Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 AM

95 posts, read 160,886 times

Advertisements

Interesting observations chicagocubs, but it's also worth bearing in mind that not all US cities and states are all urban sprawl, endless fast food restaurants & indoor gyms. Cities in the northeast aren't like that at all. A greater number of people walk, don't eat fast food and use mass transit to get to work. Like London, many people in NY don't own a car either.

There are plenty of indoor gyms in London, but they're not as obvious as the plethora of big box fitness centers we have over here, such as Bally's or 24 Hour Fitness. Generally in the UK, you have more opportunity to walk, run or cycle, rather than pay expensive gym membership fees. Working fewer hours each week helps too.

The UK does not have quite as many fast food chains as the US. It's mainly McDonalds, BK, KFC & Pizza Hut. Pity that Wendy's never really caught on.

Americans are also much more into the aesthetics of fitness, to look good rather than be healthy. Many fitness gyms are almost like night clubs (which is why I cannot stand them, or the obnoxious music they often play). You can be healthy in London by walking & taking the train to work, cycling or doing weights at a smaller gym, or take up boxing. The plethora of indoor gyms in the US are a bi-product of the car culture, after years of guilt for eating huge portions of fast food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 02:52 PM

40 posts, read 69,766 times
There are lots of gyms in London, and health is very much top of mind for Londoners. They walk a lot also, and fast, so might get in a minimum of 50 minutes cardio just through walking

Old 06-18-2011, 09:57 AM

142 posts, read 442,935 times
Gyms/health clubs are widespread in London, some of the leading companies are Virgin Active, Fitness First, Nuffield Health and LA Fitness.

All local authorities have to provide sports and leisure facilities for their community and although the facilities aren't as plush, local authority gyms offer you a place to work out at a much reduced cost vs. private gyms. The Seymour Centre in Central London is a good example of this.

The YMCA just off Tottenham Court Road is a low-cost centre that has excellent facilities as well.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Gyms/health clubs are widespread in London, some of the leading companies are Virgin Active, Fitness First, Nuffield Health and LA Fitness.

All local authorities have to provide sports and leisure facilities for their community and although the facilities aren't as plush, local authority gyms offer you a place to work out at a much reduced cost vs. private gyms. The Seymour Centre in Central London is a good example of this.

The YMCA just off Tottenham Court Road is a low-cost centre that has excellent facilities as well.
Interesting subject. Last time I was in London, I didn't notice fitness centers, but assumed they had to exist since I saw people who looked like they worked out. We also have "recreation centers" in the U.S. that are built by individual cities. I walk to one in my neighborhood that has two indoor pools, basketball courts, sauna, weight room, and plenty of cardio equipment (treadmills and the like). Sounds like the same concept.

Old 08-11-2011, 06:12 PM

2,300 posts, read 6,183,871 times
I belong to LA Fitness in Chicago, and look what I found...

Health Clubs & Gyms - Fitness Centres & Gym Membership - LA fitness

Looks just like the one at home, who would have thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London