Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2010, 07:56 PM

4,287 posts, read 8,011,082 times

Advertisements

Russian guy from Texas here. How are you guys enjoying the snow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 09:50 AM

309 posts, read 810,291 times
Where I am it is only about 4-5" so it is more of an inconvenience than anything else! I prefer the snow to be really worthwhile or not bother at all

Having said that I am moving to Texas in February so maybe I shall start to miss seeing snow then!

Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 PM

22 posts, read 54,208 times
It's interesting to see the British society almost collapse just because of a bit of snow, here in Norway we pretty much have snow constantly from November to April (sometimes worse) and we do fine.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:29 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAA View Post
It's interesting to see the British society almost collapse just because of a bit of snow, here in Norway we pretty much have snow constantly from November to April (sometimes worse) and we do fine.
I was supposed to fly into Heathrow from the US last Saturday. We rebooked for today and now find our flight is again cancelled.

Seriously, what kind of 3rd world country cannot get a major airport open? Its not like they had a lot of snow even ... maybe 50 cms over a couple of days. There are plenty of places that get a lot more than that but deal with it just fine.

But we know the routine. Apologies all round, someone will resign, we will be told that "lessons have been learned" .... until the next time when it will happen all over again.

Old 12-20-2010, 09:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,623,112 times
Quote:
If we knew we were going to have snow for months on end then we would also be able to cope, maybe not as well as you because we are more densely populated, but well enough. Our major airports/motorways are much more crowded than yours, so it's easier for congestion to happen. We don't have winter tyres/snowploughs/practice in how to drive in it etc because we had a long period when it didn't snow much (maybe one or two times a year in the bigger cities) so investing in proper snow removal infrastructure and all the stuff you have would not have been worth it. Even now, when councils are under pressure to stop all this chaos we might not have a snowy winter again for a long time, so is it financially worth the investment?

Old 12-20-2010, 11:16 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If we knew we were going to have snow for months on end then we would also be able to cope, maybe not as well as you because we are more densely populated, but well enough. Our major airports/motorways are much more crowded than yours, so it's easier for congestion to happen. We don't have winter tyres/snowploughs/practice in how to drive in it etc because we had a long period when it didn't snow much (maybe one or two times a year in the bigger cities) so investing in proper snow removal infrastructure and all the stuff you have would not have been worth it. Even now, when councils are under pressure to stop all this chaos we might not have a snowy winter again for a long time, so is it financially worth the investment?
Months on end? You cannot even deal with one day of snow

Old 12-20-2010, 03:00 PM

22 posts, read 54,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Didn't mean to offend anyone, was just being a bit sarcastic. Of course many things will be more difficult to handle when a city (London) has about 1,5 times the inhabitants of the whole of Norway. I've never lived in the UK so I don't know much about the climate but if it doesn't snow much (like a few times a year) of course it's not fair to expect that your country will focus nearly as much on snow removal etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 01:31 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,697,874 times
There's no snow in my area (West Sussex) it rained yesterday, snow was washed away, the temp here is + 4c.

Gatwick airport is performing a lot better than Heathrow it seems. Usually GSSA England has very mild Winters, especially the South coast.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:34 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,623,112 times
Quote:
Didn't mean to offend anyone, was just being a bit sarcastic. Of course many things will be more difficult to handle when a city (London) has about 1,5 times the inhabitants of the whole of Norway. I've never lived in the UK so I don't know much about the climate but if it doesn't snow much (like a few times a year) of course it's not fair to expect that your country will focus nearly as much on snow removal etc.
I know, just saying. I went on the train from Oslo to Bergen one year and was just amazed at how much snow there was outside, i.e. snow deeper than I am tall. Of course nobody else was looking out of the window taking photos, just this stupid tourist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London