Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 12:39 PM

1,502 posts, read 2,668,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post
no problem I am at my computer so happy if i can help at all
Much appreciated and feel free to post any other thoughts/ideas you have.

Probably all a moot point..every time I post about relocating on citydata about relocating it doesn't happen. Seems like I get punished by the supreme being for asking questions.

Maybe I am not meant to leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 12:42 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,565,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by va_lucky View Post
Much appreciated and feel free to post any other thoughts/ideas you have.

Probably all a moot point..every time I post about relocating on citydata about relocating it doesn't happen. Seems like I get punished by the supreme being for asking questions.

Maybe I am not meant to leave.
If you keep trying maybe you can escape one day

Old 09-14-2011, 12:48 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
Quote:
Good idea...what about affordability and housing close to London? I don't want a BIG house but would prefer to live in detached housing with my family.

Also don't want to live in an area with too much in your face anti-scottish/ anti-american/religious sectarianism sentiments. Say what you want to me, but with my kids I draw the line. Having lived in the UK before, I know that both exist. No way getting around it, but I would rather avoid it.

As far as flights, well they unfortunately have to be from Heathrow to meet a peripheral requirement of non-stop flights.

Seriously, you Americans need to take a deep breath and live. The sentiments you expressed regarding peoples attitudes is the least of your problems and is not an issue in this country...at least in progressive parts like London.

Train fares are going up again in January, so I'd suggest staying as close to London as possible. As for areas, without knowing you, it's hard to suggest an area, But check out parts of Hertfordshire.

Old 09-14-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Seriously, you Americans need to take a deep breath and live. The sentiments you expressed regarding peoples attitudes is the least of your problems and is not an issue in this country...at least in progressive parts like London.

Train fares are going up again in January, so I'd suggest staying as close to London as possible. As for areas, without knowing you, it's hard to suggest an area, But check out parts of Hertfordshire.
Lol, just going with what I have encountered. There are problems here like there are problems there. These are real concerns that I expressed which were are very real to me and mine because we lived them. It doesn't get any more real than that.

Good to know London is more progressive than that. We can go back and forth all day, but I am looking to avoid the elements stated because at the end of the day they are important to me and nothing is going to change that no matter where I live. I am sure that plenty of folks in the UK are able to avoid that garbage largely based upon where they live.

I'll check into Hertfordshire.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:02 PM

The majority of UK citizens are more concerned about wether the newcomer/immigrant is going to be a drain on the already over subscribed NHS and benefit system or is going to be a positive benefit and pay taxes etc. after that it will really come down to personalities.
There are lots of other immigrant groups that the average Brit is 'anti' at the moment I am afraid......
That aside you will always be the target of jokes. Thats is just how things are

English make jokes about the Welsh who make jokes about the Scotts who make jokes about the Irish. They all make jokes about the Germans, French and Americans......

Old 09-14-2011, 01:06 PM

587 posts, read 1,466,850 times
Quote:
Lol, just going with what I have encountered. There are problems here like there are problems there. These are real concerns that I expressed which were are very real to me and mine because we lived them. It doesn't get any more real than that.

Good to know London is more progressive than that. We can go back and forth all day, but I am looking to avoid the elements stated because at the end of the day they are important to me and nothing is going to change that no matter where I live. I am sure that plenty of folks in the UK are able to avoid that garbage largely based upon where they live.

I'll check into Hertfordshire.
Have you visited the UK?

Old 09-14-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
The majority of UK citizens are more concerned about wether the newcomer/immigrant is going to be a drain on the already over subscribed NHS and benefit system or is going to be a positive benefit and pay taxes etc. after that it will really come down to personalities.
There are lots of other immigrant groups that the average Brit is 'anti' at the moment I am afraid......
That aside you will always be the target of jokes. Thats is just how things are

English make jokes about the Welsh who make jokes about the Scotts who make jokes about the Irish. They all make jokes about the Germans, French and Americans......
That is good if is the majority. Never will forget when I worked on the helpdesk at a large financial firm in Glasgow. One of the big wigs would call the helpdesk all drunk and give me anti-american and anti-scottish abuse. It's hard to argue with actual experiences.

Hopefully that attitude is not the status qo because I sho aint movin if it is.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal is a mess View Post
Have you visited the UK?
I already stated that I lived there. "Lol, just going with what I have encountered. There are problems here like there are problems there. These are real concerns that I expressed which were are very real to me and mine because we lived them. It doesn't get any more real than that."

Old 09-14-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
That is good if is the majority. Never will forget when I worked on the helpdesk at a large financial firm in Glasgow. One of the big wigs would call the helpdesk all drunk and give me anti-american and anti-scottish abuse. It's hard to argue with actual experiences.

Hopefully that attitude is not the status qo because I sho aint movin if it is.
you will always get one..... someone will always want to argue with someone else based purely on race/nationality/colour, either you have to learn a few good comebacks or ignore them and not take it personally.

I've had people in Hong Kong when we lived there give me a hard time ' you white people smell like dairy' or people get up and move when you sit next to them........usually on public transport. My standard reply was 'if us white people are so bad why do you honkies spend so much money on skin bleaching?' I also never let my american friend pick where we eat cos I tell her all she knows about it burgers. Its harmless p***taking...... she base some great anti Brit humor to hit me back with.....

Old 09-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
you will always get one..... someone will always want to argue with someone else based purely on race/nationality/colour, either you have to learn a few good comebacks or ignore them and not take it personally.

I've had people in Hong Kong when we lived there give me a hard time ' you white people smell like dairy' or people get up and move when you sit next to them........usually on public transport. My standard reply was 'if us white people are so bad why do you honkies spend so much money on skin bleaching?' I also never let my american friend pick where we eat cos I tell her all she knows about it burgers. Its harmless p***taking...... she base some great anti Brit humor to hit me back with.....
hahahahahaahahaha nuts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London