Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 10:37 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,332,450 times

Advertisements

I am young and planning to go to London for a week by myself and stay in a hostel dorm. I wanted to know what area of the city would be best for me. I'm looking to stay in a hip fun area that will have me close to everything. Not necessarily a touristy area though. I'm from Chicago in the USA so I'm used to big cities but don't know much about London.

Thanks

[url=http://www.hostels.com/london/england]London Hostels Listing - All Hostels in London from Hostels.com[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,313,257 times
Based purely on my own prejudices, Earls Court or anywhere near the left of the Circle Line (the yellow one on the tube map), anywhere within the Circle Line, or failing that there were a couple from your link in Camden Town. Victoria would be OK.

Centrally, I would avoid King's Cross or around the right hand side of the Circle Line. As a tourist I would never go south of the river, or too far north; come to think of it, avoid suburban outer London completely. These are all very vague, and you may find something great if it is yards from a tube station.

Use Google Streetview to see if you are on a busy road.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:06 AM

886 posts, read 2,214,258 times
Camden Town... Eat market food at Camden lock too, its tasty and cheap...

Old 10-03-2011, 05:33 PM

410 posts, read 947,049 times
Most younger people who know what they're doing usually gravitate towards east London - Shoreditch and Brick Lane are the most obvious spots, but you could also try Clerkenwell and Farringdon if you prefer to be a bit more central and urbane, or Dalston or Bethnal Green if you're a little more adventurous.

There are obviously lots of other spots you could try - Waterloo has a few decent hostels and is a good jumping off point for the rest of the city; Soho in the West End still has a great atmosphere in spite of being such a well-established entertainment area.

I have to disagree with the last two posts. Most places around the west side of the circle line will either be expensive, or dominated by other tourists, or rather dull. One possible exception could be North Kensington, around the top of Portobello Road - it's a fun and mixed up sort of area with lots to see, and Portugese and Morrocan communities add to a lively street culture. King's Cross has lots going on at the moment and could certainly be of interest, and although it's true that it has a bad reputation for safety, I doubt that it's any worse than the tourist spots of the West End. Camden Town is a dump and totally dominated by tourists, and while there are some great pubs and venues there, I wouldn't recommend it as a general area in which to get a taste of London. If you want good, cheap market food, try Brick Lane, the top end of Portobello Road, or Brixton - and of course there are countless others. Camden would be close to the bottom of my list.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,268 times
There are several places to stay...depending on your taste and budget. I like the Old Church Street B&B please check reviews [url=http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g186338-d309384-r81598137-Old_Church_Street-London_England.html]Wonderful - the best place to stay in London - Old Church Street, London Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor[/url]

Old 10-04-2011, 05:30 PM

410 posts, read 947,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmash View Post
There are several places to stay...depending on your taste and budget. I like the Old Church Street B&B please check reviews Wonderful - the best place to stay in London - Old Church Street, London Traveller Reviews - TripAdvisor
Looks like a nice place, but given the op is looking to stay in a hostel, it'll be over his budget by an order of magnitude. Hostels are also much better for meeting people, which is fairly important as a young solo traveller.

Old 10-04-2011, 05:34 PM

I chose one hostel along southwark street and another in cambden. Too many choices.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:43 AM

142 posts, read 441,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Based purely on my own prejudices, Earls Court or anywhere near the left of the Circle Line (the yellow one on the tube map), anywhere within the Circle Line, or failing that there were a couple from your link in Camden Town. Victoria would be OK.

Centrally, I would avoid King's Cross or around the right hand side of the Circle Line. As a tourist I would never go south of the river, or too far north; come to think of it, avoid suburban outer London completely. These are all very vague, and you may find something great if it is yards from a tube station.

Use Google Streetview to see if you are on a busy road.
It's not the 1980s anymore. Can we please stop peddling this 'don't go south of the river' nonsense as it's a ridiculously out of date thing to say.

Old 10-08-2011, 06:11 PM

2 posts, read 4,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
It's not the 1980s anymore. Can we please stop peddling this 'don't go south of the river' nonsense as it's a ridiculously out of date thing to say.
Actually - keep peddling it. It's complete nonsense of course, but we in South London benefit tremendously from the lack of tourists.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Currently just south of the river in southwark and its not a bad area. Good night life and everything. However, I was expecting more from London based on what I read from people comparing it to Chicago. The architecture and skyline is nothing compared to Chicago. For being a financial capital and "world class city" I was expecting bigger and more high rises. The pace of life also seems a little slower and more casual, but people are much more polite. I was watching people walk around after work and they just don't seem as clean cut and serious as Chicago professionals. The nightlife is good though. Seems like the bars were packed from after work until late every night. It's like people don't even go home. They go straight from work to the pub and don't leave until late. The SOHO area round Chinatown was pretty cool. Tons of bars and restaurants. I noticed that the bars love their rainbow colored diskoballs. They seem to be at every bar and the bars plan mostly american music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London