Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 10:52 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times

Advertisements

in a bit over a years time the biggest sporting event in the world will be hitting these shores, but what do people think, was it in the interest of the uk to get the games or is it an almighty waste of tax payers money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 11:16 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Funny that you should ask that, because just today I went over to Stratford to see how the building's coming along (quite well, it'll be finished way in advance). I'm looking forward to the Olympics, not only as a big sport fan. There'll be a buzz about the place, a once-in-a-lifetime chance to see the world's biggest event on our doorstep as well as a legacy of some more world-class sports facilities. There aren't many events outside the London area so for you up in Scotland it quite possibly is just a waste of money if you've no interest in coming to watch it, but a lot of that money has gone towards renovation work that needed to be done anyway, and should be largely offset by not only tourist revenue but selling the new homes created (which is what the Olympic Park will be after it's all over), the benefits of the improved transport links, the higher profile London will have (investment), the jobs created by hosting the Games, etc. I've actually signed up to be a volunteer at the Games, but as it's something like seven times oversubscribed I doubt my name will be pulled out of the hat.

Old 01-09-2011, 11:46 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
I for one am looking forward to it, like you said its a once in a lifetime event, and with the commonwelth games in glasgow 2 years later it should be an brilliant few years for britain sport wise, hopefully it will get lots more people interested in sport, and we can show the world we can put on amazing international events. but i am aware some people think it is a bit of a gamble, and other people think with the current economic climate its not the right thing to do, so hopefully we will get a good debate going, and find out the pros and cons of the olympics

Old 03-17-2011, 01:53 PM

643 posts, read 1,122,664 times
I'm really not. With hindsight i think that we can see that we could have done with the money rather than spending it. It should however help improve parts of East London economically.

Another good thing is that security will be tight so hopefully athletes and supporters will be safe unlike if it was being help in a 'poorer' country. - May sound harsh but i think it is fairly true.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:35 PM

134 posts, read 302,457 times
It will do a lot for London, but London is not at the centre of the United Kingdom, nor do all the taxpayers live there.

For many people getting to events in London will be very difficult (probably impossible.)

I understand the 'London Countdown Clock' stopped the other day ... did somebody forget to pay it, or did they not have enough money to pay the electricity bill?

Old 03-18-2011, 05:36 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
It will do a lot for London, but London is not at the centre of the United Kingdom, nor do all the taxpayers live there.

For many people getting to events in London will be very difficult (probably impossible.)

I understand the 'London Countdown Clock' stopped the other day ... did somebody forget to pay it, or did they not have enough money to pay the electricity bill?

It does generate about 40% of the UKs GDP though..

Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM

78,379 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Well, there are short-term costs but in the long term if visitors have a great time they are likely to tell others and thus boost tourism.

I have a relative that *may* be competing there (it's a sport where the US is very very good at so making the US team is incredibly hard but if you do you have a decent chance at a medal) and if they do I will be spending a good chunk of money to attend.

Old 03-18-2011, 08:44 PM

134 posts, read 302,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Well, there are short-term costs but in the long term if visitors have a great time they are likely to tell others and thus boost tourism...
Will it really provide a long-term boost for tourism? Are there many potential tourists who have never heard of London; people who are likely to e persuaded to visit the place by an Olympic games?

In the early 1970s Roger Whittaker sang a song which went:

"Enger-land swings, like a pendulum do,
Bobbies on bicycles two by two ..."

I suspect that may have done more to promote tourism in London than the Olympic games will.

And it cost rather less, too.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:48 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quite tempted to fly over for them. I think it could have a really fun, down to earth atmosphere if done right.

Old 03-20-2011, 11:01 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Why have some cities already hosted the Olympics like 3-4 times, while other major metropolises haven't even hosted it once? Hold it in NYC or something before you hold it in London for the 3rd or 4th time .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London