Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 04:56 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
I'm in the US and have never been to a real English Tea Party.

The minister of my church was born in England. As a fundraiser, he's throwing a Tea Party. What does a nearly 50 year-old woman wear to a traditional English Tea Party? Pictures appreciated.

Thank you so much.
Something short and tight That ought to do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:59 PM

410 posts, read 949,368 times
I think the OP might be disappointed by the reality of an English tea party.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:08 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
I think the OP might be disappointed by the reality of an English tea party.
Really?!! Fill us in. My Mother and her friends love attending these garden parties which they try to "follow" in English style. Their ideas come out of magazines although they did have some English war brides they used to take "direction" from. The look they wear is sleeveless linen dresses with jackets if it is cool out, tasteful jewellery, and a few ladies do wear hats and gloves. (More hats than gloves). My Mother had me purchase a small fantasizer hat for her, and I had to admit that it looked lovely; although I was doubtful at first. The women my age in their 40's and early 50's usually dress in very pretty sundresses, a little more jewellery, and pretty sandals. No flip flops or really high heels. I've gone to a couple of these functions to keep my Mom happy. They like little cucumber sandwiches, clotted cream, and other little dainties. Heaven forbid after all these years they should be doing in all wrong

Old 07-18-2011, 10:45 PM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
Oh dear! I think I am too "chunky" for a sleeveless sundress! Let alone "something short and tight" as mentioned above. And the only "sundress" I do own is an I-can-get-away-with-that-because-it's-an-old-hippie-style dress, and I'm "old" and fancy myself a hippie. I wouldn't think it appropriate for an English Tea.

Guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and go out and buy something. I hate shopping!

Of course, since the minister has been here since he was nine years old, and I don't think anyone else attending is going to do that much research, I'm probably over-thinking this and could go in an office-appropriate dress, which I have, and one-inch pumps which are the only dress shoes I buy. I don't think anyone else is going to go to any trouble other than dressing nicely.

Last edited by PatsCats; 07-18-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 07-18-2011, 10:48 PM

Oh yes, I do believe clotted cream is on the menu, which I am dying to try despite the name, and Marmite.

Mmmmmmmm...Marmite!

Old 07-19-2011, 04:08 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
I hope you get proper clotted cream. I did find some decent clotted cream (might have been imported) in the US but your dairy products are generally pretty dire.

Await backlash.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezer View Post
i hope you get proper clotted cream. I did find some decent clotted cream (might have been imported) in the us but your dairy products are generally pretty dire.

await backlash.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I hope you get proper clotted cream. I did find some decent clotted cream (might have been imported) in the US but your dairy products are generally pretty dire.

Await backlash.
I'm not too sure how the cucumber sandwiches will be on the bread here. All the bread I have tasted is much sweeter than in Europe.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

Await backlash.
No backlash, but Jezer, you are living the life of Riley across the pond, so do tell us what a proper English teaparty should look like. I really am curious. Or if anyone else wants to tell me, I really do want to know.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 AM

16,656 posts, read 17,422,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
No backlash, but Jezer, you are living the life of Riley across the pond, so do tell us what a proper English teaparty should look like. I really am curious. Or if anyone else wants to tell me, I really do want to know.

The life of Riley taiga?

I hate to disappoint you but I don't know what a proper English Teaparty is like.

Growing up in Yorkshire they were seriously into High Tea which they had mid afternoon. High Tea consisted of smallish sandwiches and many various cakes and buns, lemonade etc and of course tea! Bearing in mind this was over forty years ago I'm happy to be put right as to whether this still goes on.

My main point is that we have a whole range of dairy products that I could never find in the US.

The range of types of milk and cream and even butter is far greater here than I found in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London