Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 09:07 AM

22 posts, read 24,987 times

Advertisements

I was born and brought up in Brixton in the late 70's/early 80's. Admittedly large parts of it were quite rough and ready back then, a lot of the surrounding areas were too like Stockwell, Clapham (Northside), large parts of Battersea, Streatham etc.

The areas themselves have changed admittedly, a lot of the council/social housing sold off, most of these areas now offer a good choice of nightlife and entertainment be it (food, drink etc), the demographics of these areas have changed too, not massively but enough for it to be noticeable.

None of these areas were no-go though and some of the stories you hear about these areas back in the 80's are widely exaggerated.

I think these days, a lot of the seedy areas tend to be right out in zone 4 or 5, basically outer-London type areas that have lacked investment and as such have nothing to offer the kids on the street.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsyzzurphands View Post
Brixton is a mixed area that has some tensions between the newly arrived "gentrifiers" and long time, mostly Caribbean native residents. A lot of their concerns are valid but overall the area seems safe enough that I would encourage any tourist to spend time there. Personally on our visits, it is where we stay as I love the neighbourhood and have never felt uneasy there. Its a great area for food (Love Brixton village market and Pop Brixton), music, art and culture.

I am relocating to London in about a week and we chose Clapham to settle for many reasons, but one is that it is near Brixton so we can easily access all it has to offer.

That's not quite right. The tensions are between the long-term residents (NOT mostly Caribbean natives), long-term market stall holders/shop owners and the various landlords or business co-ops that have been popping up more recently and basically trying to push them out by tripling and quadrupling the rents. The situation in Brixton is very complex, but honestly it has nothing to do with new people coming in and long term Caribbean native residents, nothing like that at all.

Old 09-08-2016, 10:13 AM

27,133 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicsoul View Post
I was born and brought up in Brixton in the late 70's/early 80's. Admittedly large parts of it were quite rough and ready back then, a lot of the surrounding areas were too like Stockwell, Clapham (Northside), large parts of Battersea, Streatham etc.

The areas themselves have changed admittedly, a lot of the council/social housing sold off, most of these areas now offer a good choice of nightlife and entertainment be it (food, drink etc), the demographics of these areas have changed too, not massively but enough for it to be noticeable.

None of these areas were no-go though and some of the stories you hear about these areas back in the 80's are widely exaggerated.

I think these days, a lot of the seedy areas tend to be right out in zone 4 or 5, basically outer-London type areas that have lacked investment and as such have nothing to offer the kids on the street.
The whole area has changed dramatically since the 70's and 80's, and the area is set for more change as more wealthy people move in to Battersea, Brixton and the surrounding areas.

Battersea is part of a huge building project – but not for Londoners - The Guardian

What's Happening At Nine Elms? | Londonist

Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The whole area has changed dramatically since the 70's and 80's, and the area is set for more change as more wealthy people move in to Battersea, Brixton and the surrounding areas.

Battersea is part of a huge building project – but not for Londoners - The Guardian

What's Happening At Nine Elms? | Londonist
Not dramatically, Brixton has always had a sizeable middle class community due to its beautiful old housing stock and close proximity to Central London.

It's been through various different waves of gentrification since the 80's.

Brixton has always had a nightlife/entertainment scene too.

What has changed dramatically over the past 5-6 years is the choice on offer in the area with the redevelopment of the markets and the money being pumped into the area from Lambeth Council, it's been a long time overdue, but a very sudden, almost accelerated gentrification. Brixton wasn't really as slummy as people make it out to be prior to its recent reputation, it's just it's become more acceptable for the White "middle classes" to entertain themselves now it's not viewed as a ghetto (less ethnic).

Battersea was gentrified years ago, early to mid 80's, it's gone beyond being edgy and urban, it's where the rich live now.

Old 09-08-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Not dramatically, Brixton has always had a sizeable middle class community due to its beautiful old housing stock and close proximity to Central London.

It's been through various different waves of gentrification since the 80's.

Brixton has always had a nightlife/entertainment scene too.

What has changed dramatically over the past 5-6 years is the choice on offer in the area with the redevelopment of the markets and the money being pumped into the area from Lambeth Council, it's been a long time overdue, but a very sudden, almost accelerated gentrification. Brixton wasn't really as slummy as people make it out to be prior to its recent reputation, it's just it's become more acceptable for the White "middle classes" to entertain themselves now it's not viewed as a ghetto (less ethnic).

Battersea was gentrified years ago, early to mid 80's, it's gone beyond being edgy and urban, it's where the rich live now.
Brixton was never as bad as it was potrayed, however a lot of the unique West Indian Carribean culture has been pushed out in favour of coffee shops and big chains whilst the demographic of the area has also seen some change.

The Author Alex Wheatle talks and writes about his experiences of a changing Brixton.

The gentrification of Brixton: How did the area's character change so utterly? | The Independent

Old 09-09-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Brixton was never as bad as it was potrayed, however a lot of the unique West Indian Carribean culture has been pushed out in favour of coffee shops and big chains whilst the demographic of the area has also seen some change.

The Author Alex Wheatle talks and writes about his experiences of a changing Brixton.

The gentrification of Brixton: How did the area's character change so utterly? | The Independent

I agree, lots of the West Indian community have sold up and gone back home to the Caribbean or moved further afield to places like Thornton Heath or around Croydon. I know a few families (including my mum & dad) who sold their Victorian Terraces for obscene amounts of money, some families have really profited from selling up.

I really rate Alex Wheatle as an author, I have a few of his books at home

Old 09-10-2016, 07:24 PM

861 posts, read 851,907 times
Quote:

I think this is true, it does look like some outer London areas have seen an increase in poorer Londoners as inner city areas have been gentrified.

So areas like East Croydon have gone downhill apparently, with an uptick in crime. In truth I think this is only a temporary phenomenon as poorer folks are having to move even further out than outer London due to housing costs.

While some outer London areas that were historically wealthy like Finchley, Stanmore, Southgate and Richmond etc have still remained pockets of prosperity in outer zone regions..

Luton is a good example of a London satellite town that is really experiencing a sharp increase in poverty. As an influx of poorer Londoners are moving in. This is causing wealthier existing residents to move out.. Slough is another...

Old 09-12-2016, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
I think this is true, it does look like some outer London areas have seen an increase in poorer Londoners as inner city areas have been gentrified.

So areas like East Croydon have gone downhill apparently, with an uptick in crime. In truth I think this is only a temporary phenomenon as poorer folks are having to move even further out than outer London due to housing costs.

While some outer London areas that were historically wealthy like Finchley, Stanmore, Southgate and Richmond etc have still remained pockets of prosperity in outer zone regions..

Luton is a good example of a London satellite town that is really experiencing a sharp increase in poverty. As an influx of poorer Londoners are moving in. This is causing wealthier existing residents to move out.. Slough is another...

Yeah totally agree with this.

Luton has a really bad reputation, I heard there was a mini riot there the other day after the Carnival that takes place in the town on August Bank Holiday.

Croydon has a bad rep too and has had it's fair share of violent outbreaks which have been very well publicised on the news over the past 5 years.

Old 09-13-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post

There will always be poorer areas, just like in any city, although I don't think Slough is an area residents are moving out of, indeed it's on the new Crossrail route, and if anything property and interest in the area increasing, whilst the Heart of Slough scheme has seen a lot of the old concrete pulled down, indeed it's unrecognisable from the days of 'The Office'.

In terms of Croydon it is seen as the next big places for Hi-tech start up's and hipsters, and the town is proud of it's £5 Billion regeneration plans, and again I would say Croydon is actually improving as a place to live.

Finally in terms of Luton, it's at least 30 miles from London in Bedfordshire, and has never been that great an area, indeed it's economy was always closely linked to the local General Motors Vauxhall Car Plant, which still produces Vivaro vans, but is no where near the size it once was. Luton does have it's problems although a £1.5 Billion refurbishment of the City Centre and the expansion of the Local Airport may help improve things in the long run. In fact according to independent consultancy Oxford Economics, the expansion of Luton Airport is set to create 10,500 new jobs over the next 15 years and have a significant impact on the local economy, so it's not all bad news in relation to Luton.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-13-2016 at 06:23 AM..

Old 09-13-2016, 08:04 AM

Quote:
There will always be poorer areas, just like in any city, although I don't think Slough is an area residents are moving out of, indeed it's on the new Crossrail route, and if anything property and interest in the area increasing, whilst the Heart of Slough scheme has seen a lot of the old concrete pulled down, indeed it's unrecognisable from the days of 'The Office'.

In terms of Croydon it is seen as the next big places for Hi-tech start up's and hipsters, and the town is proud of it's £5 Billion regeneration plans, and again I would say Croydon is actually improving as a place to live.

Finally in terms of Luton, it's at least 30 miles from London in Bedfordshire, and has never been that great an area, indeed it's economy was always closely linked to the local General Motors Vauxhall Car Plant, which still produces Vivaro vans, but is no where near the size it once was. Luton does have it's problems although a £1.5 Billion refurbishment of the City Centre and the expansion of the Local Airport may help improve things in the long run. In fact according to independent consultancy Oxford Economics, the expansion of Luton Airport is set to create 10,500 new jobs over the next 15 years and have a significant impact on the local economy, so it's not all bad news in relation to Luton.

Interesting stuff.

About Croydon, whilst its getting huge regeneration, I still question whether after all the changes it will really attract a "hipster" type crowd. Crystal Palace which is fairly close to Croydon offers the perfect "Hipster" experience, will Croydon really be any cheaper than Crystal Palace once it's tarted up?

Even after the changes, will it have enough to rival London as an acceptable substitute? Does it have the period housing that many of the hipsters crave for? The coffee shops/Barista style places? Roof garden venues? Village type high street/side streets etc. That is what Hipsters want and London offers that in buckets in many areas.

Admittedly a lot of areas in London have now been gentrified...at least a lot of areas in zones 1-3, though there are still a fair few areas that are fairly centrally located that could still be gentrified further. Of course these areas are not cheap, but they are certainly cheaper alternatives to places such as Brixton, Peckham and Hackney where everybody seems to want to live these days.

I personally think that folks will settle for ungentrified/gentrifying areas in London before even considering Croydon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London