Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 12:39 AM

24 posts, read 105,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
There been quite a few calls for the army to be brought in but I am not sure just how effective they would be.
Imagine armed troops on the streets of London and if some one was shot.
Surely bad as it is it hasn't got to that stage yet?
It doesn't seem like the army would be brought in, at least that is not what they are considering now. The army is not technically trained in riot control so while they would add in numbers, they might not be effective.

I know a few students who were discussing this, saying that it's not just senseless violence. As I keep watching the news, I find it harder and harder to believe that it's dissatisfaction with the government, cuts, etc and not just people bandwagoning. Why attack middle class families and businesses? That's hardly sticking it to the gov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 AM

6,030 posts, read 5,940,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
The only way the Los Angeles riots in 1992 (after the Rodney Kind beating trial verdict) were stopped was after the National Guard, Army and Marines were brought in (by the thousands). It grew beyond the scope of the police. Then again, they were much more deadly to begin with - but the property damage was no worse than what you're experiencing.
Yes I am aware of how LA handled their disturbances. Then again they already had criminal elements who had weapons and pretty hardcore from what I gather. Hopefully that will never become the British way to handle civil disturbances on local streets.

Remember a rather large number of the London looters are teenage thugs and a bit of a laugh for some of them.

I feel there are far more effective ways to manage this but the police standing around while looters help themselves is most certainly not one of them.

Old 08-09-2011, 02:17 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,545,145 times
Quote:
Yes I am aware of how LA handled their disturbances. Then again they already had criminal elements who had weapons and pretty hardcore from what I gather. Hopefully that will never become the British way to handle civil disturbances on local streets.

Remember a rather large number of the London looters are teenage thugs and a bit of a laugh for some of them.

I feel there are far more effective ways to manage this but the police standing around while looters help themselves is most certainly not one of them.
I don't see how waiting for the rioters/looters/hooligans/anarchists to get bored is much a deterrent to this happening again. The troops in L.A. weren't acting as if they were in Syria - there were exactly three incidents involving fire and two of them involved gang members trying to kill them by running them down with cars. Of the three incidents there was only one fatality (the gang banger refusing to stop trying to run them over). Considering what was going on they showed remarkable restraint. I know I'm looking at this from a different paradigm than your country, but I got the feeling from your post that you may have thought we did it "wrong". If that wasn't your intent I apologize.

Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarae View Post
It doesn't seem like the army would be brought in, at least that is not what they are considering now. The army is not technically trained in riot control so while they would add in numbers, they might not be effective.

I know a few students who were discussing this, saying that it's not just senseless violence. As I keep watching the news, I find it harder and harder to believe that it's dissatisfaction with the government, cuts, etc and not just people bandwagoning. Why attack middle class families and businesses? That's hardly sticking it to the gov
Very true. Don't agree with the deployment of the army myself.
Have heard that police numbers are to be doubled on the streets tonight to number some 13,000.

I guess working class targets are more accessable than targeting the richer areas of West/Central London.

Could anything positive come out of this? There is certainly a class of folk doing it hard in London.
Often it takes some severe actions to get something done. Regardless than many of the looters had little if any political agenda.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:57 AM

175 posts, read 202,064 times
Think it will quiet down in london tonight with so many old bill on the streets.
My guess is it will kick off in places like Birmingham due to London pinching police officers from them maybe? Crazy scenes in croydon! People burned out of their homes.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
Think it will quiet down in london tonight with so many old bill on the streets.
My guess is it will kick off in places like Birmingham due to London pinching police officers from them maybe? Crazy scenes in croydon! People burned out of their homes.
Think your probably right. The riots will fizzle out with isolated incidents happening in different locations.

Old 08-09-2011, 05:21 AM

Disgusting behaviour here

LESS THAN NERO » Speechless. » By Milo Yiannopoulos (http://yiannopoulos.net/2011/08/09/speechless/ - broken link)

Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
The man shot in Croydon during last nights violence has died

Old 08-09-2011, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boycee View Post
Disgusting behaviour here

LESS THAN NERO » Speechless. » By Milo Yiannopoulos (http://yiannopoulos.net/2011/08/09/speechless/ - broken link)
Indeed but far from unique to London.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Indeed but far from unique to London.
Very true, just sad to see that some people can act this way towards another human being. Makes my blood boil to be honest.

Paul, whats the score with the bloke shot in croydon? Was he a looter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London