U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 12:27 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,322,293 times
Default London Metropolitan Region Population

I've read the different view on what the London Regions population is. The numbers run from 13M to 18M and even 21M.

I've looked at the map region around London and in my opinion these counties are what would constiture Metro London by American standads. I also researched the included counties on the periphery of this London Region and confirmed that many of the towns in these counties (i.e. Wellingborough) have strong commuter ties with London. Let me know what you think and if it makes sense to you guys and gals.

London
Buckinghamshire
Essex
Hampshire
Hertfordshire
Kent
Cambridgeshire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Suffolk
Surrey
West Sussex
East Sussex
Isle of Wight
Bedfordshire
Berkshire

Based on the latest estimates available, I calculated a total population for the London Region at;

London is 70% white
London Region is 83% white

Please chime in....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 12:57 AM

4,442 posts, read 3,371,203 times
That's about half the country then! We don't think of or refer to metro populations the same way the US does and it would be news to a lot of people certainly in Suffolk and the Isle of Wight (definitely disagree with that one) to hear they are considered part of a wider London region and I doubt many would agree or be happy about the idea to be honest. We have some of the strictest planning laws around to AVOID London encroaching on the rest of the southeast like that, whether people living there commute to London or not and however many ex-Londoners there are living in those counties. Ask a British person what the population of London is and most of the time they'd refer to the figure for Greater London (the 31 boroughs or however many there are) which is something like 7.8 million.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:05 AM

14,361 posts, read 7,853,330 times
London Metro pop. is around 11 million.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:43 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,733,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Based on the latest estimates available, I calculated a total population for the London Region at;

London is 70% white

Please chime in....
We tend not to publish detailed ethnic figures the way American websites do, and they would probably not be that accurate for a number of reasons.

Please give a link for your 20,127,900 figure. Parts of some of those counties have been swallowed by London; the boundary I would generally work to is the M25 motorway. But Cambridgeshire? People in this village would be somewhat surprised you consider them part of London:
six mile bottom - Google Maps
What you have described sounds more like what we call "the south east".

Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 AM

6,583 posts, read 4,455,967 times
Sometimes much more broad definitions are used. Demographia records a population of nearly 14 million for London's metropolitan area. The Greater London Authority has a broader definition still, defining the "metropolitan region" centred on London with a population of 18 million,

Old 10-02-2011, 12:09 PM

145 posts, read 229,445 times
Quote:
I've read the different view on what the London Regions population is. The numbers run from 13M to 18M and even 21M.

I've looked at the map region around London and in my opinion these counties are what would constiture Metro London by American standads. I also researched the included counties on the periphery of this London Region and confirmed that many of the towns in these counties (i.e. Wellingborough) have strong commuter ties with London. Let me know what you think and if it makes sense to you guys and gals.

London
Buckinghamshire
Essex
Hampshire
Hertfordshire
Kent
Cambridgeshire
Northamptonshire
Oxfordshire
Suffolk
Surrey
West Sussex
East Sussex
Isle of Wight
Bedfordshire
Berkshire

London is 70% white

Please chime in....
I grew up in Northamptonshire and it couldn't be considered part of the London Metro. In fact, no part of Northants is remotely like London.

You mention Wellingborough as having strong commuter ties to London. It's approximately 1hr on the train from St. Pancras and a committed minority do make the journey daily but the vast majority of people from the town work within the county or surrounding areas, such as Milton Keynes or Bedford.

Old 10-02-2011, 04:31 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,322,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
We tend not to publish detailed ethnic figures the way American websites do, and they would probably not be that accurate for a number of reasons.

Please give a link for your 20,127,900 figure. Parts of some of those counties have been swallowed by London; the boundary I would generally work to is the M25 motorway. But Cambridgeshire? People in this village would be somewhat surprised you consider them part of London:
six mile bottom - Google Maps
What you have described sounds more like what we call "the south east".

The ethnic population of England and Wales broken down by local authority | News | guardian.co.uk

Actually the ethnic figures given seemed simple and direct.

Here are a few quotes from various forums talking about London-Ipswich etc.. commuting

Docks and related industries are also big (that's why insurance is such a big deal), but most people I know seem to either work in insurance or a BT spinoff. However there have been a large number of refugees from London who are looking for cheap property and have worked out that Ipswich is about 1 hour 15 minutes from London and prices seem cheap by comparison.

I know lots of people who commute from ipswich to London. It's OK and doable but I don't think anyone thinks it's much fun to be honest. The trains here have NOT been at all good on a regular basis, especially when the weather is even vaguely inclement. And a 4 hour round commute is a long, long day. I think it's really taking its toll on my husband TBH, he looks very tired a lot of the time and basically commutes/works/sleeps during the week. He works a short day, leaves home at 7.40am and is in the office for 9.45ish..gets the 5pm train and is home around 6.45pm.

Suffolk is lovely, you would have to carfelluy look at the train times but if you can cope with an extra 15 mins on the train Woodbridge is lovely and the schools fantastic.

If its not going to add too much ont o your journey I would aim for one of the villages on the outskirts. Bealings always looks nice although I don'r knwo much about it.

I know a few people that commute from Ipswich and one from Saxmundham (which is even further) They always get a seat and the trains are pretty good for timekeeping barring leaves, snow, ice or heat effecting the tracks

[BNorth Essex and South Suffolk lie within daily commuting tolerance of London, with mainline rail services running frequently from London Liverpool Street Station to Colchester (50 minutes), Manningtree (60 minutes), Ipswich (70 minutes), Stowmarket (85 minutes) and Diss (95 minutes).][/b]

The commited commuters talked about are more akin to those making the trek to Rugby...

http://www.commuterguide.co.uk/count...ickshire/rugby

Last edited by UrbanQuest; 10-02-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 10-03-2011, 07:45 AM

1,047 posts, read 1,733,333 times
Most ethnic figures will be based on census data up to ten years old that certain groups are less likely to fill in, and large numbers of illegal immigrants will actively avoid. And you are less likely to find such figures published on Wikipedia in the UK than in the USA; I can't think of a British equivalent site to City Data where every city, town, and village is broken down in ethnic terms.

As for your London Metropolitan Region theory. You are entitled to believe it if you wish, but the majority of those you have lumped into it, simply do not recognise any such place, or believe they are a part of it.

Old 10-03-2011, 08:09 AM

1,287 posts, read 1,243,109 times
Quote:
I've looked at the map region around London and in my opinion these counties are what would constiture Metro London by American standads
Using American standards an area would count as Metro London if 25% of people commute to core London. So you can't just guesstimate metro London by using the map, you have to know the commuter rates for each place.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:40 AM

3,062 posts, read 3,990,413 times
I live in Northamptonshire and I can guarantee you that the idea that it (or many of the other areas you mentioned) is part of "Metro London" is laughable to people here. I meet people on a weekly basis that have never even been to London (I am still completely gobsmacked by that, as it is only an hour away by train, but it is what it is) Part of Metro London? Nope.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom > London