Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 03:33 PM

33 posts, read 115,602 times

Advertisements

Is there any affordable housing available for married couples that have pets? We have to live near Kings Cross/Camden/Russell Square area. We want a place that isn't extremely tiny because we don't want our pets on top of us at all hours.
I've been searching the listings on gumtree for weeks and the responses I get are all from spammers. I'm so tired of it.
Please help me. My husband and I just want to live together in a flat that is reasonably sized and will accomodate our 2 pets. It seems it will be impossible for us to live in London. A place with a dishwasher, washer/dryer, and queen sized bed would be ideal.
Is this too much to ask for on two postdoc salaries (together I hope we are bringing in 40,000 pounds per year)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2011, 12:36 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,334 times
You are not going to find a cheap flat in Russell Square. If it were me I would live a couple of miles north of there, Finsbury Park perhaps, and cycle in but then I'm a tightwad.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:31 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,388 times
Renting with pets is always going to restrict your options.

Renting a large place in Zone 1 with pets, on a salary of £20,000? Good luck with that.

Pick a tube or bus route, and look north or east; a very long distance.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:18 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,240 times
When do you want to move? How much do you want to pay per week or month? Does it have to be that central in London or could you consider the suburbs, south of the river or even outside London altogether (eg; Kent)? Have you factored in cost of living (utilities, groceries, transportation) in London vs where you live now?

Pets Allowed - Museum street lovely 2 bed apartment in Museum Street, London Wc2, London | 2 Bedroom Flats & Houses for Rent | Gumtree.com

Museum Street, lovely split level apartment close to tube & shopping in Museum Street Wc1, London, London | 2 Bedroom Flats & Houses for Rent | Gumtree.com

Old 07-23-2011, 08:26 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,290 times
Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. London is the worst place to rent and have pets especially dogs. Before I bought I rented for a few years, but never mentioned my pets to the landlords. By the time they found out, it was obvious my dogs and I were good tenants.

Try FindaProperty.com Houses for sale, rent, estate agents & house prices

Gumtree is good, but be careful of scammer and don't part with money until you are here.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:35 AM

587 posts, read 1,466,290 times
I suggest you also look in Islington which is just a few minutes away from Kings Cross. Area such as Farringdon, Clerkenwell, Hackney, Stoke Newington, Victoria Park Village, Dalston and Hackney Central is also worth a look, but definately Islington.

Old 07-23-2011, 10:58 AM

410 posts, read 949,307 times
All the postdocs I've met have lived in West Norwood, SE27. Its not a fancy area, but rents are reasonable and it's a good area for buying fresh fruit.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:57 AM

276 posts, read 762,864 times
You'll need to expand your search to zones 2-3 and beyond, and you can find nice apartments of a decent size on the 1,000-1,500 pounds a month range, which I would think it's a reasonable rent for a 40,000 pound a year salary.

There are so many possible areas though, we could spend all day listing them. You should probably do a bit of your own research and come up with a list of places that sound good and maybe people can comment more specifically on them (that's what I did before moving here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London