U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-23-2011, 04:00 AM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,742,133 times
Reputation: 1418

Advertisements

For those of you who have lived in or visited the U.S., what city would you say is the most similar to London? The only one I can think of that is remotely close is NYC, and to a smaller scale Seattle. Maybe San Francisco and Los Angeles are comparable as well.

 
Old 07-23-2011, 09:20 AM
 
Location: London.
587 posts, read 796,062 times
Reputation: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
For those of you who have lived in or visited the U.S., what city would you say is the most similar to London? The only one I can think of that is remotely close is NYC, and to a smaller scale Seattle. Maybe San Francisco and Los Angeles are comparable as well.
Jesus, where do some of you come up with these questions? London is like no other place in the world. FACT.
 
Old 07-23-2011, 11:56 AM
 
Location: London, UK
412 posts, read 517,378 times
Reputation: 311
I would say possibly Indianapolis or St Louis. Obviously London is very unique because of the way it was divided up during the Austria-Hungary times.
 
Old 07-23-2011, 12:43 PM
 
Location: NY-NJ-Philly looks down at SF and laughs at the hippies
1,152 posts, read 329,971 times
Reputation: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
For those of you who have lived in or visited the U.S., what city would you say is the most similar to London? The only one I can think of that is remotely close is NYC, and to a smaller scale Seattle. Maybe San Francisco and Los Angeles are comparable as well.
I agree NYC is the most like London, but I do not see the Seattle connection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Jesus, where do some of you come up with these questions? London is like no other place in the world. FACT.
I agree, there is not an American city like London. However, the question was "most similar" to London.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
I would say possibly Indianapolis or St Louis. Obviously London is very unique because of the way it was divided up during the Austria-Hungary times.
IMO, Indianapolis and St Louis have nothing in common with London.
 
Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 PM
 
Location: London
1,068 posts, read 939,607 times
Reputation: 974
Boston, by a mile, although to me it resembled Liverpool more in the 90's. Boston, especially South Boston and Charlestown are similar to London and New York in a way, in that the indigenous population is slowly being replaced by implants and that traditional areas of old are being gentrified.

Famous bands that are well known in England like the Clash and the Jam are well known in Boston but no-one would have heard of them outside the North-East.

Musical tastes are similar, the Irish connection not a million miles away from English culture either, despite the troubles.

The architecture is similar in parts, it has Harvard University, the equivalent of Oxford or Cambridge, and has a section of the population that likes to drink beer and have fights. Pretty much the same round my way. As close as it gets i suppose. You did also have a tea party there once I presume?
 
Old 07-23-2011, 01:34 PM
 
2,111 posts, read 1,999,531 times
Reputation: 1474
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin Hubard View Post
I would say possibly Indianapolis or St Louis. Obviously London is very unique because of the way it was divided up during the Austria-Hungary times.
?? London has nothing at all to do with Austria-Hungary. And the rambling, curvy street patterns, and brick row-houses of London and all other Euro cities are completely different from the straight grid street pattern and detached wooden houses of Indianapolis. No comparison at all.
 
Old 07-23-2011, 01:55 PM
 
2,683 posts, read 5,742,133 times
Reputation: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Jesus, where do some of you come up with these questions? London is like no other place in the world. FACT.
Actually London can also be compared to Paris and Tokyo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
I agree NYC is the most like London, but I do not see the Seattle connection.
The Seattle and London connection is mainly due to similar climates, fish and chips, and the Canary Wharf area reminds me of Downtown Seattle. There is also a clock tower in Seattle that looks like a smaller Big Ben.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gateway Region View Post
IMO, Indianapolis and St Louis have nothing in common with London.
I think the Indianapolis and St Louis comparisons were just that poster's British humor.
 
Old 07-24-2011, 03:20 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,042 posts, read 8,919,892 times
Reputation: 2228
OK, my opinion is that Chicago is what most closely resembles London. They, in fact, had close ties in the late 1800's and early 1900's from a merchant perspective. Many wealthy Chicagoans went to London for their parties, etc.

The oldest retail store in America, Marshall Field's is in Chicago and the original owner, Marshall Field, designed the store to be similar to a high-end London store (possibly Harrod's?) with some of the very same services provided. The merchandise was imported primarily from London and I think that Mr. Field's heritage was English.

Like London, Chicago is an old city (of course, not as old as London) but has the many neighbourhoods that are enclaves of different immigrants. Yes, I know that NYC has this also, but, the feel and the vibe in Chicago is more London-esque.

There is even a huge ferris wheel now that is right by a lake (in Chicago) and even the police officers have the same checkered pieces on their hats.

In fact, that is one of the biggest things that I love about London: it is like Chicago without the crime!!
 
Old 07-24-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Scotland
431 posts, read 340,725 times
Reputation: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
OK, my opinion is that Chicago is what most closely resembles London. They, in fact, had close ties in the late 1800's and early 1900's from a merchant perspective. Many wealthy Chicagoans went to London for their parties, etc.
Chicago and London resemble each other, I suppose, much in the same way that Rio de Janeiro and Houston do. They're both rather large, and maybe quite hot & humid, but that's where the similarities end.

If you want a city that resembles Chicago, try Glasgow. Both had their heyday at roughly the same time. Both have similar architectural styles, and both have boring, grid-patterned city centres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
In fact, that is one of the biggest things that I love about London: it is like Chicago without the crime!!
London without crime? Venture off tourist path and you're in for a rude surprise.
 
Old 07-24-2011, 03:36 PM
 
5,447 posts, read 3,985,199 times
Reputation: 2218
Boston, it is a hybrid English/american city. Both have rather crazy streets, a river that flows in a Westnorthwest direction, and simalar architecture. Also Boston beers at bars are served in English pints not bottles like the rest of the country. Picadilly Circus is like Post office Square, and Both cities Transit networks are bais towards the north part of the metros.
And we have ravid sports fans.
Geographicly Boston is the Closest US city to London.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top