out from newer buildings. I highly recommend even just stopping in for a visit. It's at 1156 Front Street.

Conway's not a far drive from Little Rock, either!

Old 06-09-2011, 12:36 PM

2,457 posts, read 7,381,460 times
My granddaughter just finished her second year at Hendrix (I think earlier I wrote "first year"), got a summer job at Hendrix, lives in a Hendrix Village apartment, and is one happy lady
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Little Rock - Conway area