Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 AM

5 posts, read 11,251 times

Advertisements

I am a 60-year-old woman, American, live in a suburb of NYC. I am retired and live on a fixed income of $1,342. My currency calculator tells me that in British pounds that would be just under $822.

I am in a bit of a different situation than most people I've read here who are moving to London from the U.S., because of the above factors. I would not be moving to London to take a job, or because of a spouse's job (I'm divorced). I do have a daughter, but she is a young adult, living on her own now.

My reasons for moving to London, if I did, would be because I've always wanted to live there. I visited London once, with my family, when I was 18, and it did not disappoint. I remember standing in Westminster Abbey, in a state of awe, because I was standing where Charles Dickens was buried. I'm sure London has changed a lot in the intervening years, but some things don't change, right? It's still London.

I could go on for pages about my feeling for London. I think largely it's because my father was a huge anglophile, and he was there for some period of time during WWII. My father came from The Netherlands (and my mother from France), so I have a feel for many things European.

Another detail that might be relevant is that I am Jewish. I am not at all observant, but I do want to live in a place where there is at least some degree of Jewish community. Can anyone here speak to that? I know it's hard if you're not Jewish yourself to say what it's like to be Jewish in London!

Other questions: Most important, would it be even possible to find a decent place to live in London for what I could afford, with an income of only 822 British pounds? I do not at all need luxurious or fancy; I don't need a big place -- a one-bedroom or even a reasonably large studio would do, and the neighborhood does not have to be fashionable -- just safe and within easy reach by public transportation of the arts and cultural places in London. (I am not a sports buff or a pub crawler so don't require that!).

Any suggestions and/or information you can give me would help. Also, what are the steps I would need to go through to even get permission to live in the UK, given that I would not be following a job offer? Would that even be possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:22 AM

16,660 posts, read 17,426,834 times
I'm sure people with better knowledge than me will post, but the short answer is forget it as far as the financial side goes.

Rental alone would wipe most of that out before you even look at anything else.

As to whether you're Jewish or whatever I can't see that would make any difference at all.

Others are far better informed as to the legal situation.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:10 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,649,687 times
If your parents were born in Europe then you would qualify for an EU passport I believe, which means you can come and live here. Golders Green is one area I know of with a strong Jewish community, but that budget is not going to be enough to live that comfortably.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:20 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,192,280 times
Without even considering anything else, I think you will find London (or anywhere in the UK) to be too expensive for your income. On that income, if you want to live in Western Europe, look into Portugal. But, what about health care? I believe you must do much more research on your plan. I share your appreciation of the European lifestyle, but it's beyond the means of most of us, myself included.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:27 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,887 times
Golders Green flats. Find flats to rent in Golders Green, North West London

Can't be done on that budget, in my opinion.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:37 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,636 times
Retiring to the UK is virtually impossible for a non-EU citizen. The only way it can be done is to qualify for an Investor's visa which would require a £1,000,000 investment. So you need to claim EU citizenship through a parent then you can live in any of the 27 member countries of the EU. Check out the embassy websites of France and the Netherlands to see how you go about that and hopefully get yourself a French or Netherlands passport. Then you are all set legally but money is going to be a problem ...

Old 04-18-2011, 05:36 AM

Yeah, I'm not surprised by what you're all saying about the money issue. I expected that; i just didn't know if there was any possibility at all, but it sounds pretty unlikely that I could afford London.

However, that said, it's quite helpful for me to know that I can apply for an EU passport based on my parents having been born in Europe. That's good information. I really thank you guys.

Re the health care issue, I have Medicare now, but obviously I can't use that in Europe. I guess I was thinking I would be covered by the British health care system, *IF* my budget would allow me to move there in the first place. But it's a moot point with my income being so low, I guess.

But again, thank you all for answering my questions, and especially for the EU passport info.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 AM

Default EU Passport

I just spoke with someone at the Dutch Consulate General in NYC, and he told me I cannot get an EU passport on the basis of my father having been born in The Netherlands. He would have had to retain his Dutch citizenship (he didn't; he became a U.S. citizen), or I would have had to apply for Dutch citizenship before I turned 28, which obviously I did not do. He said I could qualify for Dutch citizenship by living there for several years (and presumably meeting other requirements), but that's also obviously not what I had in mind.

He did confirm for me that every country has a different policy, so it's still worth my while to contact the French embassy. Not today, though -- I used up all my courage for this day on that first call.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:53 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,147,995 times
honestly with that budget no chance. even a flat (apartment )share will cost you the majority of that in London IF you are lucky and settle for a ghetto. add in food (more expensive than the US) and any other costs and you will be broke within months. sorry to be so brutal but it is better to find out before jumping

Old 04-18-2011, 11:10 AM

Don't be sorry; that's why I'm asking these questions. I appreciate your honesty.

Kathy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London