U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 09-26-2011, 08:38 PM

175 posts, read 158,600 times
Default Accommodations for 2012 Olympic Games

We are planning to attend the 2012 Olympic games. I know most of the events are in Stratford. We are looking for family friendly accommodations for at least 2 families. One suggestion was given to us to stay in the Canary Wharf or the Docklands areas. That looks a little pricey. They also suggested staying east of Stratford and not staying in the west side of the city and traveling through central London due to traffic. Can anyone suggest any other cities, specific hotels or homes that are more reasonably priced? Things that are important to us are: clean but doesn't need to be fancy, family friendly and possibly close to a train or other public transportation that we could take into the games. Kids ages range from 10 - 16. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are quite clueless. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 09-27-2011, 02:37 AM

969 posts, read 1,579,447 times
You can get high speed trains from the county of Kent to Stratford.

That opens up Rochester, Canterbury, Ashford, etc.

Highspeed

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...journey/search

There are some spots like Ebbsfleet I wouldn't bother with.

Unread 12-03-2011, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
We are planning to attend the 2012 Olympic games. I know most of the events are in Stratford. We are looking for family friendly accommodations for at least 2 families. One suggestion was given to us to stay in the Canary Wharf or the Docklands areas. That looks a little pricey. They also suggested staying east of Stratford and not staying in the west side of the city and traveling through central London due to traffic. Can anyone suggest any other cities, specific hotels or homes that are more reasonably priced? Things that are important to us are: clean but doesn't need to be fancy, family friendly and possibly close to a train or other public transportation that we could take into the games. Kids ages range from 10 - 16. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We are quite clueless. Thanks in advance.
We are going to london too during the Olympic Games. I spent many hours looking for low priced Hotel and finally I found a website (I think It's under construction) but It has lots of links where I booked our Hotel. The price are reasonable.
Check travelxcitement.com
Hope it helps you as it helps us

Unread 12-04-2011, 01:35 AM

I would ignore the spam and google tourist information for whatever area you are looking at.

Unread 12-06-2011, 01:56 AM

9,424 posts, read 5,107,467 times
We've got a spare room- 400 a night and only two hours from London.

Oh! These people that are looking to cash in on the Olympics!

Unread 12-09-2011, 06:50 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
We've got a spare room- 400 a night and only two hours from London.

Oh! These people that are looking to cash in on the Olympics!
Don't blame anyone for trying.
I mean, look at the amount of money that's been spent on the Olympics with the economic situation as it is.

We've been encouraging my mother in law who lives in Essex to rent her 2 spare bedrooms and do B&B.

Unread 12-09-2011, 07:32 AM

1,997 posts, read 1,923,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveorangecounty View Post
Try these
Premier Inn Ilford
Booking.com: hotel Premier Inn Ilford, Ilford, United Kingdom - 21 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!
Wanstead is a nice small town with a choice of places to eat and a couple of grocery stores. My husband lived there. Wantead park is part of Epping Forest .

Holiday Inn express London-Newbury Park
Booking.com: hotel Holiday Inn Express London - Newbury Park, Redbridge, United Kingdom - 208 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!

St Georgio Hotel, Gants Hill
Booking.com: St Georgio Hotel, Ilford, United Kingdom - 89 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!

County Hotel Woodford
Booking.com: The County Hotel Woodford - Greater London, Redbridge, United Kingdom - 115 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!

Premier Inn Loughton/Buckhurst Hill
Booking.com: hotel Premier Inn Loughton/Buckhurst Hill, Buckhurst Hill, United Kingdom - 55 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!

Trinity House hotel Walthamstow
Booking.com: Trinity House Hotel, London, United Kingdom - 43 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!

Have you tried here?
Airbnb Search

Unread 03-08-2012, 08:07 AM

1 posts, read 1,128 times
Default Place To Stay During Olympics

Hello.
My name is Ricardo and I am newbie to this forum.
I'm really excited about the summer olympics in London.
If everything would turn out fine here in my workplace, there will be a great chance for me to witness the Olympics there in London.
I am in my planning stage at the moment and I am wondering if where in London I could find a very convenient place to stay for the entire duration of the Olympics?
I hope I could find one that is near or walking distance to any of the olympic sport venue.

Unread 03-08-2012, 10:33 AM

9,424 posts, read 5,107,467 times
Good luck!

Unread 03-09-2012, 02:28 AM

I think you will be lucky to get anything within walking distance of the venues.

Last edited by sunshineleith; 03-09-2012 at 02:39 AM.. Reason: orphaned material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London